Are u Smarter than a 5th Grader?

Bucsfan67

EOG Master
Premieres after American Idol tonight...

Dont know why, but i get the feeling i am gonna like that show...

Foxworthy hosting, is enough for me to watch, cuz that guy is a riot...but seeing some of these people make an ass out of themselves, missing questions out of a 5th grade textbook should be real funny..

Hope its good...

Bucsfan67

EOG Master
Re: Are u Smarter than a 5th Grader?

damn, UCLA graduate, with a 3.0 misses the first question for 2nd graders...LMFAO, the girl from 5th grade saved him, and he's still alive.....now on the 2nd question, he is already using his other help..

The Devil

EOG Master

yes...i just play dumb on eog! :)

DAMN YOU ARE GOOD KATIE, YOU ARE DOING ONE:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool :dancefool :dancefool :dancefool HECK OF A JOB PULLING OFF THAT ACT.....................

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

this dude has missed all 3 questions so far, and used all 3 of his helps, just to get to 5,000...

how proud UCLA must be....:+textinb3

To answer your question,

I am smart enough to watch Bob Wooodruff on ABC at 10 PM tonight...

I watched it, questions pretty tough.

One was first president to be impeached:

A: Andrew Jackson

I got to thinking, then why is he on the $20 bill ?

Did they get this wrong ?

<CENTER> [SIZE=+1]Let's Get This Impeachment Story Correct[/SIZE]
By: Doug Fiedor -- December 28, 1998
</CENTER>
Many of us know better but make the mistake anyway. In the last week, I'll bet I've heard at least five talking heads and three or four newsmakers make the very same mistake. I even did it once in wrongly agreeing with someone -- and I really should know better.
There are two Andrews from Tennessee, and they are being confused lately. Andrew the First is the very same guy pictured on our twenty dollar bill. Born in 1767, Andrew Jackson grew up around the border of North and South Carolina.
As a 13 year old boy in 1775, Andrew Jackson became involved with the American Revolution as an orderly and messenger. Shortly thereafter, he also took part in the Battle of Hanging Rock against the British and in a few other small skirmishes against British sympathizers.
By 1787, Andrew Jackson was a lawyer in McLeanville, North Carolina. Shortly thereafter, he moved his office to Nashville, Tennessee where he became interested in politics. In 1796, Jackson was elected into the House of Representatives, representing Tennessee. However, he only stayed in the House about a year before moving to the Senate. In 1798, Jackson retired from the Senate and returned to private life, mixed with a bit of military duty.
In 1815, Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson became commander of the South District Army. By 1824, Jackson was a presidential candidate, losing that bid in the House to John Quincy Adams.
However, Jackson, again ran for the presidency in 1828 and won. He also won again easily 1832. Popular to the end, the last day of Jackson's presidency was said to be as much a personal triumph as his first. Thousands came, not to see the new president but to bid good-bye to their beloved hero, Old Hickory.
Andrew the Second came a few years later.
Andrew Johnson was born in Raleigh, North Carolina in 1808. Johnson never attended school, rather he apprenticed as a tailor when he was a young man. In 1826, Johnson moved to Tennessee and established a tailor shop that soon also became the local meeting place for the area gentlemen.
Soon thereafter, Johnson met Eliza McCardle, and the two were married. Mrs. Johnson used her education to improve Andrew's reading, writing and arithmetic skills. Johnson then honed his debating skills by joining a debate club at the local college. For the next few years, Johnson moved his way up the political ladder in a succession of elections. Johnson served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1843 to 1853 and was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1857.
In the 1864 election, President Lincoln picked Johnson as Vice President. Johnson took the oath of office in March 1865. The following month President Lincoln went to Ford's Theater in Washington and was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth. Andrew Johnson then became President on April 15, 1865.
Andrew Johnson tended to favor Lincoln's views on a benevolent period of reconciliation with the South after the Civil War. However, many in Johnson's inherited cabinet favored a policy of harsh retribution for the Southern States. Secretary of War Edwin Stanton was a member of that radical faction and worked against Johnson's policies. Therefore, Johnson dismissed Stanton. Stanton then claimed that Johnson acted in violation of the Tenure of Office Act enacted the previous year. This act stated the president may not dismiss certain publicly elected officers without the consent of the Senate.
During the impeachment proceedings, the House brought eleven charges against Johnson, primarily dealing with violations of the Tenure of Office Act. Only three of these charges were voted on in the Senate trial, and these failed by one vote each of reaching the two-thirds majority necessary to remove Johnson from office. Congress therefore filed a censure resolution, which was subsequently removed by the next Congress. Andrew Johnson completed the remainder of Abraham Lincoln's term of office but failed to receive his party's nomination for office in 1869.
Andrew Jackson, Old Hickory, the General, the face on our $20 bill, was not impeached. Ever. Rather, he was elected to office as President of the United States twice and served with honor.
It was Andrew Johnson, who was never elected to office as President of the United States, who was impeached by the House but not convicted in the Senate. It must also be noted, however, that Andrew Johnson was impeached strictly for political reasons. Andrew Johnson served with honor and distinction.
William Jefferson Clinton is the first elected President to ever be impeached by the House of Representatives. But, unlike Andrew Johnson, Bill Clinton was impeached because of personal illegal acts and corruption in office. In other words, Bill Clinton does not serve with honor and distinction.
As there is a difference between the Andrews, so too is there a great difference between the reason for impeachment. Let's try and keep those differences straight.

<HR>
<CENTER>From the "A View from the Foothills of Appalachia" series All of Doug Fiedor's works can be found at
Heads Up

</CENTER>

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

They told those kids to laugh at everything Foxworthy said. It was so annoying.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Thinking about this as a serious question, obviously book smarts is much different than street smarts, which comes as we grow older. Some faster than others just as in books. With that said, my 13 year old son sits around here and when it comes to many things which we discuss, he can relate and often he has more insight than me. Just like in size, thick n tall children are growing wiser, faster I reckon.

They said Andrew Johnson.

I thought they said Jackson.

How many people would get this answer unless they were a schoolkid that recently learned it ?

I doubt 5% of Adults over 30 would know this.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Doug,

I think thats a famous question.

Only 2 presidents were impeached.

I still say its a tough question that very few would answer correctly.

Seems he was acquitted, so was he really impeached ?

In March 1867, the Radicals effected their own plan of Reconstruction, again placing southern states under military rule. They passed laws placing restrictions upon the President. When Johnson allegedly violated one of these, the Tenure of Office Act, by dismissing Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, the House voted eleven articles of impeachment against him. He was tried by the Senate in the spring of 1868 and acquitted by one vote.
In 1875, Tennessee returned Johnson to the Senate. He died a few months later.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

Just a reminder its back on tonight, after Idol...

this show is a riot to watch......

also will show u just how "stupid" you are...:(

janus

EOG Dedicated

Thinking about this as a serious question, obviously book smarts is much different than street smarts, which comes as we grow older. Some faster than others just as in books. With that said, my 13 year old son sits around here and when it comes to many things which we discuss, he can relate and often he has more insight than me. Just like in size, thick n tall children are growing wiser, faster I reckon.

its a matter of general vs. specialized knowledge... i doubt stephen hawking could have answered a question about an obscure president's impeachment any better than a 5th grader because it doesnt matter to him or 99.98% of anyone else. of all the intellectual capabilities available to man, remembering obscure & largely irrelevant facts is pretty low on the list of desirable talents.

so much for the schwab & jeopardy champs & rainmen.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

its a matter of general vs. specialized knowledge... i doubt stephen hawking could have answered a question about an obscure president's impeachment any better than a 5th grader because it doesnt matter to him or 99.98% of anyone else. of all the intellectual capabilities available to man, remembering obscure & largely irrelevant facts is pretty low on the list of desirable talents.

so much for the schwab & jeopardy champs & rainmen.

yeah, yeah , yeah, but its still fun to watch....:+textinb3

dirty

EOG Master

I don't think it is useless Information... Our Kids need to know the History of this Country and the Presidency

dirty

EOG Master

I believe so yes... But that is all subjective to each individual

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Just started watching this tonight, and to tell you the truth I think it may be bogus.

They don't reveal what are "supposed" to be these kids' answers AHEAD OF TIME to viewers.

How do we know what their true answer is when these kids immediately lock their answer in, or if they even give an answer at all???

I think it's just something catchy that people may like since they make these kids "appear" to look so smart, even though we don't even know if they are even truly participating other than acting.....

I don't think I've ever seen the kid have the wrong answer.

How are the kids picked ?

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"

Doug if you were just watching it, where the guy have his answer of 88 cups in 5.5 gallons, and the young girl said 89, as if she was making is suspenseful, it pretty much sealed my initial thoughts above.

The only thing I'm curious about now is if the kid beside the contestant each time is coming up with this stuff on their own, or if they're being fed something to say on their screen or via microphone........

janus

EOG Dedicated

I believe so yes... But that is all subjective to each individual

you indicated the need for our youth to know "the History of this Country and the Presidency"... if you could provide an example of how it has positively impacted your life, we might benefit from your experience and thus all be future supporters of this line of education rather than skeptical observers of an educational system gone awry. thanks.

Doug if you were just watching it, where the guy have his answer of 88 cups in 5.5 gallons, and the young girl said 89, as if she was making is suspenseful, it pretty much sealed my initial thoughts above.

The only thing I'm curious about now is if the kid beside the contestant each time is coming up with this stuff on their own, or if they're being fed something to say on their screen or via microphone........

I saw that. That was easy for me, since I know a cup = 8oz, and a gallon is 1280z.

That question about geologic age.... no way I knew it. I doubt 5% of adults know it.

It's implied the answer is by the kid alone.

dirty

EOG Master

you indicated the need for our youth to know "the History of this Country and the Presidency"... if you could provide an example of how it has positively impacted your life, we might benefit from your experience and thus all be future supporters of this line of education rather than skeptical observers of an educational system gone awry. thanks.

I believe anytime you can learn anything and develop the mind it has a Impact on your life in a positive way no matter what it is or who you are. Knowledge is King in leading a successful Life and learning as much as you can on as many different things can only enhance how you View Things and gives you an advantage of people who are ignorant of certain situations because they have chosen no to learn about something or Just have not had the opportunity. Everything I do Daily is a Reflection of what I have learned in my 34, almost 35, years on earth. Learning and a Bright Mind is the Key to Life, period, so you can make informed Decisions that affect you Daily

History is one thing, like what led to the Civil War, that matters.

Stuff like state capitals is useless. Who cares what the capital of New Hampshire is ?

That's just remembering useless stuff, to forget later.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

I dont think a national network would want to rig a game, and the answers using 5th graders, and expect them to keep it secret...

the reason these kids get these right, is becuase it is stuff they are studying right now or recently....

we dont remember this crap...

lol

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

Some People do Bucs

i mean consistantly remember it all...

i get about half of the questions, and compared to the contestants, thats pretty good.....but overall, we wont remember as much as the kids do..

This show is a lot harder than say "Who wants to be a millionaire" where you got 4 answers to choose from ( ?). That show was easy in the early rounds.

This one has people using their help early.

Only 50% Bucs ? :LMAO

I think the kids are not average random kids, they are probably top students.

janus

EOG Dedicated

I believe anytime you can learn anything and develop the mind it has a Impact on your life in a positive way no matter what it is or who you are. Knowledge is King in leading a successful Life and learning as much as you can on as many different things can only enhance how you View Things and gives you an advantage of people who are ignorant of certain situations because they have chosen no to learn about something or Just have not had the opportunity. Everything I do Daily is a Reflection of what I have learned in my 34, almost 35, years on earth. Learning and a Bright Mind is the Key to Life, period, so you can make informed Decisions that affect you Daily

so... "the History of this Country and the Presidency"... if you could describe those positive impacts, particularly relative to the folks otherwise ignorant of historical & presidential facts? muchos gracias.

dirty

EOG Master

so... "the History of this Country and the Presidency"... if you could describe those positive impacts, particularly relative to the folks otherwise ignorant of historical & presidential facts? muchos gracias.

If you need explaining how as much education as you can get can impact your life, then I don't know what else to say...

i mean consistantly remember it all...

i get about half of the questions, and compared to the contestants, thats pretty good.....but overall, we wont remember as much as the kids do..

Maybe you can get over 50% Bucs ?

I knew all 7 answers easily for the 1st contestant. That guys a fool, proposing,don't do it man !

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

ive done ok tonight...

I knew the Earth from the sun question, the Elephant, the carbon dioxide, i actually knew the area question, which surprised me, and i knew the alaska question....