American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

Re: American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

cmon guys. allison has no chance at all.

that's why i used the words slim, and outside. i don't think you can say no chance. she doesn't have the baggage of the other 2 stars. you never know if the producers want to take the chance of having a controversial idol. she is young, talented, and can control her more then the others

PO69

EOG Master

The producers almost let the gay Daivd Archuleta win last season, so we do have precedent.

Clay Aiken was querer than a 3 dollar bill, but then again both of those guys finished in second.

But how can NOT let Adam win???? I mean he has UNBELIEVABLE range. He is quick star potential as a lead singer of a major rock band

i don't know something with that screech scream thing he does really turns me off. i don't even see what kind of music he will do? he seems to do better with the slow ballards, but who the hell wants to buy an album of that shit?

PO69

EOG Master

Lambert could be the lead singer of a band like Radiohead or Coldplay TODAY!

I wouldnt mind seeing him sing FAKE PLASTIC TREES by Radiohead as a matter of fact. It starts off real slow and then build to a huge crescendo. Adam would ACE that song

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Susan Boyle is what American Idol should be about, which is finding untapped talent. I have said for years they do not need age limits on Idol, then maybe they wont get these casts of misfits, plants and 16 year olds.

Idol has turned into a very bad trashy reality show which I cannot even stomach watching anymore this year. From Hollywood week ( Focusing there on crying, "drama", fights, ect.) instead of singing, they have stooped low trying to get ratings. Now they cant even come close to figuring out how to space it or get the four judges comment for everyone.

It is not just recent where they cannot space, its always. I could have read a book in the time after Nathaniel Marshall sang where judges and he went back and fourth. Jorge Nunez got forever too and started crying happy tears ( not faked) and got so happy he started talking in spanish, which would have appealed to a lot of voters. Kendall Beard, who has a lot of personality and would have been helped a lot if she had been able to talk, got about 3 seconds due to time getting short. According to dialidol, Jorge narrowly beat out Kendall. Had Kendall been given equal time, I think she would have made the top 12 instead of Jorge. They dont do it on purpose, it isnt like they thought they really had something with Jorge, they just suck at this.

It is a problem too every year with people like Gokey are shown relentlessly before the top 36 and others like Ricky Braddy are not seen at all.

The people responsible for producing this should be fired for gross incompetence.

Good call, i agree with this.

Unfortunately, ratings drive everything. Pro sports is also a big setup, they just do whatever they can to get the best ratings and make the most money. Fair and square competition means nothing these days, everything is fluff and circumstance. Its all a bunch of bullshit. The only way to see fair and square stuff is to go find it on the street corners, you ain't going to find anything that's 'pure' on national television.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Lambert could be the lead singer of a band like Radiohead or Coldplay TODAY!

I wouldnt mind seeing him sing FAKE PLASTIC TREES by Radiohead as a matter of fact. It starts off real slow and then build to a huge crescendo. Adam would ACE that song

I agree, he's a real talent no doubt. He might be one of the most talented performers in the history of Idol.

Singing and sexuality aside, Adam has a monstrous advantage over the other competitors. He is a seasoned performer on the stage thus he does not have to battle the stage fright of others who have not been put in this position.

He certainly has an impressive background if you look at his resume. This is someone who was in the touring show of "Wicked", which despite my lack of Broadway knowledge even I know, is one of the bigger shows out there today. He's been in many others big name productions as well and likely at some point will be back on Broadway (once his contract ends) as many other Idol contestants have done (Fantasia, Diana DeGarmo, Ruben Studdard, etc.).

Considering that this show ends up being more about performance than it does vocals, it should not come as a surprise that he is miles ahead of the competition. Couple that with a very weak supporting cast (intentional use of the word cast not contestants), some subtle pimpage, and the stupidity of the American public, it is easy to see why he is the current frontrunner.

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

Singing and sexuality aside, Adam has a monstrous advantage over the other competitors. He is a seasoned performer on the stage thus he does not have to battle the stage fright of others who have not been put in this position.

He certainly has an impressive background if you look at his resume. This is someone who was in the touring show of "Wicked", which despite my lack of Broadway knowledge even I know, is one of the bigger shows out there today. He's been in many others big name productions as well and likely at some point will be back on Broadway (once his contract ends) as many other Idol contestants have done (Fantasia, Diana DeGarmo, Ruben Studdard, etc.).

Considering that this show ends up being more about performance than it does vocals, it should not come as a surprise that he is miles ahead of the competition. Couple that with a very weak supporting cast (intentional use of the word cast not contestants), some subtle pimpage, and the stupidity of the American public, it is easy to see why he is the current frontrunner.

Totally agree.

Give Allison the same amount of stage experience and she'd be way closer to a threat to win it all.

I am expecting this finish:

1. Adam
2. Gokey
3. Allison
4. Kris
5. Anoop
6 and 7. Lil, Matt

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

Time for another Doberman Idol contender. Finalist #12 is from the land down under. Nothing wrong with a little Pearl Jam either. Here's Hayley Legg:

Not saying that she is bad, GD, but she's not exactly anything special.

Then again, Better Man is one of the easier songs to sing - and I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan (at least pre-2006).

I still think Lil will end up 4th or 5th. For no other reason than demographics. Still a cluttered bunch of white male singers so one of them should be gone tomorrow. Anoop can't have much legs left in his run and if they throw him to the wolves will get buried. While Allison is arguably the best raw talent she still has failed to develop much of a fan base for whatever reason. IOW, anyone but Adam or Danny could be gone.

Jeff,
I agree Hayley isn't that great but I had to throw in some fodder for the real contenders on Doberman Idol just like the show. Plus we need that Australian demographic as well. Out of the 32 I have picked, it is a significantly stronger lot than what Idol has. I even threw in a few Casey Carlson/Stevie Wright cuties that are there for looks and not singing.

Disco night upcoming.

Rumored song spoilers, no confirmation so take with a grain of salt:

Someone SAYS they went to the rehearsal. Never heard of this person before so who knows if these are correct?.

We already know that Anoop is singing Dim all the lights, so this could be true?

Matt-?Can?t Get Enough of Your Love?

Allison-?Knock on Wood?

Anoop-?Dim All the Lights?

Adam-?Funkytown?

Lil-?Last Dance?

Danny-?Celebration?

Kris-?Saturday Night?

credit to JoesPlace

Oh well, I'll just type the whole thing:

American Idol- Season 8- Top 7 #2- April 21, 2009

A visit to the dentist, Monday morning, American Idol disco night. Things that are inevitable but you dread anyway. Ding!

Welcome to the American Idol review $100,000 pyramid edition. We'll give you the clues, you just have to guess the mediocrity. So grab the Pabst Blue Ribbon, the cheez-its, and the remote (things I have within an arm's length) and let's play along at home. This is Idol review, pyramid-style.

Broadway show tunes, a Cher concert crowd, your host Ryan Seacrest. Things that are suspiciously gay. Ding! Bonus points round: Enron stock, a liberal arts degree, your Idol judges. Things that are completely worthless. Ding, ding, ding!

In-laws at the holidays, Manny Ramirez in Boston, Lil Rounds and her humongous ass. Think about it. Things that have overstayed their welcome. Ding, ding, ding! Lil is singing the Oprah theme song while wearing a scary looking form-fitting black unitard. Just as she has the past several weeks, she delivers yet another underwhelming diva performance. Um, you think they are burying her by putting her first? Captain Obvious says yes. Even the leader of the Idol Black Panthers, Randy Jackson, helps put the nails in her coffin.

Fun house mirrors, kids on the playground, Kris Allen singing. Things that make funny faces. Ding, ding, ding! Kris going back to his Castro/Mayer-esque roots for a unique Donna Summer arrangement. This is the kind of quirkiness that made him a contender a few weeks back. While not perfect, it was close enough to put him in the "wow factor" zone and perhaps even shake up the competition a little. Doberman rarely does it these days, but gotta give props on that one.

Doritos Nacho Flavor, the dairy aisle at the grocery store, Danny Gokey. Things that are way too cheesy. Ding, ding, ding! Bobby Bland or whatever his name is goes back to designer glasses #43 for a chmaltzy version of "September". It falls somewhere between Huey Lewis the latter years and the one-man band at the Westward Ho lunge. Seriously, this guy comes across as the biggest poser in the entertainment industry. That was 55.8 times worse than Kris. Yet he'll get great comments and lots of votes, go figure America.

Review, part two:

A box of rocks on an Oklahoma highway, Vince Young taking the wunderlic, Allison Iraheta. Things that you'll never see at a Mensa meeting. Ding, ding, ding. Before the whiners chime in, Allison is one of only two semi-talented contestants left, so despite her slim chances of getting into Harvard, I'm rooting for her. Allison is the anti-Gokey. She's unique, authentic, and sings with feeling. you have to admire her "I don't give a shit what you think" fashion choices and realize that is what sets her apart in a sea of blandness. The big glory note at the end should be enough to pass go for little miss sparky.

Any actor from "Friends", the Harry Potter books, Adam Lambert. Things that are perpetually overhyped for no apparent reason. Ding. Glabert shold be going falshitto if he follows his falshitto/scream/falshitto/scream pattern. He's sporting the gay cousin who is uncomfortable in a suit at your sister's wedding look again. Adam has probably stolen someone's Youtube cover again this week but I am too lazy to look it up. It's the same painful Broadway falshitto that makes the 13-year old girls cream in their panties yet again. By all accounts we've found our Broadway Idol. But pop music and mass marketability? Still don't get it.

The Saint Joseph mascot flapping his arms, a train wreck, Matt Giraud's mole. Things you want to look away from but can't. Correct! Third Eye Matt is one thin ice after last week's save and needs to come up big this week. Kudos for the clever "Stayin' Alive" pick pun. Unfortunately for Mole-io, he gives an even cheesier performance than Danny sans the dead wife or designer glasses. In golf terms, Matt is 1 down with 1 to play. Lucky for him that one to go could be Anoop Van de Velde.

roach23

Banned

Kris was the best today.

Allison and the fag were decent.

Gokey was decent.

The rest sucked. Lil probalby the worst. then Anoop. then matt.

Review, part three (last):

Lifetime movie marathons, workplace safety workshops, Anoop Desai. Things that bore me to tears. Ding, ding ding! For some reason Ano-Dog gets the pimp spot tonight. Clearly they are not awarding showmanship or vocal ability. He's back to boring, dreary ballad Anoop. Probably he is a great guy to have a beer way (and in a way I am right now, many beers in fact), but he's clearly out of his league here. It was a rather pedestrian performance if I'm being generous.

And now for the final round:

Finishing the rest of the twelve pack, posting my Idol review, texting strippers. Things the Doberman will be doing in the next half-hour.

Lil Rounds, Matt Giraud, Anoop Desai. Idol contestants who deserve to be in the bottom three tomorrow.

Ding, ding, ding!

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

....and then there were seven. Again. Didn't we do this already?? The question still remains ? will it be the "Seventh Heaven" or "The Seventh Sign"? It's all about tDisco tonight ? you heard me. Everyone will be waiting to see the song choices here, now won't we? I'm wagering that Donna Summer and/or the Bee Gees are represented well, but who knows with this group.....

Here we go.....

1. Kris Allen (2) ? "She Works Hard For The Money" from Donna (gasp) Summer. Damn, that was good! Kris takes a disco song with some quality lyrics and turns it into a rockabilly / MTV Unplugged-ish "moment". Took it and made it current and "his own". Clearly could be a hit single out of the gate with this if he released it. 100% safe and a strong Top 4 contender, if not higher if he keeps doing that.
  2. Allison Iraheta (4) ? "Hot Stuff". Excellent choice and arrangement. The song title says it all about this performance. Great entry, great vocal, strong singing. The ending was a bit tricky, but overall that was a very good and memorable rendition. There should be no reason at all that she isn't a Top 4 singer here and the "Brilliant Performance" comment from Simon should help her get some extra votes. She absolutely was an underdog in this genre but she pulled it off and then some.
  3. Adam Lambert (5) ? "If I Can't Have You" from the Bee Gees / Saturday Night Fever. A good, but not great arrangement. He tried to pull off a moment, but that middle part was force to get him into his upper range / "wheelhouse" and hit that big high note. Every week ? Every. Single. Week. I get the judges fawning all over him, as expected. It wasn't the most memorable performance, Kara. Did Paula just say "visceral"???? Good "CYA" move to say who "helped him" with the arrangement ? which means that a few YouTubes will surface. Oh yeah, of course he's safe.
  4. Danny Gokey (3) ? "September" from Earth, Wind and Fire. Did anyone else see "George Michael" a little bit on stage tonight? That performance (subpar, again, Danny....better step it up soon) was somewhere between Star Search and Jerry Lewis Telethon. I wasn't sure how he'd end it, and apparently neither was he. Good energy but I thought it was less than a top performance. I disagreed with the judges about how good it was ? except Simon. I agreed about the performance, as it is still missing that something special quality. As for the voice, yes he was on pitch, but it was a bit shouty and I'm not a big fan of his vocals.
  5. Anoop Desai (7) ? "Dim All The Lights". The song fit his voice, but not the style of the song or the night's theme. Smooth voice but that was not very memorable. Karaoke come right to mind while watching it, and was glad to see it end. Even the coveted "Pimp Spot" won't be enough to keep him out of the Bottom 3. He's in danger yet again, but I do agree with Randy that this is a strong group overall. He's in the Bottom 3 by process of elimination as someone has to join the two bottom feeders for this week.
  6. Matt Giraud (6) ? "Staying Alive". I doubt it, Matt. You sounded like Eminem was dropped on his head and woke up a disco singer. Justin Timberfake in da house, y'all. That was brutal. The judges may have saved, but the voters will know the score on the rebound. See ya in the piano bars and at a county fair near you in 2011.
  7. Lil Rounds (1) ? "I'm Every Woman" from Chaka Khan. Well, if every woman has extensions and sounds pitchy, then I agree. There's just this tone in her voice that is a bit grating. Relying on the backup singers a bit much, too. Starting off the show is a straight way to send your not-so-Little self home. Ah, but the "looks great" and "you were sick" pity from the judges.... . See ya, Lil.
Simon was dead on all night. Why do we need the rest of them? Oh wait, comic relief, that's right.

Bottom 3: Adam and Danny are safe. Kris crushed it so he's fine. Allison did very well, so that leaves Lil, Matt and Anoop.

Who's leaving (or at least should be): Lil and Matt ? for good this time.

Spot on Jeff. Rare is it I agree with just about everything you say but your analysis was nails. Props to you for it. :thumbsup

Jeff,
I'm good for about two or three punchlines a week now. That is about all though. My heart certainly is not in it anymore I'm afraid and I wish I could enjoy it from innocent childlike eyes like others do (not meaning you but the sheep). Every cowboy should know when to ride off into the sunset and I'm only to happy to pass the reins.:cheers

Earliest I've ever entered my pool picks. I'm locked in and I'm sure the other Idol "sharps" will be up for a few hours looking at the data. Could be off-base though.

wiskers

EOG Dedicated

i locked in right after show as i don't even know what data is out there to look at but i think this week its between the matt lill anoop 3some too

Wiskers.
It certainly SHOULD be, based on performance as well as complete performance history. Whether it is or not, we will see tomorrow. I agree.

i could look at Big Rounds all night....oh i mean Lil Rounds....good lord those pants.

Once again best performance Allison. at least the one i enjoyed the most.

BCTTWR

EOG Dedicated

Lil Rounds may be safe based on her wardrobe tonight. According to Dial Idol she is second behind Adam.

ballwonder

EOG Master

Dont forget the cut off time for the contest is just like last week and remember this week you vote off two people.

<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 2105801" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>THE SHRINK</TD><TD class=alt1>Re: American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>If ADAM doesn't win this EASILY, I will be shocked... </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Adam is currently the chalk, between -200 and -250. Not exactly running away with the straw internet votes though. Stranger things have happened. Hell, I even drove by the Ted Constant Center the other night. That is truly strange.

Off topic, but we went to Naro for an artsy foreign language film. Last I knew you were in G.B. section of Cheese-a-peak. You want to grab lunch or something message me. I don't give a shit. Let's hit up a Tides game when Wieters gets healthy or something. Last I saw you out in Vegas, you were tearing shit up in the Leroy's thing.

Just saw the outside but Constant Center looked nice. They even got a little shop thing going on the other side sorta like my alma mater. I assume you will be hitting Foreman Field come fall. Not good news from Hampton with Martinez this week. Huge upgrade from the old days at Scope, I can tell you that. Buds of mind are hitting the Kings of Leon concert at the TCC this week or next.

Tell Montana I want him to take me out fishing on the Bay, lol.

Back to Idol topic.