Baseball clock

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Birdie's post with the side by side makes me wonder about the clock with runners on base. That brings in a whole new set of variables. I agree. There was a problem before. Much like vaccines, the cure is worse and worse.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Home plate umpire deemed the batter was not ready (alert to the pitcher) at the eight-second mark on the clock.

That's a pitch-clock violation and good for an automatic strike.

In this case, on a 3-2 count, the pitch-clock strike ended the at-bat and the inning.

This is baseball in 2023.
It's a learning curve, the batter has a responsibility to be in the box ready to hit. I cant stand that wandering around, tugging at your gloves BS. The worst is the unstrapping and restrapping of the velcro on their gloves after taking a pitch.

Heim

EOG Master
I wonder how this will affect Ohtani, nobody takes longer than him to deliver a pitch.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Rick Sutcliffe notoriously was a slow worker.

Why?

He said he had to wait until his arm stopped hurting to throw the next pitch.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Lots of overs in exhibition play. Shift rule should make a big diff in increased scoring. Left hand batters more valuable.

Valuist

EOG Master
I heard that college football was considering some changes, not the least of was no clock stoppages after first downs. This makes sense. My attention span will not go beyond 3 hours. IMO college football has had a bigger problem with length of games than baseball.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Love the pitch clock, I watched a Marlins/Mets game the other day that took 1:57
The twins astros today was 9-6 and the game was still about 2 hrs 36 min, as was mentioned baseball is watchable again, you dont need to change the channel because nothings happening.

cheapseats

EOG Master
I wonder if short rest periods will lead to more arm issues. Seems logical that a few additional seconds would allow the arm to gather itself.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I wonder if short rest periods will lead to more arm issues. Seems logical that a few additional seconds would allow the arm to gather itself.

Good question, CHEAP.

Games are much quicker this season -- about 25 minutes faster -- than the 2022 season, yet scoring is up about a half-run per game.

Here's a quick thought: The big innings are more productive because of the pitch clock and the 1-2-3 innings move quicker because of the pitch clock.

So the pitch clock accelerates whatever happens in the inning, good or bad.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Good question, CHEAP.

Games are much quicker this season -- about 25 minutes faster -- than the 2022 season, yet scoring is up about a half-run per game.

Here's a quick thought: The big innings are more productive because of the pitch clock and the 1-2-3 innings move quicker because of the pitch clock.

So the pitch clock accelerates whatever happens in the inning, good or bad.

Big innings are more productive because of the shift rules and the pitch clock

mr merlin

EOG Master
Everything they did was designed to BOTH speed up the game and lead to more scoring, so it's working, bigger bases, no shifts, less time to recover from pitches and think about it too,

30 min faster with slightly more scoring - I like it. I dont think .5-1 run a game is the end of the world.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Big innings are more productive because of the shift rules and the pitch clock

Good point, VD.

The rules banning the exaggerated shift are a big plus for the offense.

A few years back, left-handed hitters who hit ground balls to the right-field side of second base were hitting .111 in that situation.

Amazing that we went so long with most second basemen positioned at the traditional spot between first and second base deep on the infield dirt.

cheapseats

EOG Master
Clock consequence has extended beer sales by an inning. Lol, when the cut-off was the 7th it was to be cognizant of safety. Not no more, gotta pay the high priced players.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
They should speed it up some more - maybe 10 seconds between pitches(15 with a man on), then they can start playing triple headers.

Funny.

One downside for baseball with the brisker-paced games: Less time for fans to buy food and merchandise.

Possible solution: Open the park earlier and keep it open later with players and coaches interacting with fans, especially younger fans.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Pitch clock violations thankfully are not reviewable via replay.

Would defeat the purpose of speeding up the game.

Valuist

EOG Master
Pitch clock violations thankfully are not reviewable via replay.

Would defeat the purpose of speeding up the game.

But I could see where that would happen.

EVs are supposed to be good for the environment. Mining for lithium is extremely dirty.

Dealing with a Rob Manfred, I could see him instituting reviews for the violations.

howid

EOG Dedicated
Possible solution: Open the park earlier and keep it open later with players and coaches interacting with fans, especially younger fans.

Mickey Mantle would slam the bus window on kids asking for autographs, according to Jim Bouton ...

Heim

EOG Master
Raise your hand if you saw this coming. Clock shortening game resulting in less beer sales. Prices reportedly going up.

boston massacre

EOG Master
How About The Guys Who Had To Adjust Both Batting Gloves After Every Pitch.

Undo The Velcro, Play Around With It, Then Seal It Back Up.

The Sport With The Most Amount Of Bullshit, And The Least Amount Of Action.