2022 MLB

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Phillies release DiGregorious…a move they had to make….

Harper just got his pins taken out…will be back in a few weeks….Segura back this weekend….

newly acquired Thor starting tonight vs the Nats….

MrTop

EOG Master
Phillies release DiGregorious…a move they had to make….

Harper just got his pins taken out…will be back in a few weeks….Segura back this weekend….

newly acquired Thor starting tonight vs the Nats….

outside looking in. It could be done though. The starters are good. 3b SS weak & OF played bad.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
outside looking in. It could be done though. The starters are good. 3b SS weak & OF played bad.
Bohm is hitting just around .300 and Marsh is now in CF since Herrera got released…Stott is now the SS and Segura is back at second…their defense should improve…and Thor just won his first start as a Phil….

MrTop

EOG Master
Bohm is hitting just around .300 and Marsh is now in CF since Herrera got released…Stott is now the SS and Segura is back at second…their defense should improve…and Thor just won his first start as a Phil….

if you look at my post the the beginning of the year.. everyone looked at the bats but forgot the gloves

casteanllos was one of the worst in MLB in RF

bohn cannot play the field

gegorius he gone--- this guy was horrible at ss

Heim

EOG Master
Judge closed as favorite money to hit a (game) homerun when the NYY were
on their little streak.

You won't see that again with anyone this season.

Heim

EOG Master
It's amazing how you can count on Lance Lynn to fade 2H of season.

Great April/May guy then it starts with the June swoon.....every season.

Valuist

EOG Master
You have what, 10 pitchers on the two All Star teams? And you have a guy in Cease who might win the Cy Young but wasn't deemed worthy of the ASG.

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated
I know he had some injuries starting in 2019 but it's crazy that Didi Gregorius is out of baseball at the age of just 32 years old. From 2016-2018 he hit from 20-27 home runs & 70-87 RBI's and even in 2019 in playing just 82 games he had 16 home runs and 61 RBI's. He was also if memory serves me correct an above average fielder.

MrTop

EOG Master
I know he had some injuries starting in 2019 but it's crazy that Didi Gregorius is out of baseball at the age of just 32 years old. From 2016-2018 he hit from 20-27 home runs & 70-87 RBI's and even in 2019 in playing just 82 games he had 16 home runs and 61 RBI's. He was also if memory serves me correct an above average fielder.

not a good fielder minus 25 runs saves

3rd from the bottom since 2018 ---- fielding bible

over +100 shortstops

the best is correa in that span +49

MrTop

EOG Master
the yankees do not seem the same since they lost their set-up guy king for the year. I will bet against them in playoffs.

kane

EOG master
I need more mic'd up Joey Votto in my life, he was awesome last night, could listen to that guy talk baseball all night

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
As I recall Mr. Gregorius who "replaced " Jeter was a helluva fielder with a rocket arm and was the hitting hero a few years back in the deciding game when the younger Yankees upset the highly favored Cleveland Indians in the playoffs .
I always liked him -but he is not the same Di Di.
There are many many but
Somehow I keep thinking of Chone Figgins who was so very good and then so bad and then out of baseball .

MrTop

EOG Master
Good info! What was Didi in fielding before 2018?

simmons from 2010-2018 was easily the best 176 runs saved.
crawford was second with 78

gegorius 2010-2018 was +6

jeter 2010 -2018 was -62 next to last
jose reyes 2010 - 2018 was -76 last

gegorius was better than jeter I remember that too. Jeter did not get to many balls back then and a weak arm

baseball prospectus use to rip up jeter real bad

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Tatis Jr. inadvertently took a medication to cure ringworm.

That medication contained a banned substance.

That's his story and he's sticking to it.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The suspension will cost Tatis about $2.9 million. Tatis will forfeit $1,510,989 of his $5 million salary this year, covering the final 55 days and 48 games of the season. He will lose approximately $1.39 million of his $7 million salary for the first 32 games of next season, with the exact number to be determined by how many days he misses.

Source: ESPN

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I thought so.

Fernando Tatis Jr's father appeared in the Mitchell Report.

Say it with me: Like father, like son.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
The suspension will cost Tatis about $2.9 million. Tatis will forfeit $1,510,989 of his $5 million salary this year, covering the final 55 days and 48 games of the season. He will lose approximately $1.39 million of his $7 million salary for the first 32 games of next season, with the exact number to be determined by how many days he misses.

Source: ESPN
Chump change

kane

EOG master
Tatis Jr. inadvertently took a medication to cure ringworm.
Yeah, sure he did, funny how every time one of these guys gets caught it's always some medicine they took that just happened to contain some banned substance, just once I'd like to see an athlete tell the truth

MrTop

EOG Master
Former pitcher is letting investors invest in baseball players as they work up to the majors
PUBLISHED FRI, DEC 21 20184:10 PM ESTUPDATED FRI, DEC 21 20184:10 PM EST

• Big League Advance has raised $150 million to invest in the careers of minor league baseball players.
  • They pay players up front for a stake in their eventual MLB earnings.
  • The model is similar to venture capital, says founder Michael Schwimer, a former major league pitcher.
While the stock market may be facing volatile times and investors can’t run away from so many assets moving down together, there’s a creative way to find uncorrelated returns.
Investing in baseball players.

A company called Big League Advance has raised more than $150 million to buy equity stakes in minor league baseball players.
The idea is simple. The players get an upfront payment, but it’s not a loan. They can keep the money forever.
In return, Big League Advance gets a percentage of any eventual Major League Baseball earnings.
Michael Schwimer, a former major league pitcher, founded the company.
“The players get to choose the equity they give up in return for the money they receive,” explains Schwimer. “We might have a scale of a $1 million for 10 percent, or $100,000 for every one percent, and the player can say we will do $300,000 for 3 percent. Our average deal is in the $300,000 to $500,000 range.”
A typical minor league player might make less than $10,000 a year, so getting an upfront payment of $300,000 could be a life-changing amount of money.

As superstar free agents Bryce Harper and Manny Machado are expected to soon sign contracts each worth over $300 million, earning even a small percentage of a contract like that would be big money, and a big win for Schwimer’s investors.
The company’s model is akin to classic venture capital, losing a small amount of money on most investments, with hopes that a few superstars can make up for all the rest.

Schwimer says Big League Advance will lose money on 80 percent of their invested players, but “if you invest in 10 tech startups and one or two become Facebook or Google, you are going to do very well. That’s how we do it, just with baseball instead of tech stocks.”

One benefit of this type of investing is that baseball player salaries aren’t correlated to the whims of the stock market. The big catch? There are no quick returns, and investors have to be patient.

“It’s a very long-term investment,” says Schwimer. “You aren’t a free agent until six years with a major league team. On an individual player investment, we aren’t expecting a return for six to seven years.”

Some current players who have signed up with Big League Advance include Fernando Tatis, Jr. and Jose Osuna, two highly regarded up-and-coming players. The company has invested in over 130 players, and deals are typically confidential.

This week Major League Baseball announced plans to open up the Cuban player market. If that ends up going through government approval, it will mean an even bigger supply of players for Schwimer’s company to invest in.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
Whenever a player gets traded and it makes you scratch your head, I always assume the team moving the player knows something the rest of us don't, and Devin Williams should be more than capable of filling the closer's role
Hader has been terrible since being traded, it's looking more and more like the Brewers knew what they were doing

Valuist

EOG Master
When good teams go bad:

Yankees 3-14 in their last 17
Brewers 6-12 in their last 18
San Diego 6-10 in their last 16

And some teams getting stronger:

Atlanta 11-1 in their L12
St Louis 15-3 in their L18
even the Cubs, 11-4 in their L15

Maybe no winners in that big SD/Milwaukee trade. Williams clearly looks like he's intimidated by being the closer. And Hader, untouchable for several years, continues to struggle.

Toughest beat Saturday? Houston/Atlanta Under 7 1/2. The game is tied 1-1 after 9 innings and ends 5-4 due to the stupid invisible runner rule. I didn't have a play on that game, but I empathize with those who had the under.

Who says one can't bet MLB in August? The Yankees are the gift that keeps giving.

MrTop

EOG Master
yep the yankees just fell apart. Losing the set up relief guy king really hurt but it is more than that. The cardinals were good last year, probably a little better this year.