ATP -Puerta Could Face Lifetime Ban For Doping

In a shocker, the mystery player who tested positive for doping at this year's French Open was -- hold your breath --an Argentine! The French sports daily l'Equipe reported today that Mariano Puerta, who lost to Rafael Nadal in the Roland Garros final, tested positive for the stimulant Etilefrine and could now face a lifetime ban since he was previously banned in 2003 for anabolic steroid use. The paper says Puerta will not be identified by the ATP until he appears before a doping panel. Puerta says l'Equipe is wrong: "I'm really angry, I've started investigations with my lawyers. This is a very delicate subject, there's no truth in it," Puerta told Reuters. "It's news to me. In my opinion, it's strange because nobody from the ATP or ITF has called me. It's crazy. The newspapers can say anything without proof. I haven't taken anything I shouldn't. When I tested positive two years ago, they called me and told me. Nobody has called me, so I don't know anything and I can't say anything. I'm just in Tokyo playing and trying to do my best. I have no idea where this comes from. There was a rumor going round that it was one of the 14 Argentines at the French Open. If there's an Argentine who was positive let them find him."...