2022 MLB

Valuist

EOG Master
Interesting scenario in the Bronx. Double header today between the Angels and Yanks. Have to think game 1 is the "balls to the wall" game for the Angels. Ohtani is pitching/DH'ing and no way he DH's in game 2 after pitching, unless he's knocked out extremely early.

When one has Ohtani, Trout, Ward and Walsh in their lineup, WTF is up with batting Matt Duffy in the cleanup spot?

The three best hitter/pitcher matchups appear to be all the same team (Tigers) going up against Archer. Only three Tigers have more than 10 ABs vs Archer, but those three (Schoop, Cabrera and Baez) absolutely terrorize Archer.1654187767182.png

Last edited:

Valuist

EOG Master
It didn't take long to see Ohtani didn''t have it today. First batter of the game, Carpenter battled him for 10 pitches and Ohtani couldn't put him away. On pitch 11, Carpenter homered.

Heim

EOG Master
Nester Cortes came in as NYY 5th starter. Now top 5 in every pitching category that matters in MLB.

Valuist

EOG Master
Perfect game alert in Yankee Stadium.

edit: shaky hit top of the 8th off glove of Kiner-Filefa.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
So much fanfare for (new and improved) Halo bullpen in off-season.

Bradley, Tepera, Loup. Unfortunately same ol' middle relief garbage.

Valuist

EOG Master
I had to double check because Sciambi, the Cubs announcer said only Pete Alonzo had hit more HRs than Patrick Wisdom in past year, but according to FanGraphs, it's actually Judge and Alonso 1-2. Wisdom only 15th.

kane

EOG master
I'm not even kidding, the first two names that jumped out to me were Judge and Alonso, but I figured they were too obvious so I tried thinking outside the box with my guesses

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
ICYMI, Tampa using 4 outfielders for some opposing batters.

And the MLB powers-that-be may ban that practice, too.

Let the defenders align where they choose to align.

Too many rules and restrictions on the defense.

Simply because the hitters will not adjust and "hit 'em where they ain't."

Heim

EOG Master
And the MLB powers-that-be may ban that practice, too.

Let the defenders align where they choose to align.

Too many rules and restrictions on the defense.

Simply because the hitters will not adjust and "hit 'em where they ain't."

I agree, place fielders at your own risk.

Enough regulation.

However these hitters are like horses. Tough to change their (hitting) style once in the big leagues.

Valuist

EOG Master
Rizzo did a good job of situational hitting last night in the 9th inning. Choking up with 2 strikes and singling up the middle; unlike Gallo, who preceeded Rizzo with a whiff.

But I'm sure the analytics crowd marveled at Gallo's bat speed, and "implied exit velo". It's only a matter of time until we hear about that metric.

Valuist

EOG Master
Some interesting props tonight; Ian Happ only minus 105 vs Edman. Happ destroys Wainwright; 8 for 20 with 4 of those hits home runs. Arenado, facing a LH starter, is actually a dog vs Wilson Contreras. Contreras has homered twice vs Wainwright but only 4 for 23 with 7 whiffs. The O/U for outs for Wainwright is 18 1/2. The over is plus money. Considering the heavy use of Helsely and Gallego last night, have to think Wainwright will be given a very long leash.

Valuist

EOG Master
Whatever happened to Yelich? 80 combined home runs in 2018-2019. Since the start of 2020, 800 at bats and 26 total home runs. And he’s not hitting for average either, at .224 this year. I won’t list all the advanced metrics; you get the idea. And McCutcheon in the same outfield. Turned into two total has beens.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I had to double check because Sciambi, the Cubs announcer said only Pete Alonzo had hit more HRs than Patrick Wisdom in past year, but according to FanGraphs, it's actually Judge and Alonso 1-2. Wisdom only 15th.
I think it was in the last 365 days when he referenced it. I heard the same thing.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Whatever happened to Yelich? 80 combined home runs in 2018-2019. Since the start of 2020, 800 at bats and 26 total home runs. And he’s not hitting for average either, at .224 this year. I won’t list all the advanced metrics; you get the idea. And McCutcheon in the same outfield. Turned into two total has beens.
I think Yelich’s body has broken down. He has looked awful for a couple of years now. He has had a slow swing, don’t know if he has back issues, or maybe a roid guy in the past. He should be batting 6th-7th.

Valuist

EOG Master
I think Yelich’s body has broken down. He has looked awful for a couple of years now. He has had a slow swing, don’t know if he has back issues, or maybe a roid guy in the past. He should be batting 6th-7th.
He’s been a great go against in the total bases props. I think many don’t realize how far he’s fallen off. Back problems don’t tend to get better.

MrTop

EOG Master
No team in the divisional era has lost even 12 straight games and made the playoffs. Just two, the 1970 Cubs (84-78) and the 1987 Brewers (91-71), finished above .500.

Valuist

EOG Master
Red Sox/Angels. Boston has won 7 in a row, the Angels have lost 14 straight. Not even a bump from the Maddon firing. Pivetta is razor sharp right now; Ohtani looked dreadful last week in New York, And yet Boston still at plus money. I'm not going to catch the falling knife with the Angels. Just have to keep going against them, until proven otherwise.

kane

EOG master
Here are the numbers for Sandy Alcantara's last 6 starts

IP 48
Hits 24
BB's 8
K's 48
ER's 3

His record is 6-2 he's got an ERA of 1.61 a WHIP of 0.94 and opponents are hitting .190 against him, right now a case could be made he's the best pitcher in the NL, and the average fan probably doesn't know who he is, if he pitched in LA or NY he'd be a household name

Heim

EOG Master
ICYMI, Alcantara threw 104 pitches yesterday. 84 were strikes.

His first 33 pitches, 30 were strikes!

+1600 to win CY!? 😲

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Looking at some analytics for Pat Corbin. Holy crap, what happened to this guy?

He used to be so good and now he’s a liability. Nationals might be better off just buying him out by now.

Last edited:

Valuist

EOG Master
Lots of high wind games today. The wind is blowing in at Wrigley, but out fairly strong at Boston and Pittsburgh. Very strong crosswind at Citi Field.

The Cubs broke a 10 game losing streak while breaking the Braves 14 game win streak. It was the first time in 23 years a team with a double digit losing streak broke it against a team with a double digit win streak.

Prop of the day? Jose Abreu against whoever he's matched up in total bases. Abreu destroys Verlander; 16 hits in 44 at bats including 6 home runs.

Valuist

EOG Master
The body language of the White Sox is awful. This team is loaded with talent, but they've been hit hard by injuries and it looks like, if I may quote Terry Boers "they are resigned to their fate".

So far today, Pollock completely overthrew the cutoff man, Robert, in the words of Steve Stone, "ran" a double into a single by not running hard. Giolito let a change up get too much of the plate, and Bichette turned it around for 4 runs. And Mendick and Engel both left the game with injures. I see a lot of Cleveland games, and those two teams couldn't be more different. One maximizing their talent, the other seems to be feeling sorry for themselves.

Not sure what's up with Giolito this year. He's been terrible. Last year, his median game score was 60. This year, he's had 12 starts and barely gotten to 60 three times. His last 4 starts before today were 16,41,31 and 24. And that's not counting today's 5 IP 11 hits allowed and 7 earned runs.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The Sox have the look of Maddeon and Pinella’s last year with the. Cubs. The players just don’t look hungry at all.

it’s early, but no one thought the guardians would be in 1st place.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
The Sox have the look of Maddeon and Pinella’s last year with the. Cubs. The players just don’t look hungry at all.

it’s early, but no one thought the Indians (guardians) would be in 1st place
Cleveland Indians: Good balance/ Chemistry, a heckuva good manager, a great bullpen/closer- A lot to like

Valuist

EOG Master
We are almost into July, and Oakland's median runs per game is 2, and up until a few days ago, Detroit was 2 as well.

Probably a lot better betting Oakland under F5, as their bullpen is one of the worst in MLB. How many games will this team lose?