American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

Mr. Smith

EOG Master
Re: American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by GreenDoberman
Danny -3000
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Id like 3 gazillion bajillion dollars on this to win 3 million. I hope you have fast payouts. Have your people get me out a check tomorrow. :+excited-

Hey man, you got my money? You're not going to forget are you? What am I saying, of course your not going to forget.

BeatTheJerk

EOG Addicted

This might be a very dumb question but the math doesn't add up for me to advance 12 finalst, when you have 3 groups of 12, and each week they pick 3 finalst out of the 3 groups of 12 thaat = 9 ? what am I missing here ............. :+clueless

Apple

Banned

The Top 36 are divided into three groups of 12. They will perform on Tuesday and America will have a chance to vote for who they like.The top three contestants from each group advance to the Top 12 (top male, top female, and whoever gets the next most votes regardless of gender). The wild card is for those who did not directly make it in the first time and are given a second chance in the wild card round. They perform and the judges, not the voters, pick which three they think deserve to be in the Top 12.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

The wild card deal is because you had to many fringe people that slid into the top 12. Normally the voters could get the top 8 or so right, but now the judges have the ultimate decision on slots 10-12. Taking it away from the voters and the popularity contest. How many times have you heard them say, I don't think the voters got this right, but there was nothing anyone could do? Now they just look at the top 9 selected, and fill in the rest with who they think will tour well. A lot of good singers got left out before. Then they actually set up the rest with heavy pimpage and it's really all of the 12 they wanted. They also manipulate it by stacking the groups of 12. In this first 12 Gokey Pokey had close to zero competition. Especially on previous air time. Only guy close was roughneck, because he is a working class guy, keeping it real. 5 flavors of brunettes, and 1 single sparkling blonde. She received some pimpage, but nothing like roughneck and dead wife dramas. They want to end up with a top 12 of thier choosing. Pretty much got that now.

The pimpometer when on heavy after Alexis wowed them, and Simon proudly announces, you remind me of Clarkson, a real dark horse to win it all.

She has it all, except she is not a roughneck, nor has a dead wife. But she has a young kid, a serviceman man, comes across as genuine and a loving mom. Another real type person. It helps theat she has stage presence and can sing, but you need the entire package these days. Petite, sexy blonde does not hurt. Welcome to season 8. Singing is important but...

Best Wishes...OF :+waving-5

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

she should have sang her song in the bikini, every man would have voted her in.

BCTTWR

EOG Dedicated

She is hot. I wish she was voted to the top 12. Who cares if she can't sing. That should have nothing to do with her advancing when you have a body like that.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

If she sang topless, I still would not have voted for her. She was that bad.

2938u4ji23

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

All she had to do was say that she'll sing topless next time if she advances.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

She has a wardrobe malfunction the ratings hit an All Time high if they preannounce it. Easily the best looking gal ever to appear on the show. Easily.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

There be some lines up now "who will advance from group 2"

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Here is the top guy. He auditioned in San Francisco. He is a theatre gay guy, and fills out the fem role we have every season. Very low on Aikenites this season, he has almost exclusive demo rights.

Here is obligatory young black chick that can sing her lungs out. Bright and shiny, great attitude. A little light on her demographic also. In the one of each in the top 12 format, she really belongs. The couple of others are just ghetto girls. She will be top girl.

Just missed with my third place guy as Anoop Dog got nothed by roughneck, but noether stood out, roughneck had better pimpage and storyline. This Pacific Islander representative cares for his sick mom, and is the one and only. I'll go with him for third place.

A lot of fallout from Hokey Dokey's buddy holding up dead wife photo ponting towards the sky. The overreaction to his performance that was not rated, and the 7 or 8 pair of designer glasses he has worn so far. Also very preferential treatment as Idol made Braddy dump his website for unfair advantage, while Hokey Gokey can have church, deadwife site and whatever he chooses. The backlash is ready to erupt.

500) {this.width = 500;}">

This guy has more baggage than the airport. And it is not going to be lost for long.

frog - pretty classless stuff if ya ask me. have some respect for gokey's wife. i'm sure idol is playing it up more than gokey wants them to.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

frog - pretty classless stuff if ya ask me. have some respect for gokey's wife. i'm sure idol is playing it up more than gokey wants them to.

What's classless is pimping your dead wife for economic gain. There's no way idol went out and said get a couple of church people to be guests and hold up a photo of your wife. Your not sure of anything. In fact, when he gave his sermon to all of his new church member's during a surprise appearance the first words out of his mouth was you know my wife died. Idol was not there. The church is more like a cult where they worship ecomonic gain and profit. He was the lead singer of the church band. Not a choir director. This is one gigantic ploy by this false prophet and backers to fleece them all. What would Jesus do? He would throw this den of thieves out of the church. I do have respect for Gokey's wife and think this is a total disgrace.

Wynn

EOG Enthusiast

What's classless is pimping your dead wife for economic gain. There's no way idol went out and said get a couple of church people to be guests and hold up a photo of your wife. Your not sure of anything. In fact, when he gave his sermon to all of his new church member's during a surprise appearance the first words out of his mouth was you know my wife died. Idol was not there. The church is more like a cult where they worship ecomonic gain and profit. He was the lead singer of the church band. Not a choir director. This is one gigantic ploy by this false prophet and backers to fleece them all. What would Jesus do? He would throw this den of thieves out of the church. I do have respect for Gokey's wife and think this is a total disgrace.

OF, where did you find the information about his Cult/Church and its profit-making activities?

FLIP-A-COIN

EOG Addicted

Identity, normally I just ignore your ramblings for what they are worth, which is pretty much nothing.

However, this time you are so off base I just wanted to tell you to STFU.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

OF, where did you find the information about his Cult/Church and its profit-making activities?

It's all over the net. A lot of former members are coming forward. Some of it is tame, but some of it is not. I could post the posts and messages from church members. It's out there and sprading like wildfire.

Best Wishes...oF :+waving-5

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Here's a guy that went to the church on a fact finding mission.

Man, you guys fucking OWE me. That was the dumbest 2 hours I've ever spent.

They have a little bookstore set up with DVDs by both of the Pruitts, and I'm sure profits go straight to their pockets. It was advertised as "Jeffrey Pruitt Ministries Productions Presents" or something like that. Didn't ask for the prices. A notable DVD, by the wife, was titled "How to Be a Playmate", seemingly about how to be sexier for your husband. Like a good Christian woman, I guess. They also sell terrible looking costume jewelry, presumably for the same reason.

The worship area or whatever they call it looks like a big conference room. Big screens on either side, those stupid indirect lighting lamps on the walls. You could imagine how awful the music was with those crappy acoustics.

There were 9 vocalists. NINE. That's not counting the 25-person choir. It was all high-energy, choir bouncing back and forth, and they switched lead vocalists off and on. It was like a crappy pop album. You know, the background vocals sing the part, and the lead just kind of echoes certain parts of it? That's how it was presented. I read somewhere in this thread, or in the links, that it was like a big show. That's a good description. It all felt like a televangelist TV special.

Then Big Pruitt waddled out and rambled through a 10-minute prayer. He then let us know that God was telling him someone ("I'm not gonna call anyone out") was suffering from a "sharp pain in their wrist.....God is touching that right now." He also did this for "someone" suffering from migraine headaches. A true prophet, he is.

Sermon wasn't anything special, but one thing made me laugh. People kept getting up and moving around, coming and going, and he said "I don't want anyone to leave, it's time for giving." Don't leave! I need your money first! Is it common for churches to accept credit card information for tithes? I've never seen it before today, but that might just be because I don't church hop that often.

But I've saved the best for last. Right before the sermon started, guess who got to make an appearance? Yes, our very own Versace-glasses-wearing doucheface Danny. I read this up there:

Dipsy wrote: I do wonder how much of this dead wife story is Idol edit.

None of it. The story with this guy begins and ends with his late wife. Practically the first words out of his mouth were, "I remember, just a few days before my wife passed..." I had to really struggle not to laugh out loud. To be honest, I didn't really pay attention after that because he was just rambling about Idol and how the church is making a difference or something. I'm sure whatever he said was stupid.

I'm not going back.

This pretty much blows the AI just edited it that way Identity. So I am pretty sure, you are wrong.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Here's a former member that has nothing against Gokey at all. But pretty much tells it like it is. Tame, but pretty insightful when you read between the lines.

A family member of mine found this blog doing a search for Dan Gokey and sent it my way. I am just leaving this message for anyone who may like more information about FBIM and their connection with Danny Gokey. Being a former member of the church, I feel responsible to at least offer my perspective of the situation.

During the 8 years that I attended FBIM (formerly called: New Ark Christian Center) I watched Dan Gokey go from a nervous, young worship leader to a confident worship leader. I knew him personally and we even spent some time together outside of the church. He is a good man, and I am glad to see him pursuing a career using his God-given talent. Because I did not directly work in the music department, I cannot say anything in regard to the allegations about him being flirtatious with the girls or argumentative with the other worship team members, but I could guess that the allegations from the anonymous individual may be slightly overstated. Dan definitely matured over the years and it would be wrong to hold those things against him.

I worked in the FBIM A/V (Audio/Visual) department for about 4 years and before leaving I worked in the children?s ministry for about 2 years. In all 8 years of attendance, which was primarily in the Milwaukee location, I witnessed everything that was stated in this blog. Not only did I witness what went on in the Church in general, but I was also given ?leadership? status and was allowed to attend the leadership meetings. Therefore, I am a witness to the allegations against FBIM. The information given in this blog is NOT gossip; it is not the attempt of some anonymous individual to get revenge over a personal offense. There are many people that have been hurt by churches such as these, and I and this individual are not the only ones.

Looking back on the situation now, it?s clear to me that we all (including myself) wanted the form of ministry that Jeff Pruitt was modeling for us. Jeff Pruitt wanted a megachurch, by his own admission, and so did we.

The doctrine basically states that God sets one man over a particular region or city and that every Christian in that region is accountable to God to submit to that man. At first this doctrine is taught inside the walls of the church; thus, all of the members of the church must comply with this doctrine so that the entire region will eventually come under the umbrella of this particular man who is God?s ?covering? for that region.

All of this is taught at FBIM, and it produced the results that the nameless blogger described. Most of the time I attended the church I felt a sense of manipulation and control. When someone believes, as Jeff Pruitt does, that he is the ?man of God? it is difficult to question him. There are people out there that just want to find something to criticize someone about. I am not that person. I just think that we all need to be corrected at times, and when you put yourself in a position that is untouchable you are setting yourself up to nurture your pride. I could tell that Pruitt did not take correction well. As long as we were a part of the church we were not allowed to do anything apart from the pastor?s final decision. I tried to get council from the associate pastor for my mental problems, but the answer was always the same: you can?t do it if pastor doesn?t approve. And my struggle at the time was merely changing my volunteer work from the A/V to the children?s ministry. Because I was so mentally distraught I left the A/V anyway and went to the children?s ministry. Shortly after that, the associate pastor that I tried to get council from left the church.

Sadly, during my entire time at the church, I do not remember Jeff Pruitt saying much about being moral, following the Ten Commandments, or even following the teachings of Jesus like the Sermon on the Mount. Rather, he taught about how to get healthy, wealthy, and stay in line with the proper spiritual authority (which of course was him).

One final word: I get very tired of hearing Christians say that we shouldn?t judge. There?s a world of difference between being unnecessarily critical, and simply correcting people that are doing immoral and unrighteous things. If we are not supposed to judge then why did Jesus say [this] in Matthew 18:15-17

[cut out some Scripture]

These are very strong words. If someone refuses to receive correction, according to Jesus we are supposed to expose his faults publically. Everyone who was formerly involved has a responsibility to lay out the facts concerning FBIM and churches like it.

...[Y]ou should probably be careful not to allow Dan?s connection with the church to move you to financially support it.

I read somewhere church attendence has doubled, since Hokey Gokey and dead wife sob story started. This member was so rightous they left because of the corruption and lack of worship. What does that say?

Apple

Banned

Great stuff frog.. This thread is the best one going here by far

Interesting, Frog. However, I still see not a thing about danny being a fraud. if the church pastor is a fraud, or not, that is his problem. that is not the same person as danny gokey. danny lost his wife. it is part of who he is. that's all. he's not attention whoring it imho.

flip - here's a quarter...go buy urself a clue....

:mutley

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

He is either been brainwashed and or manipulated by this musical church of profit, or he is doing it on his own, with thier blessing, for advancement and profit. Either way, he is a tasteless remorseless dog. Normal people go through several phases of grieving. Anger, anxiety, depression, remorse, and it could take anywhere from a few weeks to never getting over it. Within days he was establishing the donation network, which is signed for and ran by his brother in law by marraige. The same goof that held up the photo. Send me money. And the funds, surprise, surprise, are sent directly to the church, the Pastor Rolex Pruitt. Normally people will designate the American Heart Association. A legit charity.

His next phase of grief was rehearsing and practicing for his Idol audition, including rehearsing sob story, over and over. Less than a month in, he was singing his way to stardom. A lot of handlers of AI contestants are not comfortable with his constant use of the dead wife. Even Simon gave him a you should be the dead one look while the other three judges were lavishing praise on him. Holding up the photo during the voting segment was beyond tasteless.

Many people around the bar of the hotel say when you get him off camera he is almost dismissive of her, saying it is all me. Drinking at the bar, laughing it up with Jamar. Even the other contestants are beginning to backlash. Enough is enough. The producers are going to have to make a tough decision. They are going to have to give him enough rope to hang himself. Too many are coming out and saying this is a farce. It is just a matter of time before a very unfavorable report or article comes out on him, and his church, which he is extremely active in. Whne the mainstream dirty laundry airs, he is done.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

A Backlash Brewing?
Posted by Jason Langbehn on February 22, 2009

Danny Gokey is in the the Top 12. That was never in doubt. Whether church music teacher whose wife died of a heart condition four weeks before his audition can go all the way, however, is another matter entirely. Even with all the momentum he's gained over the past few weeks, his chances seem to be dwindling by the day.

Yes, he has a lot of fans -- including the show's producers and judges, clearly -- but he probably has just as many detractors at this point. That latter group is growing, especially after a picture of his wife was hoisted in front of the cameras during Tuesday night's show. In Friday's episode of Idolatry (an EW chat show I whole-heartedly endorse), Kristen Baldwin accuses Danny of "pimping the memory of his dead wife to get votes." She also calls his actions "disgusting" and says he is "using his grief to his own advantage, and it's gross."

Baldwin's words may come off a bit harsh-sounding, but she's right. We aren't calling into question Danny's love for his wife, and how he chooses to grieve after her death is his decision. Still, it's hard not to see the efforts of Danny & Friends as contrived and exploitative. (Check out this informative post about the megachurch he belongs to.) As well as totally unneccesary when you consider his actual talent. And just look at the way David Cook handled some tough issues he was going through last year. He clearly was reluctant to talk about his brother's battle with cancer. When he did open up a bit, he always kept his family's privacy in mind. That had to have won him more votes -- and respect -- in the end.

There's an inevitable backlash against the early front-runner every season, and it probably won't be any different with Danny this time around. But I think the more uses the platform of American Idol to talk about his wife's death, the less likely it is America will want to keep him around. The show's apparent double standard when it comes to fan sites and outside publicity won't help, either.

Hey Identity, remember that David Cook guy you loved after you dumped your original pick Carly because she was outed as a plant? He had a similar situation a brother dying of cancer. You barely heard about it, he kept it private and asked the producers not to play it up. He handled it with dignity and grace. Unlike Gokey. He is supplying all of the photos, wedding tapes, everything. He would probably allow them to exhume her. While David Cook let his talent win out and handled his personal affairs with class, he won it all. Gokey well, they are sharpening the axe as we post.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Top 10 songs Hokey Gokey will probably not sing.

10. Baby Come Back
9. Peg
8. Running with the Devil
7. No More Mr. Nice Guy
6. Lonely Days
5. No Quarter
4. Walk Away
3. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
2. No More Tears

1. (With a bullet) Mary Jane's Last Dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdTYcnUBADw

I know, I know, I'm going to burn in Hell. Tell me something I have not heard a million times before.

Best Wishes...OF :+waving-5 :devil:

This opened up at +325/-375. Steadily moving towards the field. Also a last longer prop up between Danny and Alexis.

Gokey is likely this season's sacrificial lamb front runner and another chosen one is lurking in the shadows. We shall see soon enough.

<TABLE onmouseover="changeto(event, '#E6E6E6')" style="WIDTH: 100%" onmouseout="changeback(event, '#E6E6E6')" border=0><TBODY><TR class=Column_Date_Headers_Odds id=ctl00_MCPH_CL_ignore_1><TD colSpan=3>American Idol 2009: Odds to win 2009 American Idol

</TD></TR><TR class=Column_Headers_Odds id=ctl00_MCPH_CL_ignore_2><TD style="WIDTH: 25%">Tue 2/24</TD><TD colSpan=2>Odds to win 2009 American Idol</TD></TR><TR class=AlternatingData1><TD>04:00 PM</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 53%">11 Danny Gokey</TD><TD style="WIDTH: 22%">+350</TD></TR><TR class=AlternatingData1><TD> </TD><TD>12 The Field</TD><TD>-400</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

perhaps by popular EOG demand they could kick out Dickhead Danny and replace with Casey Carlson

Odds to advance from group 2 to final 12:

Adam Lambert -300
Jasmine Murray -150
Matt Giraud +125
Megan Corkrey +125
Mick Mitchell +150
Kai Kalama +250
Allison Iraheta +250
Matt Breitzke +400
Kris Allen +400
Jesse Langseth +400
Mishavonna Henson +500
Jeanine Vailes +800

Looks like Matchbook has these up for pennies, a few of the European books have some stuff too.

Good to see Matchbook fixed their error from last week.

Odds to advance from group 2 to final 12:

Adam Lambert -300
Jasmine Murray -150
Matt Giraud +125
Megan Corkrey +125
Mick Mitchell +150
Kai Kalama +250
Allison Iraheta +250
Matt Breitzke +400
Kris Allen +400
Jesse Langseth +400
Mishavonna Henson +500
Jeanine Vailes +800

GD - do you know what they are singing yet?

Frog - I have read enough to reach a conclusion. I think Danny is doing it, both in honor of her, but also to use it to go farther in the competition. Is that wrong? Maybe. Maybe with his career he wants to devote the money to charitable causes. We will learn more as the story unravels. I think in the end he just loves her so much. Heck, she just passed away recently. A month later he was on national t.v. I think we need to give him a bit of a break until it is revealed that this is totally money motivated. Remember, the AI producers are pounding on him to give them the pictures. He is probably listening to his friends and the Church members justifying why he should turn it over to AI.

In any case, he is not good enough to win the whole competition. He could make it far. But when all the church stories come out, people are gonna bail on him.

Best wishes...ID:+waving-5

From a recent interview:

Gokey, 28, who lost his wife, Sophia, to a congenital heart defect, said he worries that the audience might grow weary of hearing about his tragedy.
"It's only been seven months since she passed," Gokey said. "It's not that I throw it in people's faces but I get asked about it all the time. ... I apologize to everybody if it feels like it's shoved down their face, but it's so fresh in my mind."
He doesn't carry a reminder of her onstage, he said, "because she's so deeply ingrained in my heart and mind that she's part of who I am." His "spunky" wife would be happy for him, said Gokey, a church music director from Milwaukee.

From a recent interview:

Gokey, 28, who lost his wife, Sophia, to a congenital heart defect, said he worries that the audience might grow weary of hearing about his tragedy.
"It's only been seven months since she passed," Gokey said. "It's not that I throw it in people's faces but I get asked about it all the time. ... I apologize to everybody if it feels like it's shoved down their face, but it's so fresh in my mind."
He doesn't carry a reminder of her onstage, he said, "because she's so deeply ingrained in my heart and mind that she's part of who I am." His "spunky" wife would be happy for him, said Gokey, a church music director from Milwaukee.

And your point is? :pop:

I have no point. I am irrelevant and I had no Valentine. :hangt

Not true...

You are very relevant, I thought mofome was/is your Valentine but like me, some of your responses on here are totally irrelevant...:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Now how about getting off of the pity pot?

Not true...

You are very relevant, I thought mofome was/is your Valentine but like me, some of your responses on here are totally irrelevant...:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Now how about getting off of the pity pot?

Mo's been dating hot chicks in Baltimore who delight in the one-night-stand.

As far as the pity-pot? Send me daisies and I'll think about it. :devil: