American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

ballwonder

EOG Master
Re: American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

I am torn between Danny and Kris. But in reality I think most of the "popular" vote want to see a Adam and Danny finale. Which would leave that down to Kris and Allison. I just think Allison sounded better tonight this is a tough one this week.

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

...and then there were four. Let's hear it for Rock Week! Yeah! Great time for some....duets? Oh well, at least they have a great role model mentor. Wait, Slash? Is this Guitar Hero week? Um, anyone expecting Adam to go for a high note tonight? This will certainly be entertaining....Well, here we go:

1. Adam Lambert (1) ? ?Who Lotta Love? by an all-time rock legend band, Led Zeppelin. Great rendition in an exaggerated, slightly theater-esque Robert Plant style, but that was outstanding ? vocally ? but he doesn't quite fit the ?rock? genre. Sorry, he doesn't have the hard edge to him (no pun intended) but he sounded very, very strong. Just not quite what people would necessarily buy. One moment when Adam wants to ?give me every inch of my love?, but other than the double entendre with the androgenous one, it was indeed hard to top ? which is important to state from Simon considering he had to lead off.
  2. Duet 2 ? Allison Iraheta and Adam Lambert (6) ? ?Slow Ride? by Steppenwolf. Great way to close the show, and even give Allison a nice push to last another week. Great mixture of voices and a great song choice. Arguably the best performance of the night.
  3. Kris Allen (4) ? ?Come Together? by the Beatles. At first I wasn't sure about this, as the Beatles can be a tough call to bring current and also are immediate comparison points ? but once again he pulled off a new spin on an old song. He made that song current (and stayed with a tough set of lyrics ? good luck dissecting that song) and I thought it was a pretty good rendition. Kara was wrong here. I'd be willing to wager that most 20-somethings and under don't know that song much and liked what they heard.
  4. Duet 1 - Kris Allen and Danny Gokey (3) ? ?Renegade? by Styx as a duet. Good start, but once it kicked into higher gear both sounded off / lost. Their higher gears don't mesh (dare I say they clash?) and it sounded clunky. The chorus / harmony together sounded much better at the end, but the ying-yang middle part was so-so at best.
  5. Allison Iraheta (2) ? ?Cry Baby? is her first choice from Janet Joplin. Right singer, wrong song choice. While it was a hit per se, it isn't nearly as well known as other Joplin tunes. She performed it well, but he song doesn't showcase what she can do very well and this could put her in some danger ? especially with just four contestants left.
  6. Danny Gokey (5) ? ?Dream On? from Aerosmith. Interesting choice, to say the least. Slash actually nailed it, as it all depends on that scream towards the end. Well, while I was waiting for it, there was some odd vocal points in the middle where he did some rock scat type singing ? or something like that. Then the scream. Sorry, that was a swing and a miss. Sometimes you need to know what is in your wheelhouse and what isn't. Dude, know your role, and that isn't Steven Tyler. Not even close. Bad choice and it could have him slipping out of the lock for the Finals.
Bottom 3: Kris, Danny and Allison. Shocking, I know. Basically anyone but Adam. Odds are they do a bottom two ? but Danny may be one of those two.

Who's leaving (or at least should be): Danny. But that won't happen......

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_10296546-->

Felicia Barton is twittering her thoughts.

She says "Danny, whoa". (not in a good way)

Felicia is in the studio now. Good for her.

green - felicia was not great and will have no successful career in music fyi. very average singer who can hold a note. dime a dozen.

Again I think Allison by far had the best performance. Not only does she have originality with her vocals, but it doesn't seem she is faking the act (Kris, Gokey). Thought the Gay Lambert sucked again. I don't get how he gets on stage, screams like a brawd, dresses uncomfortably gay, prances around like twat, and everybody says he good he is. Give me a break. Allison should win this show.

Kris wasn't great tonight, and while I like Gokey's vocals his performance tonight just seemed forced. Nothing natural about that at all.

Best to worst last night

Allison
Gay Lambert
Kris
Gokey

Bottom 2

Gokey
Kris

Should be bottom 2

Kris
Lambert

I still think this is the best final 4 in all 8 seasons of Idol

roach23

Banned

Again I think Allison by far had the best performance. Not only does she have originality with her vocals, but it doesn't seem she is faking the act (Kris, Gokey). Thought the Gay Lambert sucked again. I don't get how he gets on stage, screams like a brawd, dresses uncomfortably gay, prances around like twat, and everybody says he good he is. Give me a break. Allison should win this show.

Kris wasn't great tonight, and while I like Gokey's vocals his performance tonight just seemed forced. Nothing natural about that at all.

Best to worst last night

Allison
Gay Lambert
Kris
Gokey

Bottom 2

Gokey
Kris

Should be bottom 2

Kris
Lambert

I still think this is the best final 4 in all 8 seasons of Idol

I like Allison and hope she wins, but she was not that good last night. Nowhere close to as bad as Gokey. But not good either.

Kara the fucking **** says "You should have sang some early Aerosmith like 'Cryin' or 'Crazy'".

WTF, not only is she a stupid dumb whore but she has zero musical knowledge as well. Go write another Katharine McPhee song about toes you stupid bitch.

Relatively speaking, she was probably 7 or 8 when these songs were on the radio. A much better song choice would have been Nobody's Fault or Seasons of Whither. But then, me, bad co, and four other people would have enjoyed it

PO69

EOG Master

Paula Abdul sings her new single tonight live! I wish that the judges would critique her song

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

The lines over at Matchbook have moved a good amount, so I expect Allison is safe.

Wynn

EOG Enthusiast

I love Allison.
I like Allison too, but she's only 17 and has a high MPE factor (marginal propensity to explode). In a few years, she's going to make Kelly Clarkson look anorexic.

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

No Doubt the concert version doesn't translate well to TV or Idol.....

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

Announcing Kris first as safe????

This has Danny (or ADAM???) going home written all over it.

I'm calling for the shocker.

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

Dammit, didn't want her out.... Danny should have gone.

There goes my shot in the contest.

PO69

EOG Master

Paula was lip synching that song so badly!!

Did you notice how the camera angle was always bad and the lighting was poor and they NEVER went in for a closeup

PO69

EOG Master

Can you imagine the GROUP song next week??

It will be like the Backstreet Boys

roach23

Banned

Allison got robbed. Gokey should've been a goner.

Paula was definitely lip syncing, I agree PO.

No Doubt was horrible.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Gwen stunk

Paula is a joke, most obvious lip sync in history

Allison got robbed.

Time to pack it up and wait till next year, who cares now who wins, no more allison, the winner doesn't really matter if she's not in the final 2.

I wonder if they will pay my male wins AI if adam eyeliner wins?

:LMAO

well i'm done watching this season. No way Allison should have gone home. She is the only female left, how the hell she not advance, especially when she had the best performance. This is so fixed it's a disgrace. They just know she couldn't handle all the interviews with the " ahhhh ya, i don't knowww" answers.

Speaking about disgrace, what the fuck was Paula Abdoul doing? I mean why would they even consider putting that on television. You are airing a fuckin singing competition so what do you do......you have one of the judges lip sync and not even try to hide it. She sounded like a computer. Embarrassing hour of television right there. I feel less intelligent for watching it.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

well i'm done watching this season. No way Allison should have gone home. She is the only female left, how the hell she not advance, especially when she had the best performance. This is so fixed it's a disgrace. They just know she couldn't handle all the interviews with the " ahhhh ya, i don't knowww" answers.

Speaking about disgrace, what the fuck was Paula Abdoul doing? I mean why would they even consider putting that on television. You are airing a fuckin singing competition so what do you do......you have one of the judges lip sync and not even try to hide it. She sounded like a computer. Embarrassing hour of television right there. I feel less intelligent for watching it.

Mz Abdul....what you just did is one of the most..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

Wynn

EOG Enthusiast

It's extremely difficult to watch this show now and still call yourself a heterosexual.

Top 3 Judges Picks, courtesy MJ's Big Blog (probably accurate since they usually announce these at the homecoming things):

Via MJ's Big Blog.
Danny Gokey - "Dance Little Sister" by Terence Trent D'Arby (VFTW Victory!)
Kris Allen - "Apologize" by Timbaland and One Republic
Adam Lambert - "One" by U2.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I love Allison, i don't care what the judges or the 'public' says, she's the winner!

LOL, Kris just pulled a David Cook on the American sheep.

Go see post #1473 in this thread. Doberman Idol>American Idol.

Haha, ****face Kara and Gokey can hit the bricks kid.

Didn't see that one coming did you. Derek Cate folks, from the Doberman, and you thought no one read this thread. I guess someone did.

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Threeeeeee.....it's a magic number. Oh yes it is. It's the semi-finals, and welcome to La Cage Aux Folles.... I mean, Episode 300. Ironic that the episode number is reminiscent of a male-dominated bloody male movie, isn't it? The “Three Amigos” lead off this group, which won't be mistaken for the Three Tenors anytime soon. Three singers, two songs each – so here we go:

1. Kris Allen (5) – Kris' Choice: “Heartless” by Kanye West. Wow, that's risky. Didn't Kanye perform this himself during this season? Well, odds are it will be better – because Kayne didn't do so great with his version. Hmm, Kris breaks out the guitar (two songs, two instruments? Talent right there....) Kris nails his second song and gets the entire crowd engaged – and odds are the voters as well. A current song with a great twist that should cross many genres. Very, very interesting. That was hot, dawg. That could put him in the finals.
  2. Danny Gokey (4) – Danny's choice was “You Are So Beautiful” by Joe Cocker. A song built for him – both in style and in range. He took it nice and slow, pumping it up in the middle to accentuate his voice in the middle and belted out a strong “pimp note”. Good arrangement and interpretation of the song. Far better than his first song of the night, and the judges raved as much as they could to try and push him over the edge and on to next week. Will it be enough?
  3. Adam Lambert (6) – Adam’s choice: “Cryin'” by Aerosmith. Adam sticks pretty close to the original and does a good job with a vocally challenging Steven Tyler vocal. A few subtle changes (and I didn't like the background singers stepping all over him early), but a very solid rendition and the judges do what they are expected to do – “See you next week”. Are they right? Simon does the responsible thing and reminds everyone to vote...
  4. Kris Allen (2) – Randy and Kara’s Judges Choice: “Apologize” by OneRepublic. Playing the piano was a nice touch, and the wrinkles he put into the rendition were pretty solid. The “too late” high part was a reach both times, but other than that you could see the emotion and touch he put into the song. Very strong performance even though he had a few weak spots. Kara – swinging it out of the park.....um, what? Great moment when Simon put Kara on the spot for banging on Kris about playing the song close to the vest.
  5. Adam Lambert (3) – Simon’s Judges choice: “One” by U2. Two-thirds good – the beginning and the end. Again, tweaking the song – no, severely altering the song to not make it their own but this is “indulgent” and self-serving to a tee. “Gee, how can I get to my upper high range and belt out a note?” is the question – every. Single. Time. I wasn't that impressed. Randy – one of the hottest three left in the competition? Great judging there, Randy. Kara over the top with the fawning over it, but it wasn't a great interpretation.
  6. Danny Gokey (1) – “Dance Little Sister” by Terence Trent D'Arby was chosen by Paula Abdul. Interesting choice. “Shout it out” was an early lyric, and it may as well have been advice for Goat boy. Once the shouting was done, we got some scatting (yes, scatting) from the horn-rimmed one. Frankly it wasn't a very challenging song vocally so he tried to put his persona out there with his emphasis and his – ahem – dance movies. Leading off the show with a “meh” performance can only be one thing – forgettable.

Everyone did a good job at least once tonight, and scoring this week based on 6 points for first down to 1 for sixth, I have it Kris 9, Adam 6 and Gokey 6. Wow. Could the Danny voters break out and keep him alive? Will Kris ride his wave to the finals? Will both contestants trump Adam's popularity and push the favorite out? I agree with Seacrest that there's no telling what will happen here.

Bottom 3: Seriously?

Your finalists were supposed to be Adam and Danny. A shock would be to have Kris make it, and a bigger shock would be Adam booted. As much as that would be for entertainment purposes, you have to expect Kris to go home this week – but I struggle with that.

My picks for the final – Kris and Adam. Danny has disappointed too much of late and Allison's votes won't go to him.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

<META content="OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Win32)" name=GENERATOR><STYLE type=text/css> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </STYLE> Threeeeeee.....it's a magic number. Oh yes it is. It's the semi-finals, and welcome to La Cage Aux Folles.... I mean, Episode 300. Ironic that the episode number is reminiscent of a male-dominated bloody male movie, isn't it? The ?Three Amigos? lead off this group, which won't be mistaken for the Three Tenors anytime soon. Three singers, two songs each ? so here we go:

1. Kris Allen (5) ? Kris' Choice: ?Heartless? by Kanye West. Wow, that's risky. Didn't Kanye perform this himself during this season? Well, odds are it will be better ? because Kayne didn't do so great with his version. Hmm, Kris breaks out the guitar (two songs, two instruments? Talent right there....) Kris nails his second song and gets the entire crowd engaged ? and odds are the voters as well. A current song with a great twist that should cross many genres. Very, very interesting. That was hot, dawg. That could put him in the finals.
  2. Danny Gokey (4) ? Danny's choice was ?You Are So Beautiful? by Joe Cocker. A song built for him ? both in style and in range. He took it nice and slow, pumping it up in the middle to accentuate his voice in the middle and belted out a strong ?pimp note?. Good arrangement and interpretation of the song. Far better than his first song of the night, and the judges raved as much as they could to try and push him over the edge and on to next week. Will it be enough?
  3. Adam Lambert (6) ? Adam?s choice: ?Cryin'? by Aerosmith. Adam sticks pretty close to the original and does a good job with a vocally challenging Steven Tyler vocal. A few subtle changes (and I didn't like the background singers stepping all over him early), but a very solid rendition and the judges do what they are expected to do ? ?See you next week?. Are they right? Simon does the responsible thing and reminds everyone to vote...
  4. Kris Allen (2) ? Randy and Kara?s Judges Choice: ?Apologize? by OneRepublic. Playing the piano was a nice touch, and the wrinkles he put into the rendition were pretty solid. The ?too late? high part was a reach both times, but other than that you could see the emotion and touch he put into the song. Very strong performance even though he had a few weak spots. Kara ? swinging it out of the park.....um, what? Great moment when Simon put Kara on the spot for banging on Kris about playing the song close to the vest.
  5. Adam Lambert (3) ? Simon?s Judges choice: ?One? by U2. Two-thirds good ? the beginning and the end. Again, tweaking the song ? no, severely altering the song to not make it their own but this is ?indulgent? and self-serving to a tee. ?Gee, how can I get to my upper high range and belt out a note?? is the question ? every. Single. Time. I wasn't that impressed. Randy ? one of the hottest three left in the competition? Great judging there, Randy. Kara over the top with the fawning over it, but it wasn't a great interpretation.
  6. Danny Gokey (1) ? ?Dance Little Sister? by Terence Trent D'Arby was chosen by Paula Abdul. Interesting choice. ?Shout it out? was an early lyric, and it may as well have been advice for Goat boy. Once the shouting was done, we got some scatting (yes, scatting) from the horn-rimmed one. Frankly it wasn't a very challenging song vocally so he tried to put his persona out there with his emphasis and his ? ahem ? dance movies. Leading off the show with a ?meh? performance can only be one thing ? forgettable.

Everyone did a good job at least once tonight, and scoring this week based on 6 points for first down to 1 for sixth, I have it Kris 9, Adam 6 and Gokey 6. Wow. Could the Danny voters break out and keep him alive? Will Kris ride his wave to the finals? Will both contestants trump Adam's popularity and push the favorite out? I agree with Seacrest that there's no telling what will happen here.

Bottom 3: Seriously?

Your finalists were supposed to be Adam and Danny. A shock would be to have Kris make it, and a bigger shock would be Adam booted. As much as that would be for entertainment purposes, you have to expect Kris to go home this week ? but I struggle with that.

My picks for the final ? Kris and Adam. Danny has disappointed too much of late and Allison's votes won't go to him.

Great analysis, i agree with everything you say word for word. Awesome!