Boras Says Deal In Place For Harper...

Polar

EOG Member
Most overrated player today. Wouldn't give him more than 15 a year. Railbird wouldn't even give him that much. :alien:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
He’s not going to the cubs, they are already paying huge money for Heywsrd.

Now I could see the cubs making a run at Machado.

Heim

EOG Master
MLB Free Agency Odds
Bryce Harper

Phillies: +100
Cubs: +300
Nationals: +400
Giants: +750
Yankees: +800
Dodgers: +850
Red Sox: +1500
Angels: +1500

King Felix

EOG Veteran
he ks too much, terrible teammate in clubhouse. overrated
Was absolutely comical when people thought there was some kind of competition between he and trout. Trout may end up being the best ever, harpers had one great season and the rest he was just a good corner outfielder. He doesnt belong in the same stadium as trout.

Heim

EOG Master
I didn't realize Harper was this bad defensively but I remember him being a catcher in HS & JC (Vegas) prior to the OF:

"Harper had the third-worst defensive value out of 140 qualified players this past season"

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Scott Boras blowing smoke up everyones ass....

BINGO! Highly doubtful he has a deal in place. He is just saying this hoping to drum up interest in Harper to raise the price

I have met Boras several times. I officiated his kids youth basketball games some time ago. We have a mutual friend who works for him. He knows my face - not my name and I am fine with it. In person he is one of the quietest guys you will ever meet. When I did his kid's game he never said 3 words. I would want him as my agent. I do expect Harper to geta 10-year deal with an OUT after 3 years so after 3 years he can sign another 10 year deal for even more money

MrTop

EOG Master
harper is adam dunn 2.0 just like baseball prospectus said he would be : homeruns , walks , very good OBA & can't play the field

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Here is what we do know. Well, educated and sophisticated opinions..

1. Even if Nats offer the most money, he isn’t resigning with them. Its. It not possible. Players like Harper want to win. It’s in his blood. Came close with Washington but that ship has sailed.

2. Phillies - he would probably need assurance they were going to use all their money on not only him but another star or multiple above average players.

3. Cubs - Harper and Bryant are homies. They suck each other off since their teenage years. Not sure how much Cubs can pay but if they somehow can, winning and friendship takes priority here. He will wind up playing for Chicago if they can work something out.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I’d even go out on the limb and say Boras and Harper probably tried last off-season to get paid but failed and part of the reason he started slow and hit like poo poo was the fact he knew right there he wasn’t coming back the following year.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Here is what we do know. Well, educated and sophisticated opinions..

3. Cubs - Harper and Bryant are homies. They suck each other off since their teenage years. Not sure how much Cubs can pay but if they somehow can, winning and friendship takes priority here. He will wind up playing for Chicago if they can work something out.

No argument. But as long as the Cubs have that BRUTAL Jason Heyward contract they might not be able to offer as much as would be needed knowing how many players they have coming up down the line that will need to be paid. Word had it Bryant turned down a $200M deal. So we know it will take at least $25)M or more to sign him. Then you start looking at contracts for players like; Rizzo, Baez, and more and now the Cubs payroll escalates rather quickly. And let's not forget (Something I know Cubs' fans would love to do) Yu Darvish is getting $21M a year for FIVE MORE YEARS!

I just don't see how Harper's contract can be brought in knowing how many more "mouths they have to feed" down the line

Valuist

EOG Master
I say he doesn't go to the Cubs. Theo won't do it. Yes, we can point to some big overpays in free agency but what is Epstein's strength? It's drafting hitters. I bet he feels he can find a power hitter in the draft. Outside of 2015 & 2017, Harper has been pretty much a one dimensional hitter.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
i just feel there is some truth behind what Boras said. I believe Harper wants to join the Cubs. He’s alway had some weird connection and love for the city. Always sporting Chicago gear, showing up to events.

It’s just a matter of if the Cubs can make it happen. Yeah, that Darivish contract, a big disappointment so far.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
No argument. But as long as the Cubs have that BRUTAL Jason Heyward contract they might not be able to offer as much as would be needed knowing how many players they have coming up down the line that will need to be paid. Word had it Bryant turned down a $200M deal. So we know it will take at least $25)M or more to sign him. Then you start looking at contracts for players like; Rizzo, Baez, and more and now the Cubs payroll escalates rather quickly. And let's not forget (Something I know Cubs' fans would love to do) Yu Darvish is getting $21M a year for FIVE MORE YEARS!

I just don't see how Harper's contract can be brought in knowing how many more "mouths they have to feed" down the line
This

Harper will land in Philly or SF.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
i just feel there is some truth behind what Boras said. I believe Harper wants to join the Cubs. He’s alway had some weird connection and love for the city. Always sporting Chicago gear, showing up to events.

It’s just a matter of if the Cubs can make it happen. Yeah, that Darivish contract, a big disappointment so far.
Arrieta also wanted to stay with the cubs and Boras promised Jake a Scherzer-type contract. Boras only wants Harper to go to Chicago so he can parlay that contract into the Bryant contract in a couple of years.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
This

Harper will land in Philly or SF.

I think Harper OR Machado will end up in Philly. After all he did this postseason for the Dodgers, I sense Manny's value went down a tad. Philly makes the most sense because going to SF would be a pure "money grab" since that team won't be competitive for some time. Borass may want Harper to go to the Cubs so he and Bryant can play on the same team but if he does the money available for Bryant and more might not be there

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I think Harper OR Machado will end up in Philly. After all he did this postseason for the Dodgers, I sense Manny's value went down a tad. Philly makes the most sense because going to SF would be a pure "money grab" since that team won't be competitive for some time. Borass may want Harper to go to the Cubs so he and Bryant can play on the same team but if he does the money available for Bryant and more might not be there
One way that both land in Philly is if they want to trade arrieta. They do have young pitching, need bullpen help bad.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
One way that both land in Philly is if they want to trade arrieta. They do have young pitching, need bullpen help bad.

2 years for Jake at $25M is not thaaaaaat bad of a deal. If they "eat" some of it might be even easier to move him

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
2 years for Jake at $25M is not thaaaaaat bad of a deal. If they "eat" some of it might be even easier to move him
I don’t think they have to eat any, but you can get a better prospect if so. There are teams like StL, Atl, possibly Mil that would take him.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I don’t think they have to eat any, but you can get a better prospect if so. There are teams like StL, Atl, possibly Mil that would take him.

IF Kershaw Opts out.................?????????

But i could definitely see Milw/Atl making a play for him

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
In the end it’s Harpers decision. What Harper says goes. Hes done enough already in the league to warrant this.
Its always the players decision in the end.

Winky - good point about the Dodgers if CK opts out. I think he would be a fool to leave a pitchers park though.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Its always the players decision in the end.

Winky - good point about the Dodgers if CK opts out. I think he would be a fool to leave a pitchers park though.

100% agree but if he is really only after money - going to Texass and being there for that new park would be great for him. I still think he is still with the Dodgers come next season and maybe thru 2022.