Alabama versus the NFL

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Just keep this in mind

Not everyone on Alabama will play in the NFL. So Bama might be able to keep it close for 15 mins but then the NFL team pulls away and easily wins.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Agree with the overall consensus.

Men against boys.

The longer they played, the bigger the separation.

Provided, of course, the pro athletes don't show mercy.

And, oh yes, call for an extra paramedic truck

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Agree with the overall consensus.

Men against boys.

The longer they played, the bigger the separation.

Provided, of course, the pro athletes don't show mercy.

And, oh yes, call for an extra paramedic truck

As much CRAP as the Bills (Or any NFL team) would hear about this - NO WAY they show mercy. They'd wanna kick the CFB team's ass to show all this is stupid and anyone who thought the CFB team could hang with a NFL team is crazy.

railbird

EOG Master
Squares always throw there uninformed 2 cents in on these conversations. Bama vs arizona -12.5. Duke vs cavaliers -3. Florida vs orioles -105

railbird

EOG Master
By Thom Loverro

Green Bay Packers defensive end Willie Davis has a lot of memories he can still call on from his NFL playing days -- the time he stripped Johnny Unitas of the ball to clinch a division crown in 1966; sacking Len Dawson in Super Bowl I a few weeks later.

But there is one play in particular that he can still see in his mind's eye -- a young Pat Richter out of Wisconsin taking a 20-yard pass and then sprinting another 73 yards for a touchdown in the College All-Star Football Classic to give his team a 20-10 lead over the NFL champion Green Bay Packers, on the college squad's way to a 20-17 upset win on August 2, 1963.

"I can still see Pat Richter take that turnout and race all the way down the field," said the 79-year-old Davis. "That created a lot of fallout."

After all, Vince Lombardi's Green Bay Packers were not supposed to lose to a group of talented but untested college football players, exhibition game or not. In the history of the contest -- originally called the Chicago Charities College All-Star Game and started by Chicago Tribune sports editor Arch Ward in 1934 -- the amateurs beat the pros only eight times prior to that day, with most of those victories coming before 1950, when college football was more dominant.

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
Early 60s---Anybody remember NFL champ against college all stars. I was just a kid, but I remember games being competetive. I think the all stars won a game. I think game was always played in Chicago. This was before Super Bowl.

jasson621

EOG Dedicated
Squares always throw there uninformed 2 cents in on these conversations. Bama vs arizona -12.5. Duke vs cavaliers -3. Florida vs orioles -105
Yes ridiculous to think Bama wouldn't score or cross the 50 yard line, these games would be much closer than people think. As for your lines those are equally idiotic but maybe you were trying to prove my point with hyperbole,

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Early 60s---Anybody remember NFL champ against college all stars. I was just a kid, but I remember games being competetive. I think the all stars won a game. I think game was always played in Chicago. This was before Super Bowl.
The last game was around 1977, the 2nd half was cancelled because of weather.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
I do remember the college vs NFL game, and I do remember it being in chicago, and I also remember the 2nd half of the last game being cancelled because of thunderstorms.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
The final game took place in 1976 during a torrential downpour at Soldier Field on July 23.[11] Despite featuring stars such as Chuck Muncie, Mike Pruitt, Lee Roy Selmon, and Jackie Slater, the all-stars were hopelessly outmatched by the Pittsburgh Steelers, winners of Super Bowl X. The star quarterback for the College All-Stars was Steeler draft pick Mike Kruczek out of Boston College.
With 1:22 remaining in the third quarter and the Steelers leading 24–0, high winds and lightning prompted all-stars coach Ara Parseghian to call for a time out. Fans subsequently invaded the field and began sliding on the turf, and with the rain continuing to fall heavily, the officials ordered both teams to their locker rooms.
Despite the efforts of officials, security and Chicago Police, all attempts to clear the field failed, and a group of drunk fans tore down the goalposts at the southern end of the stadium. However, by this time, the torrential rain had left parts of the field under 18 inches of water, meaning it would have been unplayable in any event.
At 11:01pm, NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle and the Tribune announced that the game had been called. The news was greeted with jeers, and numerous brawls broke out on the flooded field before order was finally restored. Joe Washington of Oklahoma was selected MVP of the final College All-Star game.[12]
While Chicago Tribune Charities had every intention of staging a 1977 game, a combination of NFL coaches being increasingly unwilling to let their high draft picks play, rising insurance costs and higher player salaries meant the game was no longer viable. The Tribuneannounced on December 21, 1976, that the game would be discontinued.[13]
In the 42 College All-Star Games, the defending pro champions won 31, the All-Stars won nine, and two were ties, giving the collegians a .238 winning percentage.
One aspect of the College All-Star Game was later revived: the concept of the league champion playing in the first game of the season was adopted in 2004 with the National Football League Kickoff game. Since then, the first game of the regular season is hosted by the defending Super Bowl champion.

railbird

EOG Master
The final game took place in 1976 during a torrential downpour at Soldier Field on July 23.[11] Despite featuring stars such as Chuck Muncie, Mike Pruitt, Lee Roy Selmon, and Jackie Slater, the all-stars were hopelessly outmatched by the Pittsburgh Steelers, winners of Super Bowl X. The star quarterback for the College All-Stars was Steeler draft pick Mike Kruczek out of Boston College.
With 1:22 remaining in the third quarter and the Steelers leading 24–0, high winds and lightning prompted all-stars coach Ara Parseghian to call for a time out. Fans subsequently invaded the field and began sliding on the turf, and with the rain continuing to fall heavily, the officials ordered both teams to their locker rooms.
Despite the efforts of officials, security and Chicago Police, all attempts to clear the field failed, and a group of drunk fans tore down the goalposts at the southern end of the stadium. However, by this time, the torrential rain had left parts of the field under 18 inches of water, meaning it would have been unplayable in any event.
At 11:01pm, NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle and the Tribune announced that the game had been called. The news was greeted with jeers, and numerous brawls broke out on the flooded field before order was finally restored. Joe Washington of Oklahoma was selected MVP of the final College All-Star game.[12]
While Chicago Tribune Charities had every intention of staging a 1977 game, a combination of NFL coaches being increasingly unwilling to let their high draft picks play, rising insurance costs and higher player salaries meant the game was no longer viable. The Tribuneannounced on December 21, 1976, that the game would be discontinued.[13]
In the 42 College All-Star Games, the defending pro champions won 31, the All-Stars won nine, and two were ties, giving the collegians a .238 winning percentage.
One aspect of the College All-Star Game was later revived: the concept of the league champion playing in the first game of the season was adopted in 2004 with the National Football League Kickoff game. Since then, the first game of the regular season is hosted by the defending Super Bowl champion.

see 31-11. too many idiots think college has no chance, they are wrong.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
FWIW:
Could this have been an exception?- As I recollect there was a mid 1960's UCLA team with Lew Alcindor where the Freshman team beat The National Champions.Eventually that Alcindor team had about 7 future Pro's in the line-up. I recall the Chicago Bulls being the worst team in the NBA at the time. My guess is That Alcindor led UCLA team would have been at a minimum extremely competitive against that crappy Bulls team and at a maximum were simply too good for those Bulls with the discipline of Wooden's leadership and several studs and a dominant and basically unstoppable center.

Drewphin0

EOG Addicted
Don't you guys think it is ridiculous to say alabama won't even reach the 50 yard line? That seem just ridiculous on so many levels.

Also aren't a lot of the OL and DL players in size very similar to the nfl?

The NFL team would win but how are you guys even suggesting the nfl team would win 100-0 if they wanted to. How would that even be possible to score that many points? If they keep running the ball, well they can't score that many points. Also when alabama is on offense, you telling me alabama won't even get a few first downs? That seems so ridiculous. They could just throw the ball deep all in the air for an interference call etc. So when the nfl runs the ball everytime, they going to get 5 yard every single time? I mean when they throw the ball, they going to have like forever to throw the ball or something? A lot of the alabama players are similar to size to the nfl, its like like they are undersized or something. I mean the nfl team would win but i think it would be like 52-10 or so. Also you guys mention the alabama team won't even make it to halftime because of injuries? Injuries from what? Getting hit hard when tackled etc? Also people keep mentioning how an nfl team has all nfl teams but alabama only has x amount of players that would be in the nfl. Well the thing is they would be playing as a team as they would now. So what would the stat lines look for yardage and sacks etc?

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Exhibition game.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
I think Bama would be more than competitive with a bad NFL team's 2nd and 3rd stringers. Because Bama would actually have some NFL stars on it, and more than a few NFL starters on it, the backup team wouldn't. But an NFL team game planning and going all out against Bama? Blowout city.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
As Peyton Manning once said, "In college football's passing game, every receiver is open. In the NFL, no one is open."

kane

EOG master
As Peyton Manning once said, "In college football's passing game, every receiver is open. In the NFL, no one is open."

Also, in college Tua has all day to allow his receivers to get open, Bama's line trying to stop an NFL pass rush means Tua would have a fraction of the time he currently enjoys. The physicality of the NFL players would overwhelm the college kids by completely dominating the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, like I said before, men against boys

Bigrunner

EOG Master
I'm confidently taking Alabama plus the 5 or 6 touchdowns. They have an NFL ready QB. NFL ready defense. Imo

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I'm confidently taking Alabama plus the 5 or 6 touchdowns. They have an NFL ready QB. NFL ready defense. Imo

OH NO THEY DO NOT! Tua would get eaten alive by a NFL Defense. He would be late with his passes and when he tried to run he'd get killed. I doubt he'd make halftime and the other QBs would fare ever worse

kane

EOG master

Their NFL ready defense is filled with 18 and 19 year old kids who would get eaten alive by grown men, their defense would see offensive schemes they've never seen in college, and for as great as he's been, Tua couldn't play against an NFL defense, he would see things he's never seen in college, blitz packages, teams disguising their coverages, trying to confuse him, etc.

Bigrunner

EOG Master
Their NFL ready defense is filled with 18 and 19 year old kids who would get eaten alive by grown men, their defense would see offensive schemes they've never seen in college, and for as great as he's been, Tua couldn't play against an NFL defense, he would see things he's never seen in college, blitz packages, teams disguising their coverages, trying to confuse him, etc.

Maybe? The 18-19 year olds on Alabama defense aren't your typical kids. They're bigger, stronger and faster than the best college defenses. They're the cream of the crop.

Tua has always proven his credits wrong. He's had a great college career. Has great pedigree, comes out of the same Hawaiian H.S. as Mariota. I also love the heart and strength of Hawaiian athletes. I'm not going to underestimate this Hawaiian.

kane

EOG master
Maybe? The 18-19 year olds on Alabama defense aren't your typical kids. They're bigger, stronger and faster than the best college defenses. They're the cream of the crop.

Tua has always proven his credits wrong. He's had a great college career. Has great pedigree, comes out of the same Hawaiian H.S. as Mariota. I also love the heart and strength of Hawaiian athletes. I'm not going to underestimate this Hawaiian.

I assume you mean proven his critics wrong, but what critics, the kid was the number one rated QB coming out of high school, who has ever criticized or doubted him? Yes he's been great in college, yes he has a strong arm and I'm sure plays with a lot of heart. But, he's also a kid that would be going against men, and he would have other kids as his teammates, do you think a college offensive line would be able to give him the time he needs against an NFL defense? Do you think he'll be able to read an NFL defense when he's taking the snap? Whenever you watch an NFL game, the QB goes through all kinds of reads at the line, changing plays based on the defense he sees, an NFL defense would confuse the hell out of Tua, he wouldn't have any idea where the blitz was coming from, or what type of coverage they would be in, he would see things he's never seen before, there's no way he could deal with all that. A few weeks ago the Bills held NE to one offensive TD, Bama would be fortunate to reach the end zone once against Buffalo. I think you're really underestimating the "boys vs men" aspect, I don't know how 18-19 year old kids could physically hold their own playing against men, not to mention all the scheming an NFL team does compared to the vanilla types of stuff a college team sees.

Bigrunner

EOG Master
That's why they'd be 35, 40 point dogs. I'm taking the points. Alabama defense is great. Hope N.E. has a good backup in case Brady gets knocked out.

railbird

EOG Master
here is the thing with pro sports, they aren't as good as people think. in any sport. and now the talent is at an all time low. I see it in all sports.

kane

EOG master
I hope we can put the thought that Alabama or any other college team could even compete with an NFL team to rest now

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I think Clemson's Trevor Lawrence would have given the Ravens a better chance against the Chargers than Lamar Jackson.