Andrea Jaeger admits purposely losing '83 Wimbledon final

Report: Ex-player Jaeger admits purposely losing '83 Wimbledon final - Tennis - CBSSports.com Scoreboard, Schedules, Players

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Andrea Jaeger said in an interview with a British newspaper that she purposely lost the 1983 Wimbledon final to Martina Navratilova.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Jaeger turned professional at 14 and retired five years later after blowing out her shoulder in the 1985 French Open. She became a nun in 2006, and said she threw the 1983 final at the All England Club in an interview published Saturday in the Daily Mail.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "During the match I missed balls on purpose. I hit right to Martina and when I was getting whipped in the first set 6-0, I tried to look upset about it," said Jaeger, who lost 6-0, 6-3. "I glanced at my dad. He knew something was wrong because I never got nervous and always started great."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Jaeger said she got into an argument with her father the afternoon before the final and fled the home she was renting. She was only 18 in 1983, and she said she went next door to where Navratilova was staying in order to call a taxi.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I was upset and kept pounding on the door and ringing the bell until Martina's trainer, Nancy Lieberman, opened the door and took me to the kitchen," Jaeger said. "Martina was sitting in the living room. She glanced round at me briefly with a look on her face to say that I'd interrupted her preparation for the final. She stayed seated and didn't look at me again.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I couldn't have done that in her position, but all I thought at the time was: 'I've changed her routine and affected her. I can't go out and try in the final now,"' Jaeger added. "Martina missed her chance to help her neighbor who was suffering in order to fulfill her desire, so I had to make it right. I gave up my desire to give someone their help."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The win was the third of nine Wimbledon singles titles for Navratilova. [/FONT]

Re: Andrea Jaeger admits purposely losing '83 Wimbledon final

imho, no such thing as "throwing a match" against Martina back in that era. That woman kicked some major ass back then.

imho, no such thing as "throwing a match" against Martina back in that era. That woman kicked some major ass back then.

I agree. Maybe the '85 New England Patriots threw it in the Super Bowl when they lost to the Chicago Bears also.

The Devil

EOG Master

she became a nun???? maybe in her mind it's true.........

Ex-player Jaeger admits purposely losing '83 Wimbledon

Ex-player Jaeger admits purposely losing '83 Wimbledon

Ex-player Jaeger admits purposely losing '83 Wimbledon final July 5, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports
<!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> WIMBLEDON, England -- Andrea Jaeger said in an interview with a British newspaper that she purposely lost the 1983 Wimbledon final to Martina Navratilova.<!--sizec--> <!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> Jaeger turned professional at 14 and retired five years later after blowing out her shoulder in the 1985 French Open. She became a nun in 2006, and said she threw the 1983 final at the All England Club in an interview published Saturday in the Daily Mail. <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> "During the match I missed balls on purpose. I hit right to Martina and when I was getting whipped in the first set 6-0, I tried to look upset about it," said Jaeger, who lost 6-0, 6-3. "I glanced at my dad. He knew something was wrong because I never got nervous and always started great."<!--sizec--> <!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> Jaeger said she got into an argument with her father the afternoon before the final and fled the home she was renting. She was only 18 in 1983, and she said she went next door to where Navratilova was staying in order to call a taxi.<!--sizec--> <!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> "I was upset and kept pounding on the door and ringing the bell until Martina's trainer, Nancy Lieberman, opened the door and took me to the kitchen," Jaeger said. "Martina was sitting in the living room. She glanced round at me briefly with a look on her face to say that I'd interrupted her preparation for the final. She stayed seated and didn't look at me again.<!--sizec--> <!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> "I couldn't have done that in her position, but all I thought at the time was: 'I've changed her routine and affected her. I can't go out and try in the final now,"' Jaeger added. "Martina missed her chance to help her neighbor who was suffering in order to fulfill her desire, so I had to make it right. I gave up my desire to give someone their help."<!--sizec--> <!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> The win was the third of nine Wimbledon singles titles for Navratilova. <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc--> <!--fonto:Arial Helvetica--><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><!--/sizeo--> AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2007-2008, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved <!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--><!--/fontc-->

Ex-player Jaeger admits purposely losing '83 Wimbledon final - Tennis - CBSSports.com Scoreboard, Schedules, Players

mr merlin

EOG Master
Re: Ex-player Jaeger admits purposely losing '83 Wimbledon

Huh, I'm not sure about her logic, but that is interesting.

Ego- Missed your thread.

Journeyman

EOG Master

That's crazy! It sounds like she thru the match because she interupted the routine?

Nancy Lieberman was also Martina's partner in love off the court.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

In light of what she is doing now with her life hard to criticize Jaeger for this NOW. if i had bet her at the time i'd be PISSSSSSSSSSED but now - she has earned the "pass"

Andrea Jaeger throwing matches. Terry Bradshaw admitting to steroid use.

Will the next old superstar please step to the Confession Booth..

newb411

EOG Enthusiast

very interesting article, but i can't be sure whether to believe it or not.. even if she played in top form, i doubt she would've won anyways...