Bob Gibson - Cancer Diagnosis

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Former St. Louis Cardinal great, Bob Gibson, announced that he has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was a great competitor and terrific athlete. Let’s hope he has some of his fight left for his biggest challenge.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Former St. Louis Cardinal great, Bob Gibson, announced that he has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He was a great competitor and terrific athlete. Let’s hope he has some of his fight left for his biggest challenge.

One of the Most Dominant Pitchers Ever to Play the Game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Pancreatic cancer is largely viewed as incurable.

The one-year survival rate is 20%, the five-year survival rate is 7%.

Bob Gibson is 83.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Bob Gibson is 83.

It is mostly incurable because it isn't discovered until it spreads to other parts of the body. They find it once it spreads to your bones and other internal organs.........and by that time it is too late to do anything to get rid of it. I have a friend who has this. NBA Official Greg Willard died of this. He was from O.C. and I attended his Funeral which was held on the day of the NCAA Hoops Title Game because the NBA told his wife (widow) it was the only day they would allow fellow NBA Officials to attend the "Ceremony" and 3 Refs were there.

Although Alex Trebek says his Cancer is in remission.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
It is mostly incurable because it isn't discovered until it spreads to other parts of the body. They find it once it spreads to your bones and other internal organs.........and by that time it is too late to do anything to get rid of it. I have a friend who has this. NBA Official Greg Willard died of this. He was from O.C. and I attended his Funeral which was held on the day of the NCAA Hoops Title Game because the NBA told his wife (widow) it was the only day they would allow fellow NBA Officials to attend the "Ceremony" and 3 Refs were there.

One of my customers just found out last month he has this cancer. Brutal.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
One of my customers just found out last month he has this cancer. Brutal.

I am certain 150+ years from now kids will read history books and turn to their parents and say something like: "Mom and Dad, how come people back then (referring to a time period around now) were so primitive and let people die of Cancer?"

I am certain there will be cures for stuff like: Cancer, ALS, Dementia, Alzheimer's and more. It might be something like Polio, Chickn Pox, Measles and more where you get a vaccine when you are a kid and never have t worry about that ever again.

That will then bring up a different dilemma: Overpopulation.

It is sad to see an 8-year-old girl die of Cancer. But to maintain the population we need that. If this girl gets her Cancer cured and goes on to live until she is 90, that means she will most likely get married, have 2-3 kids, who knows how many grand kids and what would have been ZERO is now 8+ and to maintain the population that is a bad thing.

MrTop

EOG Master
The last time MLB made a major rule change for the Pitchers’ mound was 1969. The pitcher's mound was dropped five inches. No DH until 1973. Less teams. Had the turf at some stadiums. Gibson played 1959-75. When you would go to the stadium you always wanted to know who pitched cause pitchers went long in the game. No more. The game has too much offense IMO.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Game times averaged less than two-and-a-half hours in the decade of the '70's.

This season, games are averaging three hours and eight minutes, an all-time high.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Game times averaged less than two-and-a-half hours in the decade of the '70's.

This season, games are averaging three hours and eight minutes, an all-time high.

Commercials

Very few games were televised when Gibson pitched. Today - practically every game is on TV. That 2+ minutes between every inning very quickly adds up. As does what seems like double digit pitching changes per game as opposed to very few when Gibson pitched

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Went to a White Sox game last season and I saw the "between innings clock" set at two minutes and five seconds.

I believe breaks are 20 seconds longer for nationally-televised games.

How long were commercial breaks in the 1970's?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Went to a White Sox game last season and I saw the "between innings clock" set at two minutes and five seconds.

I believe breaks are 20 seconds longer for nationally-televised games.

How long were commercial breaks in the 1970's?
60-90 seconds, the latter for national games.

michael777

EOG Dedicated

You are correct for the first time in history!!!!! My dad was fine,got a pain,6 weeks later he was dead,pancreatic cancer,spread to almost all his organs

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
You are correct for the first time in history!!!!! My dad was fine,got a pain,6 weeks later he was dead,pancreatic cancer,spread to almost all his organs

Nice first line. I'll take it

As for the part after that - sorry to hear that. But as you found out, it is so deadly because no one knows they have it until it spreads and by then it is far too late. One day they will find a cure for this but until they do Pancreatic Cancer is just brutal!

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I am certain 150+ years from now kids will read history books and turn to their parents and say something like: "Mom and Dad, how come people back then (referring to a time period around now) were so primitive and let people die of Cancer?"

I am certain there will be cures for stuff like: Cancer, ALS, Dementia, Alzheimer's and more. It might be something like Polio, Chickn Pox, Measles and more where you get a vaccine when you are a kid and never have t worry about that ever again.

It is sad to see an 8-year-old girl die of Cancer. But to maintain the population we need that. If this girl gets her Cancer cured and goes on to live until she is 90, that means she will most likely get married, have 2-3 kids, who knows how many grand kids and what would have been ZERO is now 8+ and to maintain the population that is a bad thing.

Please explain why this 8 year old has to die of Cancer....what if she was your 8 year old daughter....never have I heard maintaining the population....

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Please explain why this 8 year old has to die of Cancer....what if she was your 8 year old daughter....never have I heard maintaining the population....

IF he 8 y/o was a family member of mine....I would be CRUSHED!

For her family - it stinks

For Society as a whole - it is needed to maintain population control. I know we all recall her and her great story. When she died it was crushing but her dying helped keep the World Population under control for the next 40+ years

waco

EOG Dedicated
Never forget what Tim McCarver said about a mound visit with Gibson!! He went to mound to talk to Gibson and Gibson told him to get back to where you come from! " the only thing you know about pitching is that you cant hit it"

skinny

EOG Addicted
Never forget what Tim McCarver said about a mound visit with Gibson!! He went to mound to talk to Gibson and Gibson told him to get back to where you come from! " the only thing you know about pitching is that you cant hit it"
He had another good line, he said Gibson was a real lucky pitcher, when he pitched the other team score much.

railbird

EOG Master

I think immunotherapy is on the right track

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Hard to talk about superlatives. Fair to call Gibson one of the top 5 starting pitchers of L60 years?

Let's look at who else could be considered for this list (NOT saying they ARE on the list - just under consideration)

Greg Maddux
Steve Carlton
Sandy Koufax
Pedro Martinez
Don Drysdale
Randy Johnson
Nolan Ryan
Tom Seaver

Of the list above. I have to put on T5 in L60 years

Greg Maddux
Sandy Koufax

After that - I am "open" to any of the above or others

waco

EOG Dedicated
One year he pitched 304 innings. Went 22-9 with a 1.12 ERA. Last year the most innings pitched was 220 by a starter.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Let's look at who else could be considered for this list (NOT saying they ARE on the list - just under consideration)

Greg Maddux
Steve Carlton
Sandy Koufax
Pedro Martinez
Don Drysdale
Randy Johnson
Nolan Ryan
Tom Seaver

Of the list above. I have to put on T5 in L60 years

Greg Maddux
Sandy Koufax

After that - I am "open" to any of the above or others

The one blemish on Greg Maddux's record is his subpar postseason mark.

Maddux was 355-227 in the regular season but only 11-14 in the postseason.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
I think Sandy Koufax had a little to do with that as well.

Sandy Koufax retired after the 1966 season. The mound was lowered after the 1968 season -- the year of the pitcher, and the following Gibson stats:

One year he pitched 304 innings. Went 22-9 with a 1.12 ERA. Last year the most innings pitched was 220 by a starter.

That year was 1968.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
The one blemish on Greg Maddux's record is his subpar postseason mark.

Maddux was 355-227 in the regular season but only 11-14 in the postseason.

Gibson's post season record -- all in the World Series -- was 7-2. He lost his first World Series game in 1964 and his last in 1968. In between he was 7-0. In the 1967 World Series against the Boston Red Sox he was 3-0 with 3 complete games and a 1.00 era in 27 innings pitched, and obviously was named most valuable player of the World Series. He also hit a home run in that series. He hit a home run in the 1968 series, too, against the Detroit Tigers

He had a 1.89 era over those 9 games. Eight of them were complete games. Game #5 of the 1964 World Series vs the Yankees was a 10 inning complete game victory (5-2).

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
Don't forget Jim Palmer and Robin Roberts. Palmer was every bit as good as Gibson. And Robbie pitched over 300 innings 6 straight years and missed the 7th by 2.2 innings. If they had pitched for the Yankees (Robbie did so briefly), the would have monuments and their autographs would go for 100 bucks. They didn't; so you can't give their autos away.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted

Bob Gibson is 83.

FWIW, Jimmy Carter's father, and three sibling all died from pancreatic cancer. His mother died of breast, bone, and pancreatic cancer There is a genetic component to pancreatic cancer. Apparently, Jimmy didn't inherit this gene. He did beat melanoma for now, though I've heard you're never really cured from it, even if you are cancer free for five years.

Jimmy Carter is 94 years old, the longest lived President. He will turn 95 on October 1st.