American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

Going to try and mix things up a little this year. Instead of posting the current odds for all 180 some semi-finalists (actually it's more like 150 and field), I am going to wait a while on the odds.

Instead, the focus will be on highlighting some of the contenders and getting the discussion going as we follow their journey through the contest.

As usual, please try and place spoiler posts before posts if they contain time-sensitive information that may not be public knowledge to others.

The information in this thread is for entertainment purposes only.

Re: American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

The more things change the more they stay the same

Another year of Idol is upon us and producers and executives have promised to shake things up to keep their breadwinner fresh. Gone is head czar Nigel Lythgoe and in in new judge Kara DioGuardi. In addition, the competition format will revert back to the original season of 36 finalists and a wild card round. Despite all these changes rumors abound that planted retreads from other reality shows abound in the finalist list. One other thing we will still be able to count on like death and taxes is that Paula Abdul will still be bat-shit crazy and Randy Jackson will abuse the word ?dawg? worse than the Bad Newz Kennels.

AI is once again facing the prospect of backlash from its viewers by recycling other show?s trash. Those 17 people that have watched Nashville Star will no doubt be familiar with the names Brent Keith Smith, Kristen McNamara (and her ubiquitous breasts), and Tasha Valentine. Hoping to echo the success of Syesha Mercado, from the disaster singing show ?The One? (which just happened to be produced by Kara DioGuardi, coinkydink?) will be Jackie Mendez. Playing the part of Carly Smithson-Uberplant this year is Joanna Pacitti. No doubt these contestants will feel the venom of those that question the purity of the show?s concept of bringing in professionals or semi-professionals. In the end, however, the plants usually fall flat on their face and are outshined by someone ultimately deemed worthy of the Idol title.

Now more about the aforementioned Miss DioGuardi. What exactly are her credentials other than numerous backstage and producing ties? You may want to sit down for this one and if you just ate may want to come back later. Miss DioGuardi has produced and written for such musical ?legends? as Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, and Kelly Osbourne. Remember that Katharine McPhee song that sent cats screaming and hurtling themselves in the direction of the nearest Chinese restaurant, yes that one is on her resume as well. The musical genius and stylings of the modern-day Beethoven known as Ashlee Simpson is also the product of the DioGuardi musical laboratory as well. Safe to say that any musical criticisms that our new fourth judge has to offer will be taken with a grain of salt. On second thought, maybe that should be Pepto-Bismol.

One final change the show has made in its attempt to Febreze the stench of year?s past is to lessen the silliness of the awful auditions and focus more on the human factor of the finalists. No doubt they will find a way to sanjaya this up, but it?s the effort that counts right, right? Sadly, the wants and needs of producers will still find a way to absolutely bury the also-rans and pimp their chosen ones to no end.

So here?s to another year of Idol. To screaming at the TV, to pointing and laughing at those following their dreams, and to the heavy drinking that incurs while we search for the next superstar. Cheers and let the games begin!

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

American Idol .....

a REAL REFLECTION on America

Ya actually watch this ???

Hate AI but I know that GD, Mr. Smith, and a few others have been money betting this.

Betting won't start until they get down to the finalists. The good news is there will be less of the "let's make fun of the contestants trying out" episodes this year.

GD,

Do you happen to know when they are showing the episode on the Jax tryouts? I have a friend who might be on.

Looks like two hours tonight and Wednesday as well.

These were the audition cities:

Phoenix, AZ
Kansas City, MO
Louisville, KY
Salt Lake City, UT
East Rutherford, NJ
Jacksonville, FL
San Juan, Puerto Rico
San Francisco, CA

Okay, if I remember right in year's past they had devoted an episode to each tryout site, but I guess this year they are just grouping them all together.

Thanks.

Hines,
I do not. Feel free to post the name or PM me if you wish

Tonight is confirmed Phoenix and Kansas City.

That means we will be looking for the following contenders:

Jakob McKay
Justin Williams
Michael Bartul
Asa Barnes
Derek Drake
India Morrison
Jenn and Tom Korbee
Jenesis Samoranos
Jessica Furney
Margo May
Michael Castro
Mishavonna Henson
Tasha Valentine
Perrie Cataldo
Scott McIntyre
Otto Malone
Von Smith

I'll try and post a little info about some of them before the show. No doubt there are a few human interest stories among them that Idol will be beating us over the head with.

GD - gl on AI this season...what shops do you know of hang odds on weekly vote offs? thank you sir.

SG,
Michael is Jason's younger brother.

I think I found Mr. Smith's favorite already:

Correction: Tonight will be Phoenix, tomorrow Kansas City.

Add Emily Wynne-Hughes to the list of PHX auditions.

ID,
With the format changing this year, unsure of what the books will do at first. Most wait until the final 12 for stuff like that.

My best outs would be:
WSEX-interactives are a gold mine, they have matchups as well
Matchbook-thinly traded market

as well as some of the European books and Pinnacle, if you have access to them.

If memory serves correctly, Bet365 used to be the first openers.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Will there be spoilers in this thread?

I hope not, but not sure if that's what you post in here.

Blondie

EOG Master

Will there be spoilers in this thread?

I hope not, but not sure if that's what you post in here.

Ohh hope not

but if so hopefully they will be hidden to give people the option :cheers

Going to try and mix things up a little this year. Instead of posting the current odds for all 180 some semi-finalists (actually it's more like 150 and field), I am going to wait a while on the odds.

Instead, the focus will be on highlighting some of the contenders and getting the discussion going as we follow their journey through the contest.

As usual, please try and place spoiler posts before posts if they contain time-sensitive information that may not be public knowledge to others.

The information in this thread is for entertainment purposes only.

Tonight's Dobie Dozen preview

Tonight's Dobie Dozen preview

Here's the quick rundown on the contenders to look for tonight from Phoenix:

1) Leading off- Tuan Nguyen
2) Mandatory Idol tearjerker- Scott Douglas McIntyre
3) Couples on the dance floor- Tom and Jenn Korbee
4) Brown-noser - Michael Bartul
5) Singer McDreamy- Justin Williams
6) Punk rock girl- Emily Wynne-Hughes
7) Dejavu all over again- Mishavonna Henson
8) Big shoes to fill- Derek Drake
9) Bitches and bling- Katrina Darrell
10) Precarious past- Perrie Cataldo
11) Invisible man- Jakob McKay
12) On the floor- Michael Gurr

Scott McIntyre is blind and is a multi-instrumentalist. No question Idol will play up his story.

<CENTER></CENTER>

Derek Drake. This year's Arizona Idol winner, following in the footsteps of Jordin Sparks and David Hernandez.

For the ladies, Justin Williams- contender:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/84H7i-WByp8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/84H7i-WByp8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Mishavonna Henson, yes you've seen me before. She was in Hollywood last year.

Tasha Valentine- plantalicious.

Apparently appealing to the butch dyke country crowd here:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uFP-osWAubc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uFP-osWAubc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Katrina Darrell, the aforementioned bikini girl.

Simply here for the hatred:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yil7RMsebQo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yil7RMsebQo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Perrie Cataldo, yes that is my mug shot.

In other words, I could be the greatest singer in the world but at some point my past is going to come back to haunt me.

This thread will be the biggest AI one yet, Mike.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

I like the bad auditions. Here is the best kind- some hot chick tarts herself up like Brittany Spears in pop-rocker clothing. This girl has never heard anyone in her life say anything other than how talented and great she is relentlessly ( probably from men who want to bang her) and she believes it thourougly. But its clear from her singing she is completely average, no talent at all. Not BAD mind you, although those show up too, but just average.

All the judges say no, then hot chick who thought she was the next millionaire lottery winner proceeds to go completely batshit. Awesome TV.

Simon in particular loves to tell these types off, watch for it. ( he also goes out of his way to try and be kind to overweight black girls who get let down and take it hard. He realizes they don't get the easy breaks in life like the hot chicks).

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

Mishavonna Henson, yes you've seen me before. She was in Hollywood last year.

greendoberman record 0-1 -1 unit so far this year. me no like bikinitwatgirl.

me likey this girl. me likey a lot. Kady still rules however.

biggamer3

EOG Master

Yo Smith what happened to Kady?

thought she would do a Playboy cover before she totally got forgotten

Mr. Smith,
I already found the photos from Vegas of you and Katrina Darrell. You are so busted. This is you and her at Rum Jungle*:

*Mr. Smith not pictured.

I want the 5 minutes back I spent on bikini girl's myspace. She has serious potential to be the most hated contestant ever if she advances very far. There's so much to loathe.

I forgot Mr. Smith likes 'em a little bit country. Seems his girl may be the brunette Kristy Lee Confederate. She even has a horse.

<CENTER></CENTER>

Apparently this is an offical SPOILER:

Local rumored to be American Idol contestant

Popular Fox series begins tonight

By Toby Tate
Staff Writer

Monday, January 12, 2009

"American Idol,? the popular Fox television talent series, may shroud its contestants in secrecy, clamping down on any communication with the press. But that hasn?t stopped speculation that a local man will be appearing on the show.
Several sources claim Elizabeth City native Ricky Braddy will be among contestants when the blockbuster talent show airs tonight and Wednesday.
Speculation that Braddy is a contestant began after he appeared on several FOX ?American Idol? TV ads and on several Web sites.
He was also interviewed by a FOX-affiliated TV station, WBKO, in Bowling Green, Ky., while waiting in line in Louisville, Ky., to try out for the show on Sept. 7.
?I feel like there?s a lot of these people from little communities in the South with these big dreams that they never get to realize because they never get to do it,? he told WBKO. ?Maybe I?ll get to be their encouragement.?
Local band Out?n the Cold also stated in a recent band newsletter that Braddy is slated to appear on the show.
?One more hometown talent from the Elizabeth City area making it big ... is young Mr. Ricky Braddy.? The newsletter said. ?Ricky is in the final 50 for this year?s 'American Idol.? So if you watch the show on Tuesday, 13 Jan., you might get a chance to hear him. We?re mighty proud of you Ricky, and we?re pulling for you to make it to the finals; good luck.?
In a recent interview, Out?n the Cold drummer and former Nashville musician Martin Parker had nothing but praise for Braddy?s musical abilities.
?He?s got the whole package ? he?s great. He?s a good songwriter,? Parker said. ?In my opinion, he?s going to go all the way. He?ll end up with a record deal either way.?

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

Mr. Smith,
I already found the photos from Vegas of you and Katrina Darrell. You are so busted. This is you and her at Rum Jungle*:

*Mr. Smith not pictured.

I dont like twat girl.

I am grading this as a 2 unit loser now.

you are 0-1 -2 units for the year.

I do miss Haley Scarnato. She sooo should have had a a stripper pole put on stage for that short shorts song.