Anybody better than Mike Trout in MLB?

kane

EOG master
I posted this before, but imo when he retires he'll go down as a top 15-20 player of all time, maybe even top 10, he makes it looks so easy, everything he does on the field is effortless for him, just a special player

mr merlin

EOG Master
Francisco Lindor I would add as maybe better than Trout
Well, when his stats reflect it, we'll start taking that claim seriously.

The scary thing about trout is that he's getting better every year, his ops goes up, slugging % goes up , on base % goes up, strikeouts go down, walks go up.

Look at harper, he's terrible, good years, bad years(more bad than good lately), he might have peaked 3 years ago.

kane

EOG master
I remember a few years ago the debate was Trout or Harper, that debate no longer exists, by the time he retires the debate will be Trout or Mays

gravy

EOG Addicted
So if Trout is the greatest thing since sliced bread how come the Angels never make the playoffs ?

mr merlin

EOG Master
So if Trout is the greatest thing since sliced bread how come the Angels never make the playoffs ?
Because it's baseball, a team sport, 1 player, no matter how good, can only have a limited effect on the team.

Trout could hit a home run every at bat, make every play hit to him in the field, and they could lose every game.

How many world series did hank aaron make, or willie, or ernie banks?

gravy

EOG Addicted
Because it's baseball, a team sport, 1 player, no matter how good, can only have a limited effect on the team.

Trout could hit a home run every at bat, make every play hit to him in the field, and they could lose every game.

So basically the Angels overpaid Trout and dont care about other aspects of the team and they wont win nothing

Aaron went to 2 World Series winning 1 and Mays went 3 times and won 1 and Banks was with the Cubs so you know that story

kane

EOG master

To add to what Merlin said, baseball isn't like other sports where a great player can make his teammates better. In Basketball playing with a guy like LeBron or Kawhi will make you a better player, in football a great QB will make his teammates better, but baseball doesn't work that way, Mike Trout's greatness can't make the first baseman a better hitter, or any of their pitchers better pitchers, baseball is an individual game. In basketball a great player will take more shots than an average player, in football a great running back or great receiver will get more carries and more receptions than an average player, in hockey a great player will take more shots on goal than an average player, but baseball doesn't work that way, Mike Trout will get the dame number of at bats in a game as the ninth place hitter, and if the Angels are losing by a run in the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded and the game on the line, whoever's turn it is to bat gets the at bat. You can put a couple of great players on an average basketball team and that team will improve greatly, the same in any other sport, but it doesn't work that way in baseball, you can put Trout and Scherzer on the Marlins or Tigers and those teams would still be bad.

kane

EOG master
So basically the Angels overpaid Trout and dont care about other aspects of the team and they wont win nothing

Aaron went to 2 World Series winning 1 and Mays went 3 times and won 1 and Banks was with the Cubs so you know that story

Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr combined to play in 1 WS between them. It's not Trout's fault the Angels haven't been able to surround him with enough talent to compete for a playoff berth every year, now you could argue if he's overpaid or not, but that has nothing to do with him being the best player in the game, and by a wide margin. He'll go down as one of the greats to ever play the game, and the lack of team success doesn't diminish his accomplishments on the field whatsoever. How many times would he have made the playoffs if he played for the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers? You can't hold it against him because the organization he plays for hasn't been good enough.

gravy

EOG Addicted
Let me just say this I agree Trout is a great player but I would never pay him that type of money no way no how.The Indians are going to make a decision soon on what to do with Lindor as he is a FA in 2 years I think.The Indians owner already said he wont be paying him that crazy money he can get from a big market team.

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
I live in Atlanta and seldom see Trout play. Freddy Freeman is worth 10, 12 wins a year for the Braves. Best defensive first baseman in baseball, damn good base runner, good hitter, good leader, team guy.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

They didn't overpay for Trout - they overpaid for Pujols. The only contract worse is Miggy's in Detroit.

MrTop

EOG Master

mays was in the world series 4 x
aaron was in 2x

Last edited:

MrTop

EOG Master
I remember a few years ago the debate was Trout or Harper, that debate no longer exists, by the time he retires the debate will be Trout or Mays

trout is in 90th place with all players right now all time WAR. If he doubles what he has done it should put him in the top 10. Trout is 65th all time in WAR with position players right now.

Last edited:

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
By far away Trout is the best position player in baseball and has been for several years.

In 6 of his 7 full seasons he's either won the MVP or was rummer-up. That's just incredible.

He was MVP twice and came runner-up 4 other times. Jesus!

The first time in the history of the game a player was either first and/or 2nd six times in 7 seasons.

Valuist

EOG Master
Right now, is it clear cut that Trout is better than Yelich? I don't think its clear cut. Has anyone seen Yelich's numbers in the past year? It's like a Babe Ruth season.

MrTop

EOG Master
Right now, is it clear cut that Trout is better than Yelich? I don't think its clear cut. Has anyone seen Yelich's numbers in the past year? It's like a Babe Ruth season.

although yelch leads in some spots HR rbi and avg. Trout is a better fielder & Leads in WAR I think it is about even in 2018-19

mr merlin

EOG Master
Cmon, lots of players have a great season, stanton and betts come to mind. You have to do it more than once, more than twice, preferably more than that. Only then can you talk about how great they are.

Valuist

EOG Master
WAR isn't perfect, and one of the issues with WAR is that it rewards walks too much. It's proponents say a walk is as good as a hit. Really? How often does a runner score from 2nd on a walk? Nobody is saying Trout isn't great, or that he isn't the best position player today. I just don't think the gap between Trout and Yelich is giant now.

Valuist

EOG Master
Cmon, lots of players have a great season, stanton and betts come to mind. You have to do it more than once, more than twice, preferably more than that. Only then can you talk about how great they are.

Betts one sole great season? Betts is a top 5 player in MLB.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Mike Trout can hit 900 HRs, get 2,500 RBI, Steal 500 bases, Hit .400+ every year until he retire and, Win 10 MVP and 10 Gold Gloves

If he only plays in 3 Meaningful games for his entire career (the 3 ALDS games Angels played against the Royals - and got swept) he will NEVER be considered the GOAT! Sorry but it's true.

Kirby Puckett is in the HOF because of what he did in October. If Curt Schilling ever gets in - ditto (This is NOT the place to debate his HOF worthiness - I am just saying IF he gets in it is because of his post-season stats). Jack Morris is in the HOF because of what he did in October.

Mike Trout can be "Mr. April-September" but if he never plays another game in October he will never be called the GOAT. Nor should he be. And I do NOT feel sorry for him. He took the money and ran. 5-ish years from now if the Angels still haven't made the playoffs I do NOT wanna hear him bitching about it. He took the GUARANTEED "F.U." money instead of looking elsewhere and improving his chances of playing in October.

railbird

EOG Master
trout is not clutch either, nor does he hit other teams ace, tony gwynn would hit .400 vs maddux and any other ace, Trump constantly whifs 3 times in a game, something Billy Buckner never did once in entire career

railbird

EOG Master
Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr combined to play in 1 WS between them. It's not Trout's fault the Angels haven't been able to surround him with enough talent to compete for a playoff berth every year, now you could argue if he's overpaid or not, but that has nothing to do with him being the best player in the game, and by a wide margin. He'll go down as one of the greats to ever play the game, and the lack of team success doesn't diminish his accomplishments on the field whatsoever. How many times would he have made the playoffs if he played for the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers? You can't hold it against him because the organization he plays for hasn't been good enough.

Bonds was way better than Trout, people would walk bonds with bases loaded. Giants were not that great, Angels are not that bad.

railbird

EOG Master
When i would bet against 1995 Padres or 2002 Giants, i would be shitting bricks when bonds or gwynn were batting, i dont get that feeling when i bet against angels and trout, because I know Trout will probably whiff.

railbird

EOG Master
Trout gets most of his hit vs back end of rotation, and when game is already decided. not clutch like Keith Hernandez

railbird

EOG Master
baseball losing fans, the old ones are dying off, less young people like baseball than 30 years ago. attendance even worse than look, because many seats sold to non profits and corporations as tax write offs, attendance lying is at an all time high.

MrTop

EOG Master
trout is not clutch either, nor does he hit other teams ace, tony gwynn would hit .400 vs maddux and any other ace, Trump constantly whifs 3 times in a game, something Billy Buckner never did once in entire career

I agree buckner whiffed less than trump

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
He is hitting .264, but his OBP is .390 and he's on pace to score 130 runs. Plus, he's excellent defensively. Through the first 2 month's of the season, Trout was hitting .279, So what, his OBP was a staggering .460.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Trout is not getting better, 2015-16 Trout better than 2018-19

Fake News....his 2019 stats are off the charts....8th straight year of 20+ HRs and 60+walks....OPS is a staggering 1.118, way better than his MVP years....and doing all of this before his 28th birthday....

Valuist

EOG Master
Betts was great last year, but the year before that(and this year so far) he hit .264.

He's one of the best players in baseball, yes he is, but he's not quite in trouts league.

And in 2016, Betts was right there with Trout. Trout edged him in WAR, largely because of a sizeable difference in walks. Betts got no credit for striking out about half the times Trout did. But those 2016 are impressive: 122 runs, 113 RBIs, .318 BA, .363 OBP, .534 SP, 42 doubles, 31 home runs, and only 80 strikeouts in 672 plate appearances

We've never heard a PED rumor for Mookie.

mr merlin

EOG Master
And in 2016, Betts was right there with Trout. Trout edged him in WAR, largely because of a sizeable difference in walks. Betts got no credit for striking out about half the times Trout did. But those 2016 are impressive: 122 runs, 113 RBIs, .318 BA, .363 OBP, .534 SP, 42 doubles, 31 home runs, and only 80 strikeouts in 672 plate appearances

We've never heard a PED rumor for Mookie.
Exactly, he's one of the best players in baseball, but he's not consistent like trout, he just isn't.

The bottom line is no great player will have a subpar year in their prime, they might drop 20-30 pt's in average, but chances are it's because they had a huge power year. Having an average in the .260's is unacceptable(barring some extreme circumstances, such as coming off a serious injury).

Trouts low year was in 2014 where he hit .287(led the league in rbi's), other than that he's had 5 years +.300 1 year at .299.

Betts is up and down but he's had 1 year +.900 ops, Trout exceeds that every year.(his career ops is .998)