Biggest draft blunder ever. Sam Bowie? Greg Oden?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Seems like the Blazers didnt' learn their lesson from 1984, they repeated that mistake in 2007.

Is the day of picking the big man ahead of the smaller athletic man over? Or do we still live and die by the mantra "you can't teach size"

BADCO

EOG Dedicated
Re: Biggest draft blunder ever. Sam Bowie? Greg Oden?

How about the Hornets.

Drafted Kobe and the same day shipped him off to L.A. for Vlade and Horray.

Good thing they moved and the current fans don't bitch about it that much.

But yeah Durant is a beast.

938four

EOG Dedicated

switch gears here FK

ryan leaf > peyton manning?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

i should have said biggest NBA draft blunder ever. There was no blunder with manning, the colts had the first pick and took manning....SD was forced to take Leaf.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

How about the Hornets.

Drafted Kobe and the same day shipped him off to L.A. for Vlade and Horray.

Good thing they moved and the current fans don't bitch about it that much.

But yeah Durant is a beast.

I think Kobe demanded a trade so the hornets had no choice. Same thing happened with Eli and the Chargers.

rjt721

EOG Master

Oden was playing great before he got hurt and every team would have taken him No. 1.

At least he's not in the D league like Thabeet.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Oden was playing great before he got hurt and every team would have taken him No. 1.

At least he's not in the D league like Thabeet.

I think you have to find a way not to take the guy who might break down. I'm not sure how you do this, but if you want to win NBA titles, you have to figure out way to take Durant over Oden.

tripp

EOG Master

Oden can't be talked about in this conversation.

He was a great prospect that can still be a very good player in the NBA, especially defensively. His problems were mainly injuries, and that the NBA Gm's can't predict.

More teams than not would have taken Oden.

Agree with RJ about Thabeet. Not a no 1 overall pick, but I for the life of me can't see why anyone was even thinking about this guy in the lottery. He is pathetic and was pathetic in college. He just put up stats for being tall, his actual game was embarrassing at the best.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

He was a great prospect that can still be a very good player in the NBA, especially defensively. His problems were mainly injuries, and that the NBA Gm's can't predict.

Agree with RJ about Thabeet. Not a no 1 overall pick, but I for the life of me can't see why anyone was even thinking about this guy in the lottery. He is pathetic and was pathetic in college. He just put up stats for being tall, his actual game was embarrassing at the best.

Same thing with the Jazz taking Luther Wright with the 18th pick in 1993. Wright couldnt play but they picked him hoping they could teach him how to play because he was so big.

My point is that you have to find a way to predict injuries if you're a GM, that's a big part of your job.

injuries a GM cant predict...oden has been hurt all throughout high school...all throughout college...and all throughout the NBA...its not rocket science

Integrity

EOG Master

biggest mistake was bowie over jordan obviously

but oden over durant is gonna be up there

i was all for durant being taken number 1 altho i understood why port went oden

he started out good this year. just sucks he loses another year now

they took oden b/c everybody titled him as the next bill russell coming into the draft

now they are comparing him to glassjaw joe

mofome

Banned

the funniest thing about durant is how obvious the pick was and, despite that, 90% of the public and experts thinking oden was the pick.

what do people see.

rose was easy
durant was easy

its not hard.

Comparing Sam Bowie and Greg Oden is almost as retarded as comparing Durant to Jordan.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

What about this guy?

Grizzlies send Thabeet to NBDL team

The Associated Press
Thursday, February 25, 2010; 11:52 PM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The Memphis Grizzlies on Thursday assigned rookie center Hasheem Thabeet to the Dakota Wizards of the NBA Development League on Thursday.
A 7-foot-3 Thabeet, the second overall pick last year, averaged 2.5 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 50 games. The former Connecticut player had a career-best 10 points on Jan. 2 at Phoenix.
Thabeet was viewed as a player that needed development, but because of his rare combination of size and athleticism he was taken ahead players such as Tyreke Evans, who played at the University of Memphis, Stephen Curry and James Harden.
The Grizzlies have been recently using Hamed Haddadi, a second-year player from Iran, as the primary backup to starting center Marc Gasol.
The 23-year-old Thabeet will be the highest drafted player to play in the NBA's minor league. Portland's Martell Webster, the No. 6 pick in the 2005 draft, held that distinction. He played eight games for the Fort Worth Flyers in the D-League in 2005-06.

mofome

Banned

kwame was the guy everyone was going to take #1, just a terrible year for the draft. That class was a joke.

figures, the wiz get the #1. Kwame would have been nice if he had any heart at all.

The Blueprint

EOG Dedicated

Yea it was a weak draft, but everyone drafted behind him has at least been productive lol

guitarjosh

EOG Addicted

Michael Olowokandi?

Remember when everyone laughed at the Twins for drafting Joe Mauer over Mark Prior?
I agree. I think everyone makes too big a deal out of Sam Bowie. Everyone forgets that the Blazers had a pretty good 2/3 named Clyde Drexler.

The Clippers take the prize for worst drafts. Benoit Benjamin over Karl Malone, Chris Mullin, Joe Dumars, Reggie Williams over Scottie Pippen, Kevin Johnson, Reggie miller,Danny Ferry over Glen Rice, Tim Hardaway, and that is just 1985-1989.

Kind of obvious, Darko was the biggest blunder. The Sam Bowie stuff comes out because MJ followed him, but Bowie played 500 games in the NBA and started a lot of them. He had a season where he averaged 15 points and 10 rebounds and he played for 10 seasons. Compare that to Darko Bust-licic and the fact that Melo, Bosh and Wade were the next three picks.

they talked over trading with the Knick and taking Evans but one guy want Thabeet

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

For Philly taking Larry Hughes when even the most elementary student knew to take Paul Pierce. As i look i see another brain child of Larry Brown's was taking Darko. The way Dumars drafts u can bet ur ass that was Larry Brown inforcing his will and that was his pick. worst talent evaluatorer i ever saw but the guy is talked about like a god. Jordan will eventually can his ass. The two ego's are just to huge to be in one room.

Thabeet because he is one of the worst players to play in the NBA let alone being a top 5 pick.

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

Worst ever? Doug Wickenheiser (Montreal - NHL 1980) when you could have had Denis Savard, Paul Coffey or Larry Murphy. Close second Brian Lawton (NHL 1983) when could have had Pat LaFontaine, Steve Yzerman or Cam Neely.