2023 MLB

Valuist

EOG Master
Slowest working starting pitchers, per Statcast. I see 9 names here going on Thursday.

1680109175113.png

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Will the pitch clock hurt or benefit the nine slow workers on the chart?

Four times to remember:

30 seconds - Time between hitters.

20 seconds - Time between pitches with men on base.

15 seconds - Time between pitches with bases empty.

8 seconds - Hitter must be in the ready position.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Average time of a spring training game in 2022: Three hours and one minute.

Average time of a spring training game in 2023: Two hours and 35 minutes.

That's significant.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Funny seeing people who hate the pitch clock use the potential loss of concessions as an excuse. Drink faster.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
This is priceless, parents are not getting their monies worth because they have to take the kid to the bathroom and will miss a pitch. Who are these people?

kane

EOG master
The batting average rose 8 percentage points during spring training because of the shift rules…
Stolen bases were way up as well with the new rules, last year's stolen base leader had about 40, this year's leader might double that total

Valuist

EOG Master
Is it a problem when your opening day starter can't get any more than 9 outs? 100 losses loom.

And Fried didn't go much further, leaving w/an injury after recording 10 outs.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
Is it a problem when your opening day starter can't get any more than 9 outs? 100 losses loom.

And Fried didn't go much further, leaving w/an injury after recording 10 outs.
I've got the Braves to win the division and the pennant, an injury to Fried isn't ideal, at least it's a hamstring and not his arm, and speaking of injuries I see where the Mets put Verlander on the IL to start the season

MrTop

EOG Master
NBA should get the MLB.tv to make their site games... MLB is always ahead of the other sports watching games. I can see 4 games... plus i could watch more if i open another page .....

Valuist

EOG Master
Note to self: Corbin Burnes isn't a fan of cold weather.

Opening Day 2022 vs Cubs 44 degrees, 5 IP 4 hits 3 earned runs 4 K's 3 BB
Opening Day 2023 vs Cubs 42 degrees, 5 IP 4 hits 4 earned runs 4 K's 3 BB

To put this in proper perspective, Burnes had a streak in 2021 when he had 58 strikeouts without issuing a walk. Have to wonder if he has grip problems in the cold. Command clearly not as sharp.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
Lol...the look on Ohtani's face when Loup killed his 1-0 win prob in the eighth. Same ole Halo bullpen.

Valuist

EOG Master
Relievers clearly effected more than starters. Helsey on St. Louis imploded, Pressley on the Astros was clearly having some issue going on, and Karinchek blew up as well. I know there's more. I didn't follow the Balt/Boston game and Texas/Philly where all the pitchers seemed to struggle. The DeGrom Texas debut....what happened?

kane

EOG master
Lol...the look on Ohtani's face when Loup killed his 1-0 win prob in the eighth. Same ole Halo bullpen.
Even though I've always thought he would leave Anaheim anyway, Japan winning the WBC was the worst thing that could have happened to them, Ohtani got a taste of what winning a championship is like, him and the rest of his teammates were celebrating the way a major league team would had they won the WS, he looked like he was really enjoying the moment, he'll want to play somewhere that will provide him the opportunity to play in that type of environment, play in meaningful postseason games, and it ain't happening in Anaheim. I'm sure the last thing the Angels wanted was for Ohtani to get a taste of winning

Valuist

EOG Master
The White Sox look like a live dog at +128 or so. Garcia the second slowest worker among starting pitchers. Houston's bats asleep until Alvarez' AB in the 9th. Lynn 100% this year, unlike last year.

Valuist

EOG Master
The White Sox look like a live dog at +128 or so. Garcia the second slowest worker among starting pitchers. Houston's bats asleep until Alvarez' AB in the 9th. Lynn 100% this year, unlike last year.
Unfortunately, Javier is going, not Garcia. Although Javier is on the list as well, but still about 2 1/2 seconds faster to HP than Garcia.

cheapseats

EOG Master
Do you think 2.5 is going to have any bearing on the game given the pitch clock which will standardize the interaction. Myself, I think it's a Stat of the past.

Valuist

EOG Master
Do you think 2.5 is going to have any bearing on the game given the pitch clock which will standardize the interaction. Myself, I think it's a Stat of the past.

I think Garcia may have the most trouble, of any starter. He has such a long, unorthodox delivery. that he's probably going to have to alter his delivery.

cheapseats

EOG Master
I believe the clock starts way before release. As long as he has initiated the process, there is no further time frames.

Valuist

EOG Master
Here's the Shit List. This is really reserved for upper tier relievers. Closers and main setup guys. Whether its the pitch clock or just not ready to open the season, be wary of betting full game for teams these relievers pitch for.

Helsley- St. Louis
Graveman- CWS
Pressley- Houston
Karinchek- Cleve
Loup- LAA
Gott- Seattle

Valuist

EOG Master
Curious to see how Bassitt does with Toronto. I am skeptical. He pitched his entire career in the big park in Oakland until last year, then he went to another pitcher's park in Citi Field. Supposedly the Jays have moved fences in so it could be not nearly as advantageous to him. This is a guy with a 2.95 career home ERA but over a full run higher at 4.00 on the road. Not bad, but I do expect some regression from him this year.

Heim

EOG Master
Shows you how misleading run differential can be. Dodgers outscored D-Backs 21-6 in a four game series and only split.

Btw, Syndergard looked good. 93-94 and change up had a lot of movement. He's always liked pitching at Dodger Stadium.

Valuist

EOG Master
Funny story told during the Yankee/Philly game last night re: George Steinbrenner. Apparently, Steinbrenner told an assistant to go thru the Exec/Admin parking lot and find out who backed their cars into the various parking spaces. "Anyone who backs their car in is in a hurry to get the hell out of here!

I can just picture Larry David, as "Big Stein", saying that to George Costanza.

Stevo

EOG Senior Member
Heim:
"Shows you how misleading run differential can be. Dodgers outscored D-Backs 21-6 in a four game series and only split.

Btw, Syndergard looked good. 93-94 and change up had a lot of movement. He's always liked pitching at Dodger Stadium."

Yup so agree. Why is it when I bet a r/l it's a 1-0 game like Ohtani I was on and blows up at end. Many runners left on base blah blah. Next game they scored 8

Valuist

EOG Master
Shows you how misleading run differential can be. Dodgers outscored D-Backs 21-6 in a four game series and only split.

Btw, Syndergard looked good. 93-94 and change up had a lot of movement. He's always liked pitching at Dodger Stadium.

The issue I have with run differential is the scoreboard starts back at 0 each new day. What happened the day/night before doesn't matter. There's no incentives to win by big margin and run differential, to my knowledge, is not a part of any playoff factors. We've also seen many teams go to the position player pitching to mop up in games that are out of hand. This often just distorts the already lobsided score. But the benefit is not using bullpen guys.

Valuist

EOG Master
Heaviest bullpen use so far, by innings:

1. Boston 2. Cleveland 3. Seattle ,4. Houston 5(tie) Oakland and Detroit

MrTop

EOG Master

Baseball Home Runs Are Increasing Thanks to Climate Change, Study Says​

More than 500 major league home runs since 2010 can be attributed to global warming, according to Dartmouth researchers.

George Costanza made hitting home runs sound easy when he described it on Seinfeld: “Calculate the velocity, v, in relation to the trajectory, t, in which g, gravity, of course remains a constant. It’s not complicated.”

While the physics behind baseball may seem unalterable, higher temperatures reduce air density, which makes it likelier for a batted ball to fly farther. That means climate change is now influencing the game — and affecting the frequency of home runs, according to new research.

In a paper published Friday in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, researchers from Dartmouth College find that rising global temperatures have led to an increase in home runs in Major League Baseball games — particularly those played in non-domed stadiums — due to reduced air density.

More than 500 MLB home runs since 2010 can be attributed to “historical warming,” the authors write. “Several hundred additional home runs per season are projected due to future warming.”

The team behind the study — led by Christopher Callahan, a doctoral candidate in geography — determined that a 1C increase in the daily high temperature on the day a baseball game is played (in a non-domed stadium) increases the number of home runs by 1.96%. In games played in the early afternoon, the effect is larger: 2.4%.

Global warming of 2C above preindustrial levels, the upper target set by the Paris Agreement to avoid the most cataclysmic impacts, would translate to several more home runs per year each at Chicago’s Wrigley Field, Detroit’s Comerica Park and Target Field in Minneapolis, according to the research.

Projections of additional home runs per year at different levels of increased warming at US baseball stadiums.
Source: Christopher W. Callahan, Nathaniel J. Dominy, Jeremy M. DeSilva & Justin S. Mankin
“I was inspired to work on this study as a baseball fan, wondering about how climate change will affect the things I care about,” Callahan told Bloomberg Green. “I knew that this link between home runs and temperature had been proposed previously by folks like Dr. Alan Nathan, but I was curious about whether it could be seen in the large-scale data, as well as what the role of climate change might be.”

Callahan and his colleagues looked at 100,000 Major League Baseball games and 220,000 individual batted balls, and aimed to control for other potential drivers such as precipitation, wind speed and the use of advanced equipment and performance-enhancing drugs in the game.

What on Earth?

Jana Houser, an associate professor of meteorology at Ohio State University who was not involved in the research, said that the relationship between heat, lower air density and the trajectory of a baseball is clear. “Warmer temperatures are associated with lower-density air,” she said in an email. “As such, a flying object (like a ball) will encounter lower molecular resistance in the air as a result of it having to move through fewer air molecules. This would imply that for an equal amount of force applied to the ball, it will go further in warmer air temperatures than it will in colder temperatures.”

Each degree of global warming is associated with about 95 more home runs per baseball season. Warming on a high-emissions pathway would cause players across the MLB to hit an additional 192 home runs per year by 2050 and a further 467 by 2100, the authors project.

“While changes in technology and player skill will undoubtedly shape the projections we show here, our results highlight that MLB will need to contend with climate change’s influence on baseball performance,” the authors write. “Steadily rising home runs may alter the incentives for player acquisition, offensive and defensive strategy, and public perception and engagement with the game, with consequences for the business of baseball and its on-field play.”

They propose that MLB make changes including holding all day games at night, as that would minimize the impact of daily high temperatures. Doming existing stadiums would “dampen” the effects of climate change as it pertains to home runs, they write.

“Climate change is reshaping our daily lives in pervasive ways,” Callahan said. “It’s not just heat waves and hurricanes — the ways that we play and have fun are also going to be impacted. While these impacts are often subtle at present, they will only grow stronger as long as climate change continues.”

bloomberg