BMO's Question/Thought of the Day

From time to time I have strange thoughts, or wonder about things. I feel we should all try to learn something everyday. I will be posting such ideas/thoughts/questions..hopefully on a regular basis. Feel free to answer or make converstion. Just something offtopic to do. I live by the philosophy there is no dumb question. So some of mine might seem very dumb, but I don't care. Feel free to bash...this is all in fun. Today's first question is a good one for EOG.

Why are Psychiatrists known as Shrinks?

Where did that come from?

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I have these strange thoughts often as well. I even say to myself AND others, "where did that question come from?". The human brain is more technical than anything I can think of.

A couple nights back I was lying in bed and asked my cook. "If I went into a hospital and asked persistently that they cut one of my limbs off, would they do it?"

She answered and Then I said to her "I have no idea why I asked that"

She said "Me either" :D

I guess THE SHRINK needs to post here in this thread.

Originally, the word "shrink" referred primarily to psychiatrists, but over the last 20 years its meaning has broadened and now it can be used with respect to just about any professional who does counseling or psychotherapy.

"Shrink" probably came from the two words "head shrink" and the single word "headshrinker," indicating that it likely originated as a disparaging reference comparing the process of psychotherapy to primitive tribal practices of shrinking the heads of enemies. Reportedly, "shrink" was first used in literature by Thomas Pynchon in his book The Crying of Lot 49 published in 1966. It figures that "shrink" had its literary birth out of the consciousness-expanding atmosphere of the 1960s.

"Shrink" has paradoxical meanings and uses and, by all analytical standards, has classic potential for connoting ambivalence (a favorite shrink word!). "Shrink" allows us to compare psychotherapy to primitive rituals, shamanism, and "sorcery" while still recognizing the more modern and scientific principles of mental wellness. "Shrink" attempts to create a balance between respect and irreverence, between affection and distancing -- can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.