Another game, another blown call (Arizona/Dallas)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Dallas head coach Mike McCarthy mismanaged his second-half timeouts.

With no timeouts outside the two-minute warning, Dallas could not challenge the controversial call on the field of the runner being ruled down.

From the replays I watched, it appeared Arizona running back Chase Edmonds fumbled the ball BEFORE he should have been ruled down.

Dallas grabbed a clear fumble recovery but all for naught.

Three snaps later, game's over.

Final score: Arizona 25 Dallas 22.

I don’t know why teams don’t use more of their time outs in the 1st half? Then in the second half they call a timeout on 3rd & 8 with the play clock running out. I would rather have all 3 time outs in the second half available especially in a close game. Let me see, 5 yard penalty or keep a valuable time out…. 🤔

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I don’t know why teams don’t use more of their time outs in the 1st half? Then in the second half they call a timeout on 3rd & 8 with the play clock running out. I would rather have all 3 time outs in the second half available especially in a close game. Let me see, 5 yard penalty or keep a valuable time out…. 🤔

Exactly.

First-half timeouts are underused and second-half timeouts are overused.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master

Right.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
I tend to see teams utilize the full allowance of their timeouts especially in a 2:00 drill or the team that tends to have the ball last before halftime. For me it's the quality of the utilization, although there are certain teams who are content where they stand if and how many points they are up when they go to waste. So if they're utilizing early in the first half, it's not so glaring considering if you're in a good position heading into the locker room and mattering more In the 2nd half.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Teams made halftime adjustments 30 years ago in the NFL.

Today, the smart teams are making critical adjustments after every play.

Valuist

EOG Master
3rd down stop by the Browns.....nope. Extended by a ridiculous unsportsman like 15 yarder on Clowney extends drive. Not quite as outlandish as the Cassius Marsh unsportsmanlike penalty but one common denom: both times the Steelers were the beneficiaries.

Last edited:

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
3rd down stop by the Browns.....nope. Extended by a ridiculous unsportsman like 15 yarder on Clowney extends drive. Not quite as outlandish as the Cassius Marsh unsportsmanlike penalty but one common denom: both times the Steelers were the beneficiaries.

Back in the day, Marty Schottenheimer would cut Clowney at halftime.

Inexcusable move by a player who should know better.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated
Mayfield playing himself out as Browns future starter behind center.

From the litany of tipped passes, to all the INT's. Mayfield continues to regress.

1 for 10 passing in the first half.

railbird

EOG Master
the racist ref just won the game for the steelers, black ref called phantom hold on browns white center

mr merlin

EOG Master
his wrs poor route runners and low iq, his o line sucks. the scheme sucks
They're 7-9 and this is a talented team - baker has had 4 seasons and is not improving - he's getting worse. He's not a good passer, he cant run, and he hasn't shown the ability to make things happen.

If anything you expect something bad to happen when he's in the position to have a game winning/tying drive.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
To be fair to the ref here, that guy looked down in real time before the ball game out. Obviously the knee didnt touch but that's what the challenge flag is for. Oh wait, Dallas has Meathead McCarthy as a head coach and had already used all of his timeouts.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sad....you can't get excited about any big play until you realize that 'flag' highlighted in lower
right box is not popping up.

Not to mention, ESPN's devious use of bright yellow graphics on the bottom right side of the screen to draw your eyes to their latest promotion.

Ray Donovan

EOG Member
So do u feel McCarthy should be replaced this off season, after making the playoffs ? Does Jerry Jones still have the baLLs to do it ?

blueline

EOG Master
Mayfield wants a trade unless the play calling changes.

Lombardi said it over and over and Cowher said it on mannings monday night show....make mayfield beat you from the pocket.

mayfield cant see downfield when you keep him in the pocket