A question for the hockey guys

kane

EOG master
I'm more of a casual fan when it comes to the NHL, so I'm looking for opinions on the big trade that just happened between the Panthers and Flames. The Panthers traded Johnathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Shwindt, and a first round pick to Calgary for Matthew Tkachuk. On paper it looks like the Panthers gave up a lot, but both Huby and Weegar will be FA's after this season, and they immediately locked up Tkachuk to a long term extension, maybe the Panthers didn't think they would be able to resign those guys so they moved them this offseason, but on paper they gave up a lot I think.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Nobody jumped into this thread because it’s a trade with too many future uncertainties to grade.
Huberdeau and Weeger are both UFA’s just around the corner in 2023.

Short term I’d call it about even. Offensively Tkachuk is elite, while Huberdeau is a tad more elite.
Longer term is fluid, as the song goes, “only a fool would say”.

Bushay

NHL Expert
Panthers knew they cannot win the ultimate prize with the people they traded away to get Tkackuk. Whether it happens or not is yet to be determined, but they know they had to upgrade that upper talent level to get past Tampa and the elite teams in the east. IMO they lost the trade but did what they needed to do to not get the same results as the past couple of years.
Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar and Cole Schwindt are Canadians going home. The 1st 2 already stated they are open to resigning in Calgary long-term. Schwindt was coveted by the Flames. So they got 3 solid players and a no. 1 to boot!
Tkackuk is tough as nails and more importantly, is a "money" player. A difference maker. Something every team would covet.
Both teams benefited from the trade.

Attachments

• 1658981737736.png
    1658981737736.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 1

Bushay

NHL Expert
Just to add a bit more to yesterday's comment. It's really quite amazing what the Flames were able to get for their captain. After losing Gaudreau and learning Tkachuk wanted out, that was quite a haul they were able to get back. None talented as Tkachuk, but they were able to fill 2 holes with quality big-minute-eating bonified NHLers, a 1st round pick, and a prospect I was reading many in the organization coveted. If this was an American team, you can bet they were looking at a significant attendance dropoff.