ANyone else good at sports gambling but suck at....

poker? I do pretty well gambling offshore, in 4 years I haven't had a losing year and average in the low 5 digits. I have a real job as well but it's nice to have the gambling $$$ as well. Anyways, the last couple of weeks I have started dabbling in poker. I am an absolutely attrocious player. It seems like everything I do right when I bet sports, I do wrong when I play poker. I am not good at reading situations and in general get impatient.:frustrate Anyways, who else sucks at poker for one reason or another? I just play poker for fun :+signs9-1 but while playing for fun I have noticed I am pretty bad.

Hitman26

EOG Veteran
I'm down in it all. Poker is probably my best game though because I've only lost about 20 dimes in my life playing that game.

" I do pretty well gambling offshore, in 4 years I haven't had a losing year and average in the low 5 digits."

That is my favorite line for posters

If I wanted to lie I would make it a much bigger figure. I would say I make 6 figures and don't have a real job. LOL, I do well but not that well. :+signs99- Are you good at poker or what?

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
You know you suck at poker. That is your self assessment not mine. I have a novel idea for you. Find a brick wall, stand approximentally one foot away and drive your head into the wall with as much force as possible.
Continue until falling down. :frustrate

Congradulations! You have completed the first phase of FROG's self help plan. By smashing your own head into the wall, you were not on a poker site losing, so that is a net plus. You will look into mirror and come to another self realization, that was not good for me. Equate the brick wall to poker. When the headaches and dizziness subside, think of a new course of action. Maybe refrain from playing? Gotta game you in?

Best Wishes...OF :+waving-5

No need to refrain from playing. I have lost a bit of $$$$ in the last couple of weeks but nothing big. I use my scalps and bonus's for poker playing and I play small. I just started though so I hope to get better :+signs8-1

Hitman26

EOG Veteran
Froggie:

Online poker is highly addictive. Tough habit to break.

What crystal meth is to drug addiction
Online poker is to gambling

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master
I loathe losing at anything. Losing is neither fun nor entertaining. The source of the money is irrelevant. You could get some more bonuses somewhere else and build on it. But you have chosen the piss it away for amusement approach. Get some ringside seats. Use the money instead of lose the money. I leave poker to poker players. I throw a FROG into a poker game it if as if it was a vat of sulphuric acid. He slowly dissolves to nonexistant. Sort of like a Fizzies for you old schoolers. Giving my FROGs an acid bath is not a good thing. Bernard took too many rounds off early.

OMNIVOROUS FROG said:
I loathe losing at anything. Losing is neither fun nor entertaining. The source of the money is irrelevant. You could get some more bonuses somewhere else and build on it. But you have chosen the piss it away for amusement approach. Get some ringside seats. Use the money instead of lose the money. I leave poker to poker players. I throw a FROG into a poker game it if as if it was a vat of sulphuric acid. He slowly dissolves to nonexistant. Sort of like a Fizzies for you old schoolers. Giving my FROGs an acid bath is not a good thing. Bernard took too many rounds off early.

You have to start somewhere i guess, most people don't expect to start winning from the beginning (although I did with boxing betting). I think the source of the $$$ is relevant, I am not hurting my regular sports bankroll by using small money playing poker tourney's. I agree with what you say about Bernard but still thought it was a draw.

on-line poker seems to be tough to make $$ on. I don't like the fact that you take the human aspect out of it...the tone of voice in a call or raise, expressions, you name it.
My only advice is to pick up a local game, or call me when you get a game going here.
Good Luck

BEANTOWNJIM

Banned
ITS OPENING NIGHT IN THE NIGERIAN BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION AND YOU DEADBEATS ARE TALKING ABOUT ONLINE POKER JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE F-CK IS THE MATTER WITH YOU MORONS.MAN THESE F-CKING OVERPAYED JANITORS ARE GOING TO GIVE ME CHEST PAINS I GOT THE OVER IN THE PHILLY GAME.

COME ON ALLAN IVERSON BEANTOWNJIM WANTS TO BURY UNCLE LENNY.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Play small tables and don't expect to get rich quick. Smaller tourneys are good too. It is just like sports betting for me. I play small and win. Try and play big and lose.

jwunderdog

EOG Addicted
valdosta,

When I first started playing poker I lost pretty consistantly.But after about a month of playing a lot I started to understand what other players at a table were trying to do and actually did ok for several months,even won a tourney. I quit playing after about 4 months to much time and probably wasn't playing at high enough tables to make it worth my time.

Just like in sports gambling but even more so in poker a lot of very poor players out there to be had if you become good at it.

KingofTheHill

EOG Enthusiast
Poker is a marathon not a sprint, learn the startegy, and practice is the only way to get good. At some point its all mental though. Ive made doctors wages for the last few years playing cards, but the first couple of months were VERY tough, because the swings are very tough to deal with, detatch yourself from the money, and read about the game. You wont get great unless you are willing to put in at least 15 hours a weak reading, studying and analyzing hands.