A stat that caught my eye in the NBA...

kane

EOG master
Ben Simmons has never made a three ball in his career with the Philadelphia 76ers.....was surprised.....

Last year he was 0-11 from deep, this year he has yet to even attempt one, he's made one shot from outside the paint all year which is pretty amazing. He's a great talent, and can do many things on the court, but for him to go to the next level he needs a mid range jump shot, he may never become a three point shooter, but unless he develops some sort of mid range game, he'll remain a very good, but not a great player. He should look at some tape of D-Wade, when he first entered the league he couldn't shoot, everything was going to the basket, driving the lane, eventually he realized in order to take his game to the next level and become a star he needed a consistent mid range shot, he worked hard at it and in time became a very reliable shooter, which is something Simmons needs to do

mr merlin

EOG Master
I saw a stat that over 40 3's were made in the warriors game last night, they said that when the 3 pt shot was first allowed back in the late 70's, something like 10 teams made less than 40 3 pointers for the entire season.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Last year he was 0-11 from deep, this year he has yet to even attempt one, he's made one shot from outside the paint all year which is pretty amazing. He's a great talent, and can do many things on the court, but for him to go to the next level he needs a mid range jump shot, he may never become a three point shooter, but unless he develops some sort of mid range game, he'll remain a very good, but not a great player. He should look at some tape of D-Wade, when he first entered the league he couldn't shoot, everything was going to the basket, driving the lane, eventually he realized in order to take his game to the next level and become a star he needed a consistent mid range shot, he worked hard at it and in time became a very reliable shooter, which is something Simmons needs to do

Nice analysis....I also believe with hard work, Simmons can develop a consistent mid range shot and a good 3 point shot

kane

EOG master
I saw a stat that over 40 3's were made in the warriors game last night, they said that when the 3 pt shot was first allowed back in the late 70's, something like 10 teams made less than 40 3 pointers for the entire season.

The Warriors and Kings set a record last night for made three's in a game, I think it probably gets broken before this season ends, the three point shot has completely changed the way the game is being played, 7 foot centers are now routinely shooting threes like they were guards. Personally I prefer the more physical style of the 80's and 90's as opposed to the up and down racehorse basketball of today, but the league has never been more popular than it currently is, so to borrow a line from baseball, "chicks dig the long ball"

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
Nice analysis....I also believe with hard work, Simmons can develop a consistent mid range shot and a good 3 point shot

Simmons can become a top 5 player, but not without a jumper, if I were him, every day during the offseason I'm shooting 200 three's, 200 mid range jumpers, and 200 free throws, every single day. I don't know much about the kid, so I don't know what type of work ethic he has, maybe he's content with where his game is right now, but if he's willing to put in the work, he can be great

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
That's hard to believe, VD.

Simmons never making a "3-ball" in 120 career games.

You would have thought he would have hit one at the end of the quarter or the end of the half in a desperate situation.

Kane, you mentioned D-Wade developing his shot.

Add Magic Johnson to the list of greats who got better with time and practice.

Magic could hit the standstill "3" by the end of his career.

I love to see when pros get better as the years go on.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Just looked it up: Simmons took only three shots from beyond the arc during his one and only college season at LSU.

He hit one of the three shots in the 2015-16 college season.

Heim

EOG Master
I would have bet this was about DeRozan's first triple double the other night.

Surprised (first) 'Pops' post-game too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd start at getting decent at the stripe before worrying about a jumper. Biggest drawback is his inability to handle the ball and be a playmaker late in the game because he is such a liability at the line.

Heim

EOG Master
Sixers have a problem. With Embiid in you take away some offensive firepower from Harris and Horford. Harris is their best iso guy but Embiid clogs up the key.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
Ben Simmons was declared out for 2H tonight and money came in on.....

Sixers

Last year there was a poll taken among NBA players asking which players were the most overrated

1 Westbrook
2 Simmons
3 Draymond

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Soooo disappointed with his lack of progress. Anyone can develop a shot if you put in the work. I guess he’s happy being a solid nba player, when he could be something special