Astros get spanked and punched

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
A one year suspension for manager AJ Hinch and General Manager Jeff Luhnow plus 5 MILLION DOLLARS in fines and loss of first and second round draft picks in 2020 and 2021.

Last edited:

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
This punishment is NOTHING. Draft picks in MLB, big deal. The chances of these guys becoming anything worthwhile is very low.

Suspension for a year? Which organization wouldn't do this for a WS title. Should be a 5 yr ban....MINIMUM. Lifetime is along the lines of betting on the game as they are making a bigger impact to the integrity to the game.

$5M fine? Should be $50,000,000. $5M was made from concessions sales of hot dogs during the playoffs. That is like fining a normal person $5.

Baseball missed a chance to make a statement. If this is the punishment....I'm cheating like a muthrfukr this coming season.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
They both just got fired.
Yet the owner gets off with a golf slap on the wrist. firing these two was a good move. problem is that the owner benefits from their cheating as if he NEVER got word about how this was happening. how much did the astros franchise value increase from this post season success? a few hundred million?

I think a $250M fine would put the owner in line a bit more than a $5m fine.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
Put me in the group that thinks the punishment wasn't severe enough, there really isn't an amount you can fine a billionaire and have it matter, what MLB should have done is take away their top two draft picks for at least the next 5-7 years, that's where it would hurt them the most. If you ask the Yankees or Dodgers would they accept the punishment that the Astros got in exchange for winning a WS, I think the answer would be yes

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Put me in the group that thinks the punishment wasn't severe enough, there really isn't an amount you can fine a billionaire and have it matter, what MLB should have done is take away their top two draft picks for at least the next 5-7 years, that's where it would hurt them the most. If you ask the Yankees or Dodgers would they accept the punishment that the Astros got in exchange for winning a WS, I think the answer would be yes
How about a postseason ban for 5-10 years. No chance for any postseason no matter if they go 162-0. Figure out what the ad revenue they made during this postseason run and 10x as part of the fine.

the post season ban might not hurt right away but when they have to resign their studs how many are going to play with no chance of a ring. the team could return to the 60 win team in no time as players leave and free agents cross houston off their destination list.

This is far more severe than anything that pete rose did.

kane

EOG master
How about a postseason ban for 5-10 years. No chance for any postseason no matter if they go 162-0. Figure out what the ad revenue they made during this postseason run and 10x as part of the fine.

the post season ban might not hurt right away but when they have to resign their studs how many are going to play with no chance of a ring. the team could return to the 60 win team in no time as players leave and free agents cross houston off their destination list.

You know I never thought about a postseason ban, but I like the idea, 5-10 years seems a bit severe, but MLB should have given them a big enough punishment that no other team would ever think of doing what they did. Colleges get postseason bans when they have recruiting violations, football teams can't go to bowls, basketball teams can't play in postseason tournaments, why not the same for pro teams that get caught cheating.

MrTop

EOG Master
The mets have a wall street owner now... you have not seen cheating until you are in their card game.

kane

EOG master
Cora's Toast.

Took his World Series Championship SIGN STEALING TALENTS From Houston To Beantown, and got the same results.

Both RING Years.

You're a Sox fan, if stealing signs helped them win the WS. and they end up getting the same penalties as MLB levied on the Astros, would you think it was worth it?

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
Roger Goodell didn't have the balls to penalize the Patsies this severely. Bellicheat stole the '05 Super Bowl from my superior Eagles.

railbird

EOG Master
baseball is a game about who can cheat the most, always has been. Greg Maddux was given a 7 foot wide strike zone, every domincan last 50 yrs lie about age or on juice. No shortstop touched 2nd base on a double play from 1970-2000, sign stealing is taught adolescence so no surprise they do it wih video. MLB cheats the game with juicing ball, look other way on sosa and mcgiwre. The game always has been and always will be a big scam.

boston massacre

EOG Master
You're a Sox fan, if stealing signs helped them win the WS. and they end up getting the same penalties as MLB levied on the Astros, would you think it was worth it?

It's Definitely a BIG ASTERIK Championship. Who wants to Hang that Banner ? This is BIG TIME CHEATING. Pete Rose didn't anything close to this.

Nice to be in the Batters Box, and Know what PITCH is coming.

Then the Loss of 2 1st Rounders and 2 Second Rounders.

No One cares about Owners paying Fines.

As a Fan, who's Proud of that Team ?

Definitely NOT WORTH IT.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

They report that the system was not useful during the postseason due to MLB personnel monitoring the replay room and due to other teams being wary enough of sign-stealing that they constantly changed signs.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
baseball is a game about who can cheat the most, always has been. Greg Maddux was given a 7 foot wide strike zone, every domincan last 50 yrs lie about age or on juice. No shortstop touched 2nd base on a double play from 1970-2000, sign stealing is taught adolescence so no surprise they do it wih video. MLB cheats the game with juicing ball, look other way on sosa and mcgiwre. The game always has been and always will be a big scam.[/

Baseball is America’s past time....Billy Martin always said if you are not cheating, you aren’t trying....

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I was saying the same thin as far as a postseason ban

And IF Alex Cora was doing the same thing in 2018 after being a part of it in 2017 he might get suspended TWO years

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Valuist

EOG Master
Last year at this time it was great to be Alex Cora. B2B WS Titles including the most recent one as a manager

NOW.......................Sucks to be Cora. He will get more than one-year. I said 2 but it might be more than that. I don't see how he keeps his job knowing this

I would say it doesn't suck to be Cora. He CHOSE this path. Whatever punishment he gets likely isn't strong enough.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
Upon reflection so very Many things that have been said and done get revisited and massively re-evaluated.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I would say it doesn't suck to be Cora. He CHOSE this path. Whatever punishment he gets likely isn't strong enough.

100% agree and as a Dodgers' fan it infuriates me even more.

Sucks to be Cora....wrong phrasing on my part as you point out.

Glad I am not Cora...............is probably the better way of phrasing it. Something we would not have said at this time last year

kane

EOG master
Manfred wanted to send a Message.

I Think it Got Through.

he didn't send a strict enough message, a postseason ban for a few years would have sent a message, the Astros got a slap on the wrist, any team in baseball would gladly accept the punishment they got in return for winning a WS

MrTop

EOG Master
If this happened during a regular season people would want their money back at the books. MLB waits till after the season is done. Astros are the lone wolf. Meanwhile other teams taking out their monitors.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
They just agreed to "part ways". You can't make this stuff up.
this has to be with a buyout of some type. if not and I was cora i would have forced boston to fire me as i'm sure there is a certain percent he gets.

if you think he learned this "spy" technique in houston and didn't bring this technique to boston you're a fucking moron.

also houston astros under 97 wins this coming season is the nuts right. I mean they aren't going to be 39 games above .500 at home this season plus LAA and Oak are going to be better.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
what punishment is cora going to receive?

he was paid $800k before the red sox won the series and received a big one year extention. cant find any disclosed numbers on it but whatever it was if he gets a "ban" for 2 years he relaxes.

then after he will get a job as a bench coach somewhere.

it's not like a penalty is going to "follow him" as in a team that adds him to the coaching staff will have to pay a fine to add him.