Angel Hernandez

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
I know this has been discussed here before but how on earth is this guy a big league umpire?

He misses on BOTH corners, which is absolute death to hitters.

At least he’s consistent giving the pitcher both corners though... throw a wildly INconsistent top of the zone in there and it goes from bad to plain horrible.

Do umpires have some kind of “lifetime tenure” system in place like college professors or something? You can’t tell me this guy is one of the top 60 umpires in the pro baseball system today.

Valuist

EOG Master
Hitters don't like him because he calls a ton of borderline pitches as strikes. But pitchers don't like him because he's not consistant. Everyone knows he's terrible except for the league office.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
I would think the league office has to know too. In the technology/metrics age all his misses are recorded for the whole world to see.

That’s why I’m wondering about the tenure thing... maybe he’s “unfireable,” for lack of a better term.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
I don't even have to see what your talking about to say in almost 40 yrs of watching sports he is arguably the worst regular umpire/referee I have seen in any sport. It's not all about his ball and strikes which appear to change periodically and is inconsistent which has teams scratching their heads. He appears to have bad relationships with players, teams and possibly other umpires I would think. In an already intense/emotional game instead of trying to get control of the environment and maintain the peace I have seen him multiple times goat players into getting thrown out or makes situations worse so is that the kind of person you want in charge of a game who lacks emotional instability and professionalism? At some point I was thinking he's protected by the umpires union and there's not a lot that can be done.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Supreme Court judges are NOT the only ones who should have a job for Life

When the new Umps agreement is reached I'd like to see 2 things:

Mandatory fitness requirements. Just like they do in the NFL, NBA and NHL. I don't need to see OBESE Joe West and Fieldin Culbreth waddling around out there. If you can't pass a fitness test you can't ump.

Promotion/Relegation: Every 3 years the 5 worst MLB Umps get sent down to AAA and the 5 best Minor League Umps get promoted to MLB. This helps get rid of umps whose name we know - for bad reasons. It is time umps like: Angel Hernandez, Phil Cuzzi, CB Bucknor, Laz Diaz, Joe West and more be "gotten rid of" because they suck. West would retire - GOOD! It is infinite times harder to make MLB as an Ump as opposed to player. None of us has a "Job for Life" - so neither should pathetically awful umps.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
In the 2018 ALDS between the Red Sox and Yankees, umpire Angel Hernandez had four of his five calls overturned by replay.

Awful.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Angel was behind the plate last week for the twins game, he was terrible, balls called strikes, strikes called balls, even on the calls that favored the twins the announcers were moaning.

TEXED

EOG Veteran
He is obviously untouchable, and I'm sure he's well aware of it.
1. Umpires Union
2. Minority
3. He has already sued MLB, and would definitely file another prolonged suit in which discrimination would be the central point and the media would focus on that.
'

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
With analytics being a major part of the game now and legalized national sports betting spreading across the country, where are the technological advances to measure an umpire's accuracy and safeguard the sport's integrity?

Last edited:

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
Equal opportunity anger Last week in the red sox rangers game with Angel working his magic behind the plate as both managers wound up ejected .

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
The pitch that got Trout in his last AB actually was a strike, but that same location had been called ball most of the evening prior.