Boston Celtics or Miami Heat....Who moves on?

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Maybe some good observations can be made by the fans of both teams here....will be interesting to see what Kane has to say.....Heyward is back but don’t know how much he will be able to play....

I know Pat Riley and Danny Ainge are not the best of friends.....

Who is Danny Ainge friends with?

Boston is a tough one to defend, too many dangerous wing players for teams to key on. This eventually got to the Raptors who usually are pretty good at taking away your best player, but that doesn't apply here. About the only team that has enough length and depth to slow them down is probably the Clippers, lets see if the two teams get that far.

Feels like the best way to defend them is to give them some shots and hope they miss. Alternatively, try to force them off the 3s and take long 2s. Still might not be enough, the pandemic arena seems to be ideal for shooters with a consistent background they are all used to by now.

choslamshe

EOG Master
Such a great match up - wouldn't surprise me to see the winner fail to or barely exceed 100 points throughout the series.

Adebayo will be a key and as mentioned above with Boston's strength on the wings, can the likes of Robinson, Herro, and Dragic match the Celtics outside shooting?

Incredible coaching match up as well but give the edge to Spo here.

Heat in 7 - Herro series MVP

kane

EOG master
Are you hedging because of a season wager on Miami?

I don't have a Heat future, in fact I have a future on Boston at +1800. I just think in a long series talent wins out, and the C's have more talent, Kemba really struggled against Toronto but I expect a bounce back series from him, the Heat should have a tough time containing his drives to the rim, Butler guarding Tatum should be fascinating to watch, really interested to see how Tatum does going up against the type of D he'll see from Jimmy, I also think Theis can do a good job containing Bam. IMO Spo is the best coach in the game, and the job he's done this year has been incredible, the Heat are a team that plays hard every minute of every game, and they can shoot the hell out of the ball, for them to win guys like Robinson, Dragic, Crowder, and Herro will have to be hitting their three's. I think this series will be hard fought and low scoring, but I just think in the end Boston has too many answers and a guy like Hayward could be the X factor, the C's starters have been playing big minutes, so the eventual return of Hayward will give them much needed depth. It should be a competitive hard fought series and I think Boston wins, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Miami won

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I don't have a Heat future, in fact I have a future on Boston at +1800. I just think in a long series talent wins out, and the C's have more talent, Kemba really struggled against Toronto but I expect a bounce back series from him, the Heat should have a tough time containing his drives to the rim, Butler guarding Tatum should be fascinating to watch, really interested to see how Tatum does going up against the type of D he'll see from Jimmy, I also think Theis can do a good job containing Bam. IMO Spo is the best coach in the game, and the job he's done this year has been incredible, the Heat are a team that plays hard every minute of every game, and they can shoot the hell out of the ball, for them to win guys like Robinson, Dragic, Crowder, and Herro will have to be hitting their three's. I think this series will be hard fought and low scoring, but I just think in the end Boston has too many answers and a guy like Hayward could be the X factor, the C's starters have been playing big minutes, so the eventual return of Hayward will give them much needed depth. It should be a competitive hard fought series and I think Boston wins, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Miami won

Good luck.....good analysis

skinny

EOG Addicted
I do know that the defensive intensity has picked up in the 2nd round of these playoffs.
Only one game has gone over the total in regulation time, game 2 of the laker- rocket series I believe.
22 of the 23 games in the 2nd round have gone under in regulation.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Miami benefits from some extra rest.

The Heat took out the Bucks in five while the Celts were pressed to the limit by the Raptors.

If you want the Heat, think about Games 1 or 2.

Jimmy Butler is 31.

Jaylen Brown is 23 and Jayson Tatum is 22.

Brown and Tatum are more athletic than Butler, but Butler has a nasty edge to him.

Butler will not back down, Brown or Tatum might.

Jimmy is Miami's stud and everyone plays off him.

Is Goran Dragic good enough to keep up with Kemba Walker?

I think so and that's the key to the series.

Neither one can guard the other so they both could post big numbers offensively.

I love the crafty lefty.

Like the Heat, Dragic has upped his game in the postseason bubble.

CHO made a good point about the coaching matchup.

The three best coaches in the NBA reside in the Eastern Conference: Brad Stevens, Erik Spoelstra and Nick Nurse, in no particular order.

Hate to bet against KANE who selected Boston -130 to win the series and grabbed 18/1 on the Celts to win the NBA Finals.

(I'll root for KANE's NHL selection where he selected the Dallas Stars at 14/1 to win the Stanley Cup.)

Put me down for Miami in six.

Jimmy Butler versus either LeBron James or Kawhi Leonard should make for entertaining viewing in the 2020 NBA Finals.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

The Heat took out the Bucks in five while the Celts were pressed to the limit by the Raptors.

Jimmy Butler is 31.

Brown and Tatum are more athletic than Butler, but Butler has a nasty edge to him.

Neither one can guard the other so they both could post big numbers offensively.

I love the crafty lefty.

The three best coaches in the NBA reside in the Eastern Conference: Brad Stevens, Erik Spoelstra and Nick Nurse, in no particular order.

Hate to bet against KANE who selected Boston -130 to win the series and grabbed 18/1 on the Celts to win the NBA Finals.

(I'll root for KANE's NHL selection where he selected the Dallas Stars at 14/1 to win the Stanley Cup.)

Jimmy Butler versus either LeBron James or Kawhi Leonard should make for entertaining viewing in the 2020 NBA Finals.

Jimmy Butler is 31.

I love the crafty lefty.

Kawhi Leonard might not get there.....

Foresthill

EOG Addicted

Making quite an assumption that the Clippers actually get it done. Seems like a "kiss of death", Charles Barkley style, by John Kelly.

choslamshe

EOG Master
Such a great match up - wouldn't surprise me to see the winner fail to or barely exceed 100 points throughout the series.

Adebayo will be a key and as mentioned above with Boston's strength on the wings, can the likes of Robinson, Herro, and Dragic match the Celtics outside shooting?

Incredible coaching match up as well but give the edge to Spo here.

Heat in 7 - Herro series MVP

True of game 1

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
A Tatum floater or finger roll might have fallen or drew Bam goal tending instead of a dunk attempt.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
A Tatum floater or finger roll might have fallen or drew Bam goal tending instead of a dunk attempt.

Tatum made the right play, if he pulls up for a floater that misses people will say he should have taken it strong to the rim, he blew past Jimmy and had a seemingly easy dunk, credit Bam for playing great help defense and making one of the best defensive plays you'll ever see, to block that dunk attempt without fouling was unbelievable

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Exactly. Boston shouldnt implode and start fighting. The series so far has been great to watch. Easily could have been 2-0 the other way.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Tatum made the right play, if he pulls up for a floater that misses people will say he should have taken it strong to the rim, he blew past Jimmy and had a seemingly easy dunk, credit Bam for playing great help defense and making one of the best defensive plays you'll ever see, to block that dunk attempt without fouling was unbelievable
Never really felt it was the wrong play, just wondered given his ability to create his own shot if he would have drained it. Either way a foul not likely to be called if there was contact at the Tim unless it was obvious, but thus far this series has been a whistlefsdt. I guess we'll never know, but no doubt a great defensive play by Bam to avoid bring charged a foul and getting all ball.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Where did Tatum go in the 4th qtr last night? free throws early in 4th then I don't remember him even touching ball much last 5 - 7 mins of game.

kane

EOG master
The Heat are down big at the half, so Spo switches to the the zone which changed everything, the Celtics went from shooting lights out in the first half to not being able to make a shot in the third quarter, great strategy from a great coach, and Spo did something with the zone that you typically don't see, he had his big athletic wings in Butler and Derrick Jones Jr at the top of the zone, and his smaller guards at the bottom, completely stymied the Celtics offense, and speaking of Derrick Jones, that's another move Spo made, in the second half he shortened his rotation, Nunn didn't play at all in the second half, his minutes went to the longer, more athletic, better defender in Jones, specifically to play the zone. I can't recall a Heat team that had this much chemistry, not even the "big 3" era teams had chemistry like this team has, just an amazing story that Miami is 2 wins away from reaching the finals

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Bill Simmons always has a good read on the Celtics, stated before series started ( and even before they finished off Toronto) that Miami was a huge match up issue and he was stunned they were favored when lines came out

Heim

EOG Master
Stevens is getting outcoached....Heat keeps switching defenses every time down yet BOS still running the same offense.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Final score: Boston 117 Miami 106.

Miami leads the ECF, two games to one.

Order restored tonight.

For now.

Gordon Hayward played a productive 30 minutes in his return for the Celtics.

Though I like that Miami fought to get within five points late in the fourth quarter after being stuck by 20.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
MIA has become this decades Spurs.....ball movement, open man, unselfish play. Fun
to watch....in the words of the late Glenn Frey....'the heat is on'

kane

EOG master
MIA has become this decades Spurs.....ball movement, open man, unselfish play. Fun
to watch....in the words of the late Glenn Frey....'the heat is on'

The other day Brad Stevens compared their cutting and shot making to the Warriors, but the Spurs are a good analogy as well

choslamshe

EOG Master
Most impressive about the Heat to me is how small the gap between Butler and the 'next in line' contributor. He's been quiet all playoffs aside from a few games and it hasn't really mattered. Hard not to love what the team is doing..