Boras Says Deal In Place For Harper...

MrTop

EOG Master
Harper --- cubs +100
phillies +120

if that was the real harper ( horrible in RF last year ) the cubs will move him to left and bye bye swarber.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Harper --- cubs +100
phillies +120

if that was the real harper ( horrible in RF last year ) the cubs will move him to left and bye bye swarber.
They would be much better off signing Machado to play 3b and move Bryant to LF.

Polar

EOG Member
Harper wants to be on the west coast. Unless an eastern team makes an absurd offer he will not stay in the east or north.

Heim

EOG Master
I was hoping Hamels, a San Diego guy, would be available for the Halos. Now it's going to get expensive on a mult-year deal for Keuchel. I know he's their top priority.

Valuist

EOG Master
I am interested in Kate Beckinsale and Nina Agdal. I like the chances of mine happening a lot more than the Sox signing 1 - or both.

LOL. Can't imagine Harper going to South Side in a million years. Jimenez is an outfielder and he will be up soon, and probably Rutherford. Not to mention the fact Reinsdorf doesn't like to throw around money.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Phillies have the money to sign both Machado and Harper....possibility....

They do but they also have some long term deals to consider with some of their own players and in a very short amount of time, too. I don't think any of us see them signing both

MrTop

EOG Master
if anyone needs harper it is the phillies. ...need some HR

cubs had an off year with HR cause Bryant was hurt.

yisman

EOG Master
I think Harper OR Machado will end up in Philly. After all he did this postseason for the Dodgers, I sense Manny's value went down a tad. Philly makes the most sense because going to SF would be a pure "money grab" since that team won't be competitive for some time. Borass may want Harper to go to the Cubs so he and Bryant can play on the same team but if he does the money available for Bryant and more might not be there

Boras doesn’t want Harper and Bryant on the same team. He wants the most money, period. If there’s one thing Boras has made clear during his catrrr, it’s that he doesn’t give a damn about his clients or what they want. Multiple times players have had to fire Boras because he was blocking deals they wanted.

Boras famously screwed over A-Rod twice and A-Rod has spoken publicly about it. Of course A-Rod has to take some blame for hiring that scum bag again after firing him so he could play baseball (Boras wouldn’t let A-Rod sign with Seattle after he was drafted).

yisman

EOG Master
It's not Boras' call.

Boras will do anything to block a deal if a player tries to take less.

He will lie to the player, lie to the team, leak stuff to the media,etc.

Many times he’s prevented players from signing for less when they wanted to. The smart ones fired him but many did not so he really is calling the shots, not the player.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Boras will do anything to block a deal if a player tries to take less.

See Jered Weaver for all of the proof you need. Signed a 5-year/$85M deal to STAY with the Angels when he could have gotten far more from anyone else. Weaver wanted to stay in Anaheim and made it known to Boras so he signed it and Boras was not happy about it at all

High Times

EOG Master
I actually thought he was going to be better than Trout. It's not close...... Dude be lucky to get 20 mil a year now I would think but some team will over pay for him.

Heim

EOG Master
He turned down 300mil for 10 (Nats) therefore Stanton's record deal of 352m in jeopardy.

King Felix

EOG Veteran
He turned down 300mil for 10 (Nats) therefore Stanton's record deal of 352m in jeopardy.
Yes but there were no opt outs. Whoever signs Harper is gonna front load the contract and offer an opt out after 5ish years giving him a chance to enter free agency again at 31ish.

King Felix

EOG Veteran
I actually thought he was going to be better than Trout. It's not close...... Dude be lucky to get 20 mil a year now I would think but some team will over pay for him.
Well this is just absurd. I don't love Harper but he's hitting free agency at 26 and as one of the 10 best hitters in baseball. You could argue he hasn't peaked yet either. When you sign him for 8 to 10 years - unlike most free agents - you actually are signing a lot of peak years with only a few dead years. Harper is worth every hit of 300+ million given his unique circumstance.

King Felix

EOG Veteran
No but he gets the commission.
Players are pushed to take the most money by the union. They rarely ever take deals for much less because it hurts the market. Harper and Machado will accept their best deals, more than likely, regardless of team.

Their signings and contracts are too important for the market.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Yes but there were no opt outs. Whoever signs Harper is gonna front load the contract and offer an opt out after 5ish years giving him a chance to enter free agency again at 31ish.

I think it will be 3. Have the chance to Opt Out after 3 years so he can sign anotyher 10 year dal, this time hopefully (for him) NORTH of $400M

King Felix

EOG Veteran
I think it will be 3. Have the chance to Opt Out after 3 years so he can sign anotyher 10 year dal, this time hopefully (for him) NORTH of $400M
I dont think any team is going to committ 10 years of guarantees while giving the player a chance to walk away after three. That puts 7 years of risk on the team as opposed to 5 years of risk, with the reward only being a short team 3 year contract. That would just be a horrible financial decision.

I'd be shocked.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Players are pushed to take the most money by the union. They rarely ever take deals for much less because it hurts the market. Harper and Machado will accept their best deals, more than likely, regardless of team.

Their signings and contracts are too important for the market.
I agree. Now comes the standoff in who signs first.