Another no-hitter

ouch

EOG Dedicated
If MLB is not going to count 7 inning no-hitters, then why bother to play seven inning games?

Are complete games thrown by a pitcher in a 7 inning game counted?

All of the numbers get skewed when you do stuff like this.

It just denigrates the game.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Another hypothetical is let's say a pitcher has a perfect game through 9 innings, but the game is tied 0-0. The pitcher comes out to face the top of the 10th, with a runner put on 2nd base automatically. Is the perfect game then ruined due to the a runner being awarded 2nd base per the rules? The pitcher didn't allow this runner to reach base. Technically his teammates did by not scoring any runs. I suppose in this scenario the perfect game would be over.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Another hypothetical is let's say a pitcher has a perfect game through 9 innings, but the game is tied 0-0. The pitcher comes out to face the top of the 10th, with a runner put on 2nd base automatically. Is the perfect game then ruined due to the a runner being awarded 2nd base per the rules? The pitcher didn't allow this runner to reach base. Technically his teammates did by not scoring any runs. I suppose in this scenario the perfect game would be over.
That is a very interesting question.

Valuist

EOG Master

It's an unearned baserunner. The perfect game would still be intact until a batter legitimately got on base. It's not the pitcher's fault that Manfred had (another) brain camp and made a stupid rule.

ouch

EOG Dedicated
It's an unearned baserunner. The perfect game would still be intact until a batter legitimately got on base. It's not the pitcher's fault that Manfred had (another) brain camp and made a stupid rule.

In your scenario, if the next 3 batters all ground out, and the run comes around to score, how could you have a perfect game if the other team has scored a run?

The short answer is, "you can't."

And again.....it all goes back to the stupidity of Manfred in trying to speed up the game.

If you want the game to be faster, go back to 90 second breaks between innings. What?.......you might lose money from advertising?........well forget about that!

It would help if batters would get their asses in the box when they hit instead of going through the ritual of touching every part of their body in between pitches.

In the 60s and 70s, a 14-8 game could be played in 2:30. Today, that same game might take 4 hours. It is no wonder why baseball is losing its popularity.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good point about shortening the commercial time between innings.

Every part of the game seems to be commercialized these days.

Who needs two minutes and 20 seconds between innings?

The first pitch is sponsored, the weather forecast is sponsored, the fifth inning is sponsored and the announcers are constantly mentioning ticket sales and upcoming promotions.

Billboards are everywhere at the stadium and companies are looking for spots to connect with their local baseball teams.

Sell the ad time before the game or after the game, but let's get the action on the field moving at a faster pace.

Valuist

EOG Master
In your scenario, if the next 3 batters all ground out, and the run comes around to score, how could you have a perfect game if the other team has scored a run?

The short answer is, "you can't."

And again.....it all goes back to the stupidity of Manfred in trying to speed up the game.

If you want the game to be faster, go back to 90 second breaks between innings. What?.......you might lose money from advertising?........well forget about that!

It would help if batters would get their asses in the box when they hit instead of going through the ritual of touching every part of their body in between pitches.

In the 60s and 70s, a 14-8 game could be played in 2:30. Today, that same game might take 4 hours. It is no wonder why baseball is losing its popularity.

The games are getting longer but feel like tons longer. Just not enough balls in play; not enough great defensive plays, stolen bases, triples. Blame the obsession with pitch velocity and exit velocity. I heard a great line from Nick Madrigal yesterday: "I don't care what my exit velocity is". Instead of striking out or rolling over a weak ground ball, he fought off a tough pitch for a bloop double.....with an exit velo of 75. I'm sure the analytic community would rather see a hitter fly out than hit a bloop double.

From what I've seen of Madrigal, he may only be a rookie, but he's smarter about the game than most veterans.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Good point about shortening the commercial time between innings.

Every part of the game seems to be commercialized these days.

Who needs two minutes and 20 seconds between innings?

The first pitch is sponsored, the weather forecast is sponsored, the fifth inning is sponsored and the announcers are constantly mentioning ticket sales and upcoming promotions.

Billboards are everywhere at the stadium and companies are looking for spots to connect with their local baseball teams.

Sell the ad time before the game or after the game, but let's get the action on the field moving at a faster pace.
You see rotating ads next to the pitching rubber from the CF camera now.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

It is probably no different than a batter getting on base via an error, it was not the fault of the pitcher. A runner placed at 2nd base at the top of the 10th inning is not the fault of the pitcher either, it is the fault of the offense for not getting runs. Kind of falls into the same category I think.

Valuist

EOG Master

When I first opened the link, the first guy that came to mind was Charlie Morton, who was pretty mediocre before he got to Houston. Then in his late 30s he "finds" all that velocity? Have to believe a team who's already been caught cheating on the hitting end would be looking for similar liberties on the pitching mound.

Morton was pretty terrible this season until his last 2 starts. He must've gotten his shipment.

Valuist

EOG Master
This one was an empty accomplishment. No hitters have become devalued, and a "team no hitter" is pretty much irrelevant. A no hitter is supposed to be an individual accomplishment. Shame on David Ross. He could've at least brought Davies out for the 7th inning, He only was at 94 pitches.

railbird

EOG Master
like i said, with all these hispanics swinging out of their ass and so many whifs im expecting this year to have most no hitters ever, no hitters are no longer a big deal imo. they will be as common as stingrays off the seal beach pier, ask any of those fisherman how common, they catch a sting ray every 10 minutes
a no hitter thru 4 in milwaukee so far

railbird

EOG Master
i was a better qb than pitcher imo. but not on paper.
funny story as of 2015 i could throw a football from home to 2nd base but not a baseball, have had a micro tear in shoulder from tennis since and now a wrist injury so cant play tennis, which has caused depression according to some doctors.

railbird

EOG Master
the most famous batter i struck out wasnt jeff kent or bret boone, but instead the SNL character Will Ferrell