Another Sept 11.....where were you when the planes hit?

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
I was using AOL instant messenger with my buddy speaking about the previous night's Monday Night Football game, at Denver. I believe Ed Mccaffery broke his leg in that game. When at that moment, my pager went off with a news alert that there was a plane crash in NYC at the WTC. Didn't think much of it, maybe a small plane? Who knew at that time. Then as the minutes progressed, I found out there was another, and it was confirmed that these were Jet Airliners, and the country was under attack. The internet became very slow. I had a TV in our conference room, and we all at watching the events unfold. We closed up at about 1pm as no one wanted to work. In Detroit, we are on the border of Canada, and the border was locked down, something that I never heard of either. Sadly, one of my business acquaintances, who worked for Canter Fitzgerald died that day, while working on the 105th floor of the WTC (the tower with the antenna). He was 30 years old, and left behind a wife and a 1 year old son.

I had a trip planned for Las Vegas, which I kept, pending if they were to fly again. We flew out the morning of when travel resumed. People were jittery on the plane, and everyone was checking out everyone else. Very surreal. Once in LV, I never saw it so dead, all over town. At Bellagio, they only had 1 craps table going and not many blackjack happening. Every sports book around town was deserted as no sports was going on.

What a very sad and shocking time.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
My bus had just exited the Battery Tunnel headed uptown around 8:30 on my way to work, some 15 minutes or so before the first plane hit. I get in just before 9am and my colleagues are huddled around a radio listening to the events unfold. When the second plane hit, it all sunk in that we were under attack, and the boss let us leave around 11. Crossed the 59th Street bridge on foot, and arrived in Queens when I got lucky that transportation sporadically was back in effect at 1pm. I completely avoid the city and after taking a train to Brooklyn grab a bus arriving home to Staten Island by 3:30, witnessing smoldering smoke and fires over the skyline in complete disbelief and shock.

kane

EOG master
I was on my way to get new tires for my car, I didn't turn the TV on that morning, I got up and left the house, turned on the radio and heard what was happening, I watched the coverage on a TV at the garage while my tires were being put on

Wade

EOG Master
9/11 was fake news. no one cares. I was at work and not one person mentioned anything about it.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Was playing golf that morning in the Dominican Republic....made the turn and there was a crowd of people watching the TV in the clubhouse....needless to say that we quit after nine holes....

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
Old plumber 40 years. I move around. Lot of jobs over the years. I will never forget where I was working 9/11/01.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Listening to the old SportsMemo radio show in the 7:00 hour, Las Vegas time.

I heard college football analyst Brent Crow say to host Tim Trushel in a Southern drawl, "Teeeem...I think a plane just hit a building in New York."

Bushay

NHL Expert
Was delivering bread in a supermarket when a competitor shouted to me from down the aisle his wife just called and told him the news. A week later drove to NJ with my brother for business and from across the river could still see the smoke smoldering a week later.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
About to leave for work when my Dad called and asked if I heard. Needless to say work didn’t happen. Mortgage funding was shut down until the following Tuesday if I recall correctly

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Sleeping. I woke up with the radio coming on about 7:20A (PDT) to hear the normally funny and light-hearted Tony Bruno say: "We are at War." This was waaaaaaaay out of character for Tony. I wondered WTF was he talking about so I got up, turned on the TV and saw WTF he was talking about. Like most I watched in stunned silence. I called a friend and asked if he was watching TV. He said he was not. I told him to turn on the TV. He asked what channel. I told him "Doesn't Matter." We recall me saying this 18 years later.

The day before I took Mom/Dad to John Wayne for a flight to SF. They were there about a week so they flew home OK. Living near John Wayne I would see planes flying overhead all the time but not seeing any for some time was strange

The NCAA/NFL did not play any games that weekend. But local JC teams did so friends and I went to the Fullerton JC game and just enjoyed an escape from reality. It was wonderful to do anything "normal" in this time period

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Sleeping. I woke up with the radio coming on about 7:20A (PDT) to hear the normally funny and light-hearted Tony Bruno say: "We are at War." This was waaaaaaaay out of character for Tony. I wondered WTF was he talking about so I got up, turned on the TV and saw WTF he was talking about. Like most I watched in stunned silence. I called a friend and asked if he was watching TV. He said he was not. I told him to turn on the TV. He asked what channel. I told him "Doesn't Matter." We recall me saying this 18 years later.

The day before I took Mom/Dad to John Wayne for a flight to SF. They were there about a week so they flew home OK. Living near John Wayne I would see planes flying overhead all the time but not seeing any for some time was strange

The NCAA/NFL did not play any games that weekend. But local JC teams did so friends and I went to the Fullerton JC game and just enjoyed an escape from reality. It was wonderful to do anything "normal" in this time period

That was another strange thing too.....not seeing any airplanes flying.....we are north of Detroit, and the landing patterns into Detroit Metro sometimes go over us. The skies were quiet and dark at night. We did see lights high up, I presume armed forces aircraft flying by and patrolling the area.