EOG Master
Answers are simple:

1. Vaccines and mask mandates

2. Digital tickets

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
And the surcharges on the digital tickets are ridiculous.

A few years ago, before the pandemic, you could buy a ticket to a White Sox home game on Sundays (Family Day) for $5 at the box office.

The same ticket last year was raised in price from $5 to $10 and after you paid the Ticketmaster fee (the box office was not open), you were out $18.

From $5 to $18, a ridiculous increase of 260%.

No thanks.

railbird

EOG Master

A few years ago, before the pandemic, you could buy a ticket to a White Sox home game on Sundays (Family Day) for $5 at the box office.

The same ticket last year was raised in price from $5 to $10 and after you paid the Ticketmaster fee (the box office was not open), you were out $18.

No thanks.
Plus you need a fake vaccine pass and a functuinal iphone

boston massacre

EOG Master

No thanks.

Ticketmaster Are Big Time Financial Whores.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
My prediction stands that a major professional league folds or has to suspend operations and restructure. Top candidates:

NHL
WTA
NASCAR

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Not WNBA or LPGA because of support from the men's league. howid that for irony after the soccer pussies won their equal pay lawsuit.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Are you guys saying you cant walk up and buy a ticket anymore without paying a fee- assuming it isn't sold out?

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
One contributing factor has to be the wokeness of so many leagues & players, their blatant anti-white racism, and their support of the despicable racist hate group BLM.

It should be a VERY big factor, but it’s amazing how many whites with Stockholm syndrome just shrug off huge amounts of antiwhite racism.
For example, this woke publication completely ignores wokeism as a factor 🤷‍♂️

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
I turned away from live sporting events many years ago when tickets, parking, concessions, and the players' salaries became unrealistic. The stadium deals ripping off taxpayers to further enrich already mega-wealthy owners, further decreased my interest.

I don't remember the exact #, but I think I read mlb minimum salary is 600k+ and the players are asking for a bump to 750k+ minimum.

The woke and blm themes weren't the final straw, but it guarantees that I won't ever change my opinion about professional and major college sports.

Unless somebody is entertaining or trying to woo future business, or being entertained via free tickets, I think spending chunks of money attending sporting events is foolish.

The cure for this insanity is for regular folks to quit supporting the product...not temporarily, but permanently.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I turned away from live sporting events many years ago when tickets, parking, concessions, and the players' salaries became unrealistic. The stadium deals ripping off taxpayers to further enrich already mega-wealthy owners, further decreased my interest.

I don't remember the exact #, but I think I read mlb minimum salary is 600k+ and the players are asking for a bump to 750k+ minimum.

The woke and blm themes weren't the final straw, but it guarantees that I won't ever change my opinion about professional and major college sports.

Unless somebody is entertaining or trying to woo future business, or being entertained via free tickets, I think spending chunks of money attending sporting events is foolish.

The cure for this insanity is for regular folks to quit supporting the product...not temporarily, but permanently.

Written with sincerity.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
HDTV also contributing factor.

Attendance won't matter as much with Apple and Amazon entering the bidding war for content.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
Are you guys saying you cant walk up and buy a ticket anymore without paying a fee- assuming it isn't sold out?

Certain high schools here have even adopted this dumb shit. Digital tickets only...with an added fee, of course.

I'll be opting out of a district final game I was going to attend on Friday.

Instead, my favorite locally-owned, corner bar will have an extra few customers arriving prior to tipoff rather than post game.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
Echo what Woodrow stated. Ohio High School regionals and state basketball all digital. No buy one get one burger deal on the back of a digital ticket. Bullshit.

Valuist

EOG Master
As a kid, I used to love going to live sporting events. But as one gets older, the appeal wears off. Outrageous prices for food and parking; it's just not worth it. And getting out of the parking lot is often a hassle that takes too long. Most of the major sports regular season games are televised, with a few exceptions. And for the NFL? You'd have to be crazy to waste a Sunday afternoon at one event and miss out on all the other games going on.

Murphy’s Best

EOG Dedicated
I know many guys who are not into the BLM/woke nonsense that is going on. Gamblers will keep watching & attending games but the guys who don’t gamble will not attend or watch anymore.

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
Instead of wasting their money on game tickets supporting woke/blm players and owners, regular folks should find a local place like Mr. Merlin has in MN.

To hell with the owners & players. How many times will fans be shit on before they find something else to do?

My favorite corner bar & grill doesn't have FB.

This is value tho!

Join us Friday for Good Food, Meat Raffle & Texas Holdem!
*HAPPY HOURS 3 - 5 pm with 2 for 1 drinks and beer
*DINNER 5-9:30 PM - Choice Steaks, Butterfly & Jumbo Grilled Shrimp, Smoked BBQ Ribs and delicious Prime Rib!
*DINNER SPECIALS-18-19 oz. T Bone $18.50 or Porterhouse $19.95, served until gone.
*MEAT RAFFLE 6:30 pm. Win 2 packs of meat every spin!
*TEXAS HOLDEM TOURNAMENT 9 PM - Free tournament open to all! Win free drink, bar tab or up to $100 cash!

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

No thanks.

I'm going to my first NBA game in over 3 years, Detroit vs Washington at the end of this month.

Picked up very good tickets for $40 each, front row, Mezzanine level at Little Caesars Arena.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I know many guys who are not into the BLM/woke nonsense that is going on. Gamblers will keep watching & attending games but the guys who don’t gamble will not attend or watch anymore.

I love women's basketball despite the liberal activism and political agenda of the WNBA.

It's a turn-off but I love the women's hoop action more than I dislike the silly politics.

The league is as woke as it gets when comparing it to other sports leagues.

I simply ignore the nonsense and focus on the important action between the lines.

Today, it looks as if the league's agenda is to eliminate white male coaches entirely.

How times have changed.

When the WNBA debuted in 1997, teams hired old NBA assistant coaches Richie Adubato and Ron Rothstein on the advice of David Stern to give the league "instant credibility."

In the upcoming season, only two white males remain (Mike Thibault in Washington and Curt Miller in Connecticut) as head coaches in the league and one of the them (Thibault) is on the wrong side of 70.

Connecticut head coach Curt Miller got into trouble last season (fined 10k and suspended for one game) for referencing Liz Cambage's weight -- Miller claimed 300 pounds, Cambage is listed at 216 -- when complaining to the referees.

I assume Miller built up enough credibility through the years to offset a blunder that could have resulted in his firing during this age of cancel culture.

Unfortunately, the WNBA ladies and anyone associated with the league promote diversity, but only if it aligns with their progressive agenda.

Diversity of thought doesn't matter.

A bigger criticism is reserved for The Athletic, a left-leaning website dedicated to sports reporting.

A couple of years ago, the website dedicated itself to covering the WNBA with a reporter in every city.

The website put out a call for the best female basketball reporters out there.

What?

The Athletic wanted to hire 12 women to cover the 12 WNBA teams.

Why not hire the 12 best reporters, regardless of sex?

Predictably, the coverage from the ladies was soft.

Few hard-hitting questions when former WNBA great Tamika Catchings floundered as General Manager in Indiana and no investigative reporting when Chennedy Carter was kicked off her team in Atlanta.

The ultimate slap to journalism came when ESPN's Holly Rowe was covering the WNBA from Bradenton, Florida.

It was the 2020 season and the league conducted a season inside a bubble, cleverly titled "The Wubble" on social media.

Rowe, always putting the players in the best possible light, was more a part of the WNBA publicity team than an independent hard-hitting reporter.

She's clearly a publicist, not an unbiased journalist.

ESPN, as a television partner of the WNBA, allows her to get away with it.

Even young journalists would recognize a problem with the championship photo (pictured below) of the 2020 Seattle Storm.

What is Holly Rowe doing in the championship photo?

Embarrassing.

1646340400729.png

Last edited:

Sleepy

EOG Master
I love women's basketball despite the liberal activism and political agenda of the WNBA.

It's a turn-off but I love the women's hoop action more than I dislike the silly politics.

The league is as woke as it gets when comparing it to other sports leagues.

I simply ignore the nonsense and focus on the important action between the lines.

Today, it looks as if the league's agenda is to eliminate white male coaches entirely.

How times have changed.

When the WNBA debuted in 1997, teams hired old NBA assistant coaches Richie Adubato and Ron Rothstein on the advice of David Stern to give the league "instant credibility."

In the upcoming season, only two white males are left (Mike Thibault in Washington and Curt Miller in Connecticut) as head coaches in the league and one of the them (Thibault) is on the wrong side of 70.

Connecticut head coach Curt Miller got into trouble last season (fined 10k and suspended for one game) for referencing Liz Cambage's weight -- Miller claimed 300 pounds, Cambage is listed at 216 -- when complaining to the referees.

I assume Miller built up enough credibility through the years to offset a blunder that could have resulted in his firing in this age of cancel culture.

Unfortunately, the WNBA ladies and anyone associated with the league promote diversity, but only if it aligns with their progressive agenda.

Diversity of thought doesn't matter.

A bigger criticism is reserved for The Athletic, a left-leaning website dedicated to sports reporting.

A couple of years ago, the website dedicated itself to covering the WNBA with a reporter in every city.

The website put out a call for the best female basketball reporters out there.

What?

The Athletic wanted to hire 12 women to cover the 12 WNBA teams.

Why not hire the 12 best reporters, regardless of sex?

Predictably, the coverage from the ladies was soft.

Few hard-hitting questions when former WNBA great Tamika Catchings floundered as General Manager in Indiana and no investigative reporting when Chennedy Carter was kicked off her team in Atlanta.

The ultimate slap to journalism came when ESPN's Holly Rowe was covering the WNBA from Bradenton, Florida.

It was the 2020 season and the league conducted a season inside a bubble, cleverly titled "The Wubble" on social media.

Rowe, always putting the players in the best possible light, was more a part of the WNBA publicity team than an independent hard-hitting reporter.

She's clearly a publicist, not an unbiased journalist.

ESPN, as a television partner of the WNBA, allows her to get away with it.

Even young journalists would recognize a problem with the championship photo (pictured below) of the 2020 Seattle Storm.

What is Holly Rowe doing in the championship photo?

Embarrassing.

View attachment 7465396

300 is to kind
more like 500

mr merlin

EOG Master
Instead of wasting their money on game tickets supporting woke/blm players and owners, regular folks should find a local place like Mr. Merlin has in MN.

To hell with the owners & players. How many times will fans be shit on before they find something else to do?

My favorite corner bar & grill doesn't have FB.

This is value tho!

Join us Friday for Good Food, Meat Raffle & Texas Holdem!
*HAPPY HOURS 3 - 5 pm with 2 for 1 drinks and beer
*DINNER 5-9:30 PM - Choice Steaks, Butterfly & Jumbo Grilled Shrimp, Smoked BBQ Ribs and delicious Prime Rib!
*DINNER SPECIALS-18-19 oz. T Bone $18.50 or Porterhouse $19.95, served until gone.
*MEAT RAFFLE 6:30 pm. Win 2 packs of meat every spin!
*TEXAS HOLDEM TOURNAMENT 9 PM - Free tournament open to all! Win free drink, bar tab or up to $100 cash!
Lots of places like this in the outer suburban/rural areas of Mn, I have several nearby places that have happy hour drinks for as little as $2, it's a competitive business.

Check out the breakfast bloody mary special at jumpin jacks - you get breakfast plus a fairly decent bloody mary for something like $7 - lots of places charge close to that for just the bloody.

1646368088033.png

Bushay

NHL Expert
Been a subscriber of The Athletic since day 1. I admittedly only click the Hockey content. Can honestly say I've never noticed any left or right-leaning content yet. Ever. I'm also not clicking on content looking for it.

The thread starter just likes stirring up shit looking for something that isn't there. He's an angry homosexual with a chip on his shoulder is all.

Like he doesn't understand the NHL arenas were limiting the live gate in some venues to 500 tickets in the height of the Covid crisis? lol

Will he start a thread once the arenas are fully open again announcing attendance is up?

Donald Trump will be President again before that happens. So in other words.....not a snowball's chance in hell.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Been a subscriber of The Athletic since day 1. I admittedly only click the Hockey content. Can honestly say I've never noticed any left or right-leaning content yet. Ever. I'm also not clicking on content looking for it.

The thread starter just likes stirring up shit looking for something that isn't there. He's an angry homosexual with a chip on his shoulder is all.

Like he doesn't understand the NHL arenas were limiting the live gate in some venues to 500 tickets in the height of the Covid crisis? lol

Will he start a thread once the arenas are fully open again announcing attendance is up?

Donald Trump will be President again before that happens. So in other words.....not a snowball's chance in hell.

Joe Biden Will Be Re Elected.

not a snowball's chance in hell.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

How's the hockey coverage in The Athletic?

I've been a subscriber for the past three or four years.

Glad to see Jeopardy champ James Holzhauer contributing sports betting content.

He has posted a total of nine articles, but has gone silent since Super Bowl Sunday.

Hmmm....

Last edited:

Woodrow Wilson

EOG Dedicated
I'm going to my first NBA game in over 3 years, Detroit vs Washington at the end of this month.

Picked up very good tickets for $40 each, front row, Mezzanine level at Little Caesars Arena.

Of course, I wouldn't attend at any ticket price, despite being a former huge NBA fan.

However, $40 does seem more reasonably priced for quality seating.