Adios - for now

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I think most here know I have been having Sciatica issues since Halloween. 99 days later I got a badly needed Epidural in hopes it would stop the incredible pain I felt on an almost 24/7 basis and help make me a functioning human being again. I have lost about 25 pounds - all muscle - and as Jk and others who have seen me can verify - I DO NOT HAVE 25 POUNDS TO LOSE! I am a walking zombie. My biggest fear is falling asleep behind the wheel. If I take out myself only - that would suck but my fear is crashing into a Family of 4 and killing 2 are permanently damaging the other 2

My Epidural worked wonders.....for 40 hours. Now it is like I never got it. Saturday was a sleepless night and I know tonight will be, too. I have calls in to my docs but who knows how that will go

RIGHT NOW I need to be 100% focused on ME and getting ME better. Not who will cover the Monday's UVA/UNC game (UNC wins SU - BTW). I am not coming back until I am better off and can sleep for more than a few nights in a row. I doubt anyone would wanna communicate with me but if so JK and Rail have my number and I am OK with them privately giving it out to anyone who wants it. Same with email - they have that, too

I hope to be back soon but sense I won't. I am terrified at how things have gone, are going and might still be going. Without the incredible help of my way-too-good-for-me family I am somewhat certain things would be very different in my life now. Read into it what you want - odds are you are right.. I am not very religious so "thoughts and prayers" mean nothing to me. THOUGHTS do.

MrTop

EOG Master
try some meds for a good night sleep. Epidurals don't work . Had 4 of them maybe 5. .. try some exercise equipment from amazon to take the sting away if you can do it. Gets the blood movin around. and you get tired easier to sleep too. opioids work much longer but you get use to them at the end. good luck WD

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
My heart goes out to you, Wink.

Never stop fighting and remember the mind and body are closely connected.

Think positive thoughts and I trust your health will improve.

If there's anything I can do for you, simply say the word.

I'll ring your phone tomorrow.

mr merlin

EOG Master
So what do the dr's say to resolve the situation?

Prob the closest I came to your situation was when I had a kidney stone(twice, the first time it was unknown and terrifying), keep in mind nothing lasts forever, even pain.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Winky is in she's perfect shape. Birdie is an obese pile of mush. Yet, Winky is the one with health problems. Birdie plays 6 hours of tennis every weekend and walking 5 miles a day with his eyephone posting disturbing YouTube videos. What the fuck?

Valuist

EOG Master
Try walking. Even if it is painful at first. The first few minutes are tough but once the blood gets flowing you will feel better. The worst thing you can do is sit for prolonged periods. And if you haven't gone to a chiropractor, start getting adjustments. Drugs are good for treating the symptoms, but don't necessarily fix the problem.

MrTop

EOG Master
How about CBD oil worth a shot, take a large dose

does not work fast. could be long term though , but hard to tell if it was not time that made some go away.. Tried it from amazon and some other stores. Mary jane gummies did not work for me either.

opioids work great but you get use to it. Screws up veins long term.

blueline

EOG Master
Someone I know had inflammation and severe pain for years....started taking RSO oil and a few weeks later is virtually pain-free and hasn't taken a pain pill during that time

E$

EOG Dedicated
Sorry man, back problems suck

Take care and get well soon, this place is better with you here

Dell Dude

EOG Master
This is an excuse for Winky to have a happy ending at an Oriental Massage Parlor.

Is massage good for sciatica?

Massage therapy helps alleviate sciatic nerve pain in 2 ways: Tight lower back muscles can place stress on your nerve roots. ... A massage encourages the release of pain-fighting endorphins—this can provide temporary relief from symptoms like the throbbing pain in your foot or the burning sensation in your leg.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I wonder how this compares to back spasms. With that, I can't move at all. Have to lay down. If it's worse and worse than that, good lick.

Really sad to hear this, Duck. I wish there was something I could do to help allievate the problem but that is impossible especially being on the opposite coast .

If I lived nearby I'd be willing to help by offering to do something you needed like a ride, shopping, laundry or whatever.

You're a good guy and far too young to have such serious health issues.

I won't get all religious on and say something generic like God, bless. Religion ain't my bag either.

Just sincere hopes for recovery.

You actually drew me out of retirement from posting, I took a self- imposed ban awhile back and only read the forum occasionally and refrain from posting, but this an exception.

Health issues really suck. I'd rather be dead broke and homeless instead of wealthy, old, and seriously ill

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
You actually drew me out of retirement from posting, I took a self- imposed ban awhile back and only read the forum occasionally and refrain from posting, but this an exception.

Awhile back? Like as in this morning?

Ive seen you power posting over at TheRx the past couple weeks Doug E Doug.

Or did you mean self ban from this forum?

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Like most things, until you suffer from something like this you can't fully appreciate it. I thought guys who had a hurt back were pussies until I got it.

Chiropractor? LOL. Unless you have active litigation and need paper for your case these guys are completely useless.

Will some swear they work? Of course. And some swear their daily horoscope in the newspaper is dead on as well.

Winky, I've been suffering through the same thing for years. I've had every procedure they have recommended....... I've lost count.

Varying results. Some worked, some didn't, some better than others but none of them fix anything long term. The best worked for 6 months or so tops.

Opiods work, surprisingly well in fact and the relief is immediate. Tolerance however comes very quickly and it shuts the body down.

Mundane things like fucking and taking a dump become very difficult with long term use.

Again they do nothing to fix anything and if you have any sort of addictive personality the bridge to heroin is very short and very doable.

What works for me is a little of all of it. I do take pain pills and keep them in the rotation, you almost have to....

I take less than they recommend and when I have a procedure done I stay off them as long as possible.

The break will flush the system and they begin to work again, it seems to restart the immunity my body builds up when taking them without a break.

I also smoke a little weed and that helps. I take a few supplements but not an outrageous amount.

Between shots, procedures (contact me if you want to know the exact kinds), pain pills and weed, I keep mine contained to the point I am totally functional.

Physically I stretch every morning, every night. I walk religiously. I even go to the gym......

I don't life 3 and 4 plates, it's mostly machines where I can control body movements. I feel more comfortable a miscalculation of some sort will keep me from sustaining a serious injury.

Back pain was the final encouragement I needed to lose weight. I've met you before and you do not need to lose weight but I certainly did......

And being a ref (recent I believe) you were probably fairly active. Get back to it ASAP if your Doctor tells you it's safe.

I have a few physical restrictions but not many, chances of making it worse are very low if you follow their advice. Move man, just move.

It's a long and aged truism, if you don't use it you lose it. Another gym slogan I liked and kept taped to my bathroom mirror....

When you think about quitting, remember why you started in the first place. My reminder is ever present.

Chronic pain is like losing a loved one. It never goes away, there is no closure despite what you might hear.

As time goes on the pain remains but you learn to live with it.

That's the mind fuck in all this for me - it never ever EVER goes away. During good or bad times, hell or high water that MF'er is consistent.

It's always there, only the severity of the pain changes. Tomorrow, next week, next year, 10 years from now it's going to be there if we're here.

Friends, jobs, bankrolls and ho's come and go, chronic back pain is forever.

Send me a PM here if you want to chat further. Good luck man, you can do it, you have no choice.

MrTop

EOG Master
electric stim from amazon makes you forget the pain... you will have an electrical pulse now. They can put in inside your body too about $16 - 50

here is another thing :
Knot Hero (3 Pack) - Massage Gun - Chiropractic Massager with Multiple Heads - Trigger Point Massager - Jigsaw Massager - Portable, Rechargeable Massage Device with Variable Speeds
$1099.99 at amazon the chiropractors use it good stuff … I get this done

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
And BTW people out gaming the system do not help matters. There is a stigma attached these days to chronic pain because of these clowns.

Something severe happens and you got to the emergency room, it is not your imagination, those sideway glances from everyone is uniform is very real.

We move on.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Really sad to hear this, Duck. I wish there was something I could do to help allievate the problem but that is impossible especially being on the opposite coast .

If I lived nearby I'd be willing to help by offering to do something you needed like a ride, shopping, laundry or whatever.

You're a good guy and far too young to have such serious health issues.

I won't get all religious on and say something generic like God, bless. Religion ain't my bag either.

Just sincere hopes for recovery.

Health issues really suck. I'd rather be dead broke and homeless instead of wealthy, old, and seriously ill

Thanks for checking in, Doug.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Just off the phone with Winky.

He sounded good but he's dealing with tremendous back pain.

My thoughts are with him.

And BTW people out gaming the system do not help matters. There is a stigma attached these days to chronic pain because of these clowns.

Something severe happens and you got to the emergency room, it is not your imagination, those sideway glances from everyone is uniform is very real.

We move on.

Who is really gaming the system if insurance companies pay multiple thousands of dollars to people who are not even hurt?

I dont think it is the individuals taking the free money who are at fault.

Of course couldn't prescribe for you in any circumstance.

But of all the people for whom I hosted seminars when I was actively in the massage therapy profession back in Louisiana, this guy, Aaron Mattes, had the most impact on the most people that I saw:

http://www.stretchingusa.com/

Don't know where you are, but Aaron's clinic was down in Sarasota, FL the last time we crossed paths when he was doing a seminar out here. I've made the trip down there myself. Looks like he currently has scaled back his seminars to mostly around there. In the past he has done them internationally. Perhaps he finally pulled back from all the travel, as he always was in high demand as a seminar presenter.

MrTop

EOG Master
So, is this ultra sound type therapy? What about reuseable cold packs - can you numb the pain? But, all these temporary solutions - this is going to take surgery - is it not?

This is electrical stimulation. It works when it is on the body, used by physical therapists or you can purchase it. It has reusable pads. The 2nd item is The massage gun KnotHero is a vibrating massage also used by physical therapists. cost $1099 There are cheaper versions but this is one of the best. Reusable cold packs should be used if you just had surgery. Physical therapy has gone to heat now which is used for long term injuries.. I had a cracked vertebrae and hurt my neck too. I learned a lot going 7 years off and on to therapy and bought my own stuff that the therapists used.

Last edited: