Anyone here at EOG wearing masks daily?

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I bought 4 masks yesterday for ten baht....just a little bit over 30 cents US.....just in case the government says we need them....

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
A lot of people were wearing them yesterday. One was very creative, she wore a bandana witha little hole cut out for her cigarette. I'm not sure its CDC complient.

mr merlin

EOG Master
i go out everyday, the stores are busy, I 've seen one on a old lady.and she had it pulled down on her chin.

kane

EOG master
I was at Whole Foods Sunday, and normally on a Sunday the store would be packed, but there weren't that many people, and quite a few of them were wearing gloves and or masks, I haven't, but whenever I'm out I try to be as careful as possible

lastyle7

EOG Veteran
The East (mostly China) has been wearing masks for years because of pollution. N95 mask is needed for the virus but many opt for the
paper mask which is of course useless.

I guess most fill better if they have something on regardless.

mr merlin

EOG Master
The East (mostly China) has been wearing masks for years because of pollution. N95 mask is needed for the virus but many opt for the
paper mask which is of course useless.

I guess most fill better if they have something on regardless.
it's not useless at all, if someone has the virus and coughs, or even breaths, the mask will keep most of it from being spewed all over.

Yes, the past two days & perhaps indefinitely into the future as a protection vs COVID-19, any mutations that may arise from it, the flu, other viruses, etc.

Yes, the past two days & perhaps indefinitely into the future as a protection vs COVID-19, any mutations that may arise from it, the flu, other viruses, etc.

I feel safer with it on. After all, it has been reported the virus can remain airborne for hours. So when someone sneezes or coughs it into the air, it may be flying around for hours, onto people's lips, into people's mouths, on or in people's noses, around or on people's eyeballs, etc.

Don't get a STI, wear a condom.

Don't make a mistake, cover your snake .

Don't get COVID-19, cover your face.

Doctors in NYC are saying more people should wear masks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/h...ace-masks.html

I see no research arguing against masks, and a lot for masks.
A mask will do more help than harm IMO. If someone wants to wear a mask they should do so.

http://www.therxforum.com/showthread.php?t=1156058&page=2

"How to make an effective face mask at home"

"...The researchers used regular cotton t-shirts to make no-sew face masks. First, they boiled the cotton for ten minutes in order to sterilize it. Then, they cut the cotton to size and formed a mask using one outer layer and eight inner layers that covered the nose and mouth. The mask could be tied around the wearer's head, to get a snug fit without elastic. Testing showed that this mask "offered substantial protection."

continued at:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...at-home-2020-3

I believe any reasonable barrier may help & is significantly better than nothing, from scarves to balaclavas, motorcycle helmets with face shield, Halloween masks, full face hockey masks, etc.

Almost everyone should be able to find some sort of a face shield such as those or something similar.

Found an old mangy N95 mask from a household project from a ways back, and wore that when I went out on Tuesday.

Between not going out frequently in the first place and using a UV light to try to disinfect it, will try to make it last for a while.

Thought I had more than that one N95 mask (probably also mangy) around here somewhere, but so far haven't found where I put it/them.

Have some other non-N95 masks from home projects, most also mangy, and can fashion something as suggested above. But prefer something as effective as possible.

No way in heck you can buy any new N95 masks, given the need for new product by healthcare providers.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
I have 2 N95 masks bought I don't know when ...the damn thing is uncomfortable, but will use it today. Didn't see this thread. sorry

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Mr Top, You're either a domesday person or made a wise financial investment. I just returned from the smaller local Walmart and would estimate about 33% of customers were wearing some type of mask, but i think the majority were one time paper use or something else. Hopefully these 2 N 95's will last me awhile... I have COPD although most people don't know it, so feel justified in wearing such.

Bushay

NHL Expert
The majority of places I go to people are wearing masks here in where I'm in Michigan. I'm in the suburbs about 6 miles from the 8-mile border. I'm at the Post Office daily mailing out Firesticks. Monday I forgot mine and everyone in there had one on. I've been back every day since then and had one on. Stopped at the gas station and only saw a few with them on. Whether it's helping or not, I feel safer with one on than off till this starts showing a turn of events. Not worth it to me. I'm 61 and considered in the high-risk group.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
A couple people wore them last time I was at Grocery store in Las Vegas and today only a handful of people didn't have them. No plastic dividers yet between Cashier(s) and Customer(s).

MrTop

EOG Master
Mr Top, You're either a domesday person or made a wise financial investment. I just returned from the smaller local Walmart and would estimate about 33% of customers were wearing some type of mask, but i think the majority were one time paper use or something else. Hopefully these 2 N 95's will last me awhile... I have COPD although most people don't know it, so feel justified in wearing such.

neither.... I just have 2 empty pallets. No masks... :( But I had TB before , I would say it is the same but there is no fever although it does scar the lungs forever. Once a person has TB they test positive forever but an Xray lets the doctor know if it is active

Most definitely a thing to do if you have any kind of risk factors, including age.

I attribute the official reluctance to say that we should use them to the fact that they currently just don't have enough to even conceivably meet the need. "So, nah, you don't really need them."

I believe that I am being appropriately responsible by doing everything that I reasonably can to keep from adding myself as a burden to the already overburdened health care system. I wish I could solve the entire problem, but I am addressing that over which I do have at least some degree of control.

So I'm masking up with the best masks that I have; and, yes, I'm 61, too. But I would do it now even if I were 25-35, and had the masks. Young folks also are getting this, even if not to the same percentages; and some are dying from it, too. The risk/reward from not wearing a mask when out just doesn't seem to be there, on something that at least is perceived to be serious enough that they've shut down multiple countries because of it.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
So sorry, Mr Top... I misunderstood what you were responding to. I still don't have the quote feature figured out. All the best!