ATP - Brit Andy Murray Reaches Top 100

<CENTER> Murray - milestone passed (Getty Images). </CENTER>
MURRAY CRACKS TOP 100

Federer into last eight
Click here for all the latest tennis results
Andy Murray reached the quarter-finals of the Thailand Open on Thursday to become only the fourth British male in the last decade to break into the world's top 100.

Murray, 18, defeated fifth seed Robin Soderling in straight sets to reach the last eight in Bangkok.

The Scot was made to work hard for victory to reach his latest rankings milestone, a British feat matched only by Tim Henman, Greg Rusedski and Martin Lee in the last 10 years.

Murray took a 3-1 lead in the opening set, but was broken back to 3-3. He then broke the Swede again, but failed to serve out the set and instead had to go to a tie-break, which he stormed through to win 7-3.

The second set progressed just as tightly, neither player able to pull away for the first six games. The pair traded breaks as first Soderling went 4-3 ahead before Murray broke back to level 4-4.

This set things up for the second tie-break of the day, and again Murray dominated to win 7-5.

Murray had earlier beaten George Bastl, also in straight sets, in the first round, and will now be looking towards his quarter-final clash against third seed Robby Ginepri, who defeated Nicolas Thomann 6-3 7-6.

This marks a huge milestone in the runaway career of Murray, who only broke onto the ATP circuit in April of this year.

He was then ranked 397th in the world, but since then he has won two Challenger titles, as well as enjoying decent runs at Wimbledon and the US Open to lift him into the world's elite.

coconutman said:
Glaken thinks he's cute =)

Homey don't play dat ... I like girls. Now get back to your sewing class.

Is it true you tried out for the Martha Stewart Apprentice...? :+waving-5

honest abe

EOG Member
did you also know he went to school in dunblane, scotland, and lived through a school shooting (now called, obviously, 'the dunblane shooting'), which, in britain, is as infamous as the columbine shooting.

he hid under the headmaster's desk (sorry, principal to you) while a scout leader who must have had some connection to the school - maybe a teacher, or maybe he abused some of the boys there, went round killing these little kids.

honest abe

EOG Member
i just had to edit that last post to change 'famous' to 'infamous' - famous doesn't sound right when describing these things...

but apart from that, congrats to andy murray on the job he's doing.

glaken - do you know of any other up-and-coming players to look out for in the men's game? i remember a couple of years ago nadal and soderling were all the rage, and now murray.

I believe they mentioned it during Wimbledon .... he will be in top 10 in a few years ... needs to grow up a bit just like Gasquet

honest abe said:
i just had to edit that last post to change 'famous' to 'infamous' - famous doesn't sound right when describing these things...

but apart from that, congrats to andy murray on the job he's doing.

glaken - do you know of any other up-and-coming players to look out for in the men's game? i remember a couple of years ago nadal and soderling were all the rage, and now murray.

Check out this page....and the site is a must have for all tennis cappers

http://stevegtennis.com/youngguns.xls

honest abe

EOG Member
i don't post here too much, but read every day, and appreciate your efforts coconutman.

while this site is still building up it's nice to have people, like yourself and jjgold, to keep the discussions going. there's nothing more annoying that making an insightful comment and then seeing the thread go unnoticed. not that i make any insightful comments, mind you.

not so sure about the avatar, but each to his own, i guess...

:+clueless