As another baseball regular season comes to a close

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
What teams that you wagered on were considered allies to your bankroll? What teams cost you the most money? Betting for an against.

Most success: Yankees, Indians, Dodgers, Twins, Cubs, Nationals, and opposing Tigers.

Least: Pirates, Brewers, Cardinals, Blue Jays, Athletics, Astros, and Rockies.Opposing Ray's and Marlins as well.

Curious to see co cappers thoughts. For me, those teams who scored when it counted as large favorites covered run lines and pitched gems. Others seemed like surefire wins only failed on paper due to underperforming hitting despite solid pitching

I will say that with a week and a half left my overall units won have been a lot higher than usual. I slow down with volume in late August or when rosters expand to 40. However could really never get it going with first half plays, which were just 9-14.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmythegreek

Most success on a team were the Astros....
If you took them mostly at a high price, I commend you for laying super juice most of the time. We all remember what especially happened against Detroit when Verlander went. And when it came to the RL the big at times was better than 2-1 no matter who started. Offense numerously let me down.

jimmythegreek

For me, it was more winning on pitchers Fried, Soroka, Paddock, Nova. Giolito

Losses were Syndegaard, Berrios, Hamels,
Interesting angle. Soroka was one of my most profitable hurlers as well. Giolito was efficient for me early but the pale hose after being right near .500 at the break just couldn't stay competitive, and Giolito lost his dominance as a result. Also didn't receive much run support with Degrom, and Syndegaard simply suffered from multiple subpar outings.

Others for me were Nola, inefficient and shoddy run support. Paxton a bad first inning pitcher but had a solid second half. Anytime Cc pitched went over, Kershaw mostly under but success with him on run lines and under. Lester overs and Wrigley Field winds blowing out, overs on Boston and Baltimore. Lots of unders in Petco and Oracle although that has turned at Petco since fences came in.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
What teams that you wagered on were considered allies to your bankroll?

I'm convinced you bet on pitching first and teams second.
And stay away from young pitchers who can let you down and give away games early.

You could have made money fading the Tigers and Orioles, but for me baseball is foremost about pitching.
Pitching is why Houston will win the World Series. They're loaded!

jimmythegreek

I'm convinced you bet on pitching first and teams second.
And stay away from young pitchers who can let you down and give away games early.

You could have made money fading the Tigers and Orioles, but for me baseball is foremost about pitching.
Pitching is why Houston will win the World Series. They're loaded!
All depends on the matchup and not just limited to pitchers. I don't necessarily stay away from young pitchers but it's obvious that if they're rooks or farm hands one could not know what to expect when they make their season debuts.

Road dogs killed me, my worst bases season in a long time. Had a nice run in August and so far in September to get to slightly positive, but that mid-season slog where home teams would go 12-3 seemingly night after night were tough. Thankfully I have learned to take a few days off when nothing seems to work. It kept me from digging too deep a hole and allowed me to come back when things did start to work.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Everybody fed up with bullpens and prob betting 1hs more than ever...though you don't remember the WINS with opposing team bullpen blowup, those are just another win lol

Valuist

EOG Master
Favorite starting pitchers this year: Fiers, Giolito, Bieber, Flaherty and Marco Gonzales.
Pitchers that cost me: Berrios, Castillo, DeGrom and Lester

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Everybody fed up with bullpens and prob betting 1hs more than ever...though you don't remember the WINS with opposing team bullpen blowup, those are just another win lol
I do play a lot of 5 inning lines to lessen the BP effect. Maybe I’ll play a total revolving around a pitcher, like Lester overs.

MrTop

EOG Master
cubs banged up. with no rizzo , outside shot to be back the last game of series. Russell getting close to come back. Cubs need 3 of 4 from Stl louie

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
cubs banged up. with no rizzo , outside shot to be back the last game of series. Russell getting close to come back. Cubs need 3 of 4 from Stl louie
They need to beat them 5 out of 7 in the next 10 days. Mil can still steal the division, but last night’s loss hurt.

MrTop

EOG Master
Cubs probably not taking 5 of 7.. Milw has harder time. They don't play the cards. Milw not winning division. playoffs maybe. Cubs or Milw get edged out. Unless an epic disaster by the cards.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Cubs probably not taking 5 of 7.. Milw has harder time. They don't play the cards. Milw not winning division. playoffs maybe. Cubs or Milw get edged out. Unless an epic disaster by the cards.
They just passed the cubs, gained 4 games in 10 days. The epic disaster is any game Kimbrel pitches these days. At least Boros got him paid.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Yanks in trouble without German. Though he has gotten touched up some second half, giving up lot more extra base hits/dingers

Paying top dollar for a closer is such wasted money. Bullpens go from great to bad in a year and often there isn't that much turnover. But no doubt for bettors bullpens are the greatest cause of stress known to mankind.

lap18

EOG Dedicated
Cards with only 4 hits drive the stake through the CUBs heart today. Cubs are toast.
Maddon coaching his last few games in Wrigley I think.....he will be shown the door this offseason.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Cards with only 4 hits drive the stake through the CUBs heart today. Cubs are toast.
Maddon coaching his last few games in Wrigley I think.....he will be shown the door this offseason.
His contract is up after the season, so technically not a firing.

Cubs were 1/9 RISP today in a 1-run game. Mil up 3-0 after the 1st.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Without Yelich... go figure.
Easy to pull together for 2-3 weeks. They would be screwed if he missed half of a season.
No matter what happens to Mil, pretty impressive season for a $125 mil payroll. The cubs spent over $100 mil more than Mil.

jimmythegreek

Amazing how what original timing looked so unfortunate could pay off in the most peculiar of ways. Still 9 games or do left, but nonetheless as FW mentioned Milwaukee has passed Chicago and has stuck it out to the end sans their best. An understatement rallying around their franchise player.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Amazing how what original timing looked so unfortunate could pay off in the most peculiar of ways. Still 9 games or do left, but nonetheless as FW mentioned Milwaukee has passed Chicago and has stuck it out to the end sans their best. An understatement rallying around their franchise player.
Mousaskis and Braun have been unreal.