Are you wearing a mask?

MrTop

EOG Master
Doctors have said suits on your body are a waste and probably increase your risk slightly because when you take them off you have a slight chance of getting the virus into a receptor, but your skin isn't a receptor. The chances of getting it from breathing in the virus is pretty low too when passing through, only chance of it is to be within 6 feet and the person is speaking or doing something to project the virus out such as coughing or sneezing.

Its good people are concerned, but frankly its not as easy or certain to be transmitted as some are making it out to be. Think about it, infected people have been into stores with over 100 customers and workers, yet didn't transmit it that way. If it is was such a certainty at least half those in the store should have gotten it. The fact that one infected is transmitting to 2-3 people, often including someone they live with, shows the community transmission part is vastly overrated. Wearing a mask is fine, but keep in mind the reason for masks isn't as much to keep you from getting it as it is to keep an infected person from spreading it.

the state of Utah & maryland have the military bio / lab storage ... you don't see them wearing just masks... when anthrax hit during 9/11 you see them in suits... was in the military and taking the bio class your best bet is a suit. Masks only cover your nose and mouth. You still have your eyes and rest of the body & immune system.. You even see putin wearing a suit when there could be a risk. ..I think you are passing bad info

the state of Utah & maryland have the military bio / lab storage ... you don't see them wearing just masks... when anthrax hit during 9/11 you see them in suits... was in the military and taking the bio class your best bet is a suit. Masks only cover your nose and mouth. You still have your eyes and rest of the body & immune system.. You even see putin wearing a suit when there could be a risk. ..I think you are passing bad info

Come on if the risk was that there was anthrax or smallpox on surfaces everywhere you wouldn't be donning a suit, you just wouldn't go out. The math model doesn't work my friend, good epidemiologists are talking about how many people you encounter in public right now and what your chances are of getting the virus if you happen across someone who does have it. If they breathe normally, its almost no chance unless you are within 2 feet of them. If they talk at a normal tone, its about 6 feet of risk, hence the social distance. If they sneeze or cough, it could be 20 feet, but its not 20 feet of straight line risk, its wherever their discharge ends up so you could be 3 feet and if its not aimed right at you then you won't get it. Further if you are within these unsafe zones and the virus "hits" you, it still does no harm to you if it stays on your skin. Its only if it happens to get into your nose, mouth or eyes. So its about 20% chance you get it if you are near someone who is transmitting it and they speak, sneeze or cough. If they are wearing a mask, its cut by 4-5 times, so maybe 5% chance. If you are wearing a mask, cut it by 50%, so 2.5% chance of catching it assuming you come across someone who has it and either you don't keep social distance when they talk or you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong spot should they sneeze or cough. Add at most 2% of the population is currently transmitting it at a given time and that means if you wear a mask you need to have "contact" with 50 people for that 2.5% chance of it happening. If you stay home and minimize the people you come close to its almost zero percent chance you will get it and you don't need a suit to protect you.

Why not try thinking in terms of odds of things instead of worrying about the thousands to one shot as if its a certainty?

Jb777

EOG Dedicated
Ordered one today. Honestly for me I don't think it's necessary but next time I go out to the grocery store I don't wanna be the only one not wearing one. Don't wanna be "that guy."

MrTop

EOG Master
Come on if the risk was that there was anthrax or smallpox on surfaces everywhere you wouldn't be donning a suit, you just wouldn't go out. The math model doesn't work my friend, good epidemiologists are talking about how many people you encounter in public right now and what your chances are of getting the virus if you happen across someone who does have it. If they breathe normally, its almost no chance unless you are within 2 feet of them. If they talk at a normal tone, its about 6 feet of risk, hence the social distance. If they sneeze or cough, it could be 20 feet, but its not 20 feet of straight line risk, its wherever their discharge ends up so you could be 3 feet and if its not aimed right at you then you won't get it. Further if you are within these unsafe zones and the virus "hits" you, it still does no harm to you if it stays on your skin. Its only if it happens to get into your nose, mouth or eyes. So its about 20% chance you get it if you are near someone who is transmitting it and they speak, sneeze or cough. If they are wearing a mask, its cut by 4-5 times, so maybe 5% chance. If you are wearing a mask, cut it by 50%, so 2.5% chance of catching it assuming you come across someone who has it and either you don't keep social distance when they talk or you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong spot should they sneeze or cough. Add at most 2% of the population is currently transmitting it at a given time and that means if you wear a mask you need to have "contact" with 50 people for that 2.5% chance of it happening. If you stay home and minimize the people you come close to its almost zero percent chance you will get it and you don't need a suit to protect you.

Why not try thinking in terms of odds of things instead of worrying about the thousands to one shot as if its a certainty?

i did not say you needed anything...i wear nothing. I think it is worthless if you just wear a mask too much other data. If you are around it all the time like hospitals wear a suit. All i was doing was comparing the mask vs the suit... you came in 1/2 way thru the convo.. Plus you don't owe me a 50% burger...you owe me a 100% burger ;)

Last edited:

mr merlin

EOG Master
the only way to stop it is not leave the house like bill gates said. The problem is there are people out there have very important jobs
Bill gates is a fool. the pandemic will run it's course because all pandemics run their course. Will masks help - yea, I suppose a little, doesn't mean everyone should wear them.

At least in my state, 70% of jobs are essential - so other than maybe 20% working from home the rest are out there, along with everyone else who's bored and driving around for shit.

MrTop

EOG Master
Bill gates is a fool. the pandemic will run it's course because all pandemics run their course. Will masks help - yea, I suppose a little, doesn't mean everyone should wear them.

At least in my state, 70% of jobs are essential - so other than maybe 20% working from home the rest are out there, along with everyone else who's bored and driving around for shit.

you would rather not listen to him and send out 2 trillion to people and cost businesses trillions ....ok nuff said..LOL

and you are a republican ?

railbird

EOG Master

plandemic, his wife is and dad are both mass mureders with planned parenthodd. #eugensts

mr merlin

EOG Master
you would rather not listen to him and send out 2 trillion to people and cost businesses trillions ....ok nuff said..LOL

and you are a republican ?
I would rather have people keep getting infected at low to moderate levels, that will bring this to an end in a reasonable fashion with no undue strain on the health care or economic system. The goal is to get through this, hiding in houses does not achieve that.

It was never neccessary to shut down the economy, if you want to take drastic measures, you quarantine the sick and old, not the young, healthy working people that make america run.

MrTop

EOG Master
I would rather have people keep getting infected at low to moderate levels, that will bring this to an end in a reasonable fashion with no undue strain on the health care or economic system. The goal is to get through this, hiding in houses does not achieve that.

It was never neccessary to shut down the economy, if you want to take drastic measures, you quarantine the sick and old, not the young, healthy working people that make america run.

agree as long as the young don't get sick.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
I have a couple of N95 masks ..Not comfortable to wear also cause glasses to fog up.. The mall I use for walking has been shut down, so it will be very limited use.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
I get out every day, a long walk helps keep me sane.

I don't wear the mask, maybe in the grocery store I should but out on solitary walks I don't think it's necessary.

If I had to guess I'd say 60% of the customers in Publix today had a mask on.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
In Virginia it's against the law for anyone age 16 and over to wear a mask in public. (Up to $2500 fine). Exception, if the Governor declares a health emergency. When he takes it off the law goes back into effect.. I just googled the info.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Mandatory here in Thailand to wear masks in all grocery stores and in anything that is open to the public...seems to work here...

MrTop

EOG Master
whole floor of nurses got the flu in NYC .......all of them wore the masks,gloves shield ...blah blah blah

sad

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No mask for me.

But I would wear one of Dr. Birx's scarfs, provided she affixed it to my nose and mouth.

1586308484490.png

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Birx turned 64 last Saturday.

What can I say?

Bring back the games.

I miss live sporting events.