Breaking racial barriers...

dungy was the first african american to win a super bowl...two years later tomlin becomes the second (and youngest ever) to win a super bowl! :thumbsup

would be ironic if an oklahoma win the tourney or a hornets/cavs nba finals!

TheRussianMob

EOG Member
Re: Breaking racial barriers...

Ty, I do drink alot of vodka so :cocktail
This board is nice, I have been following it for sometime.
I hope to contribute in many sporting activities.

TheRussianMob

EOG Member

I was at another board for sometime and they would say bad things about you guys. Only to later find myself spending time reading posts here and enjoying them. Go figure.

Blondie

EOG Master

Amazing how that happens.

Even through bad publicity good things can happen.

munson15

I want winners...

I'm really sorry, but I've had enough of the 'racial barrier' angle. We have a bi-racial President, and I think that speaks for itself. By keeping score all the time, it seems to me we are only perpetuating the idea that this is a racist country, when in fact, it is not. Blacks prefer blacks, whites prefer whites, but not to the exclusion of all else.

I'm really sorry, but I've had enough of the 'racial barrier' angle. We have a bi-racial President, and I think that speaks for itself. By keeping score all the time, it seems to me we are only perpetuating the idea that this is a racist country, when in fact, it is not. Blacks prefer blacks, whites prefer whites, but not to the exclusion of all else.

i prefer blacks to be successful just like whites, asians, and mexicans...its good to see stuff like this happen in sports that hasnt for decades upon decades

It just happened two years ago.

for the first time ever...would you just be writing it off if america was a african american dominated country and the first white coach ever won a super bowl 2 years ago...the first white president was elected...and a second (and youngest) coach won a super bowl this year? its nice to see other races prosper in this "melting pot" of a country

munson15

I want winners...

We have to agree to disagree, QD. I respect your opinion, but I am tired of the racial angle being played up at every opportunity. I don't think of athletes or coaches as black, white, etc. unless it is brought up in the context of discrimination. I don't advocate for white athletes in football even though they are a minority or against Hispanics in baseball, although they are represented disproportionately.

I honestly believe that ballclubs hire the players and coaches that give them the best opportunity to win, period. There are no racial quotas or biases that I am aware of, and I am no longer interested in reliving the ugly past, such as when blacks were excluded from baseball. I remember it, have read about it, and am appalled by it, but it no longer exists. I feel that we marginalize accomplishments when we resort to mentioning his or her race.

A first-time thing, like Doug Williams or Tony Dungy, or Barack Obama, is to be noted and celebrated as a sign that racism has been overcome. But, if you want to say that Tomlin is the second black coach to win the Super Bowl, then must we also make note that should the Colts win next year, that Jim Caldwell is the THIRD black coach to win the Super Bowl? I just don't see where it ends, and I don't see discrimination being a factor in hiring for major league coaching positions any longer.

We have to agree to disagree, QD. I respect your opinion, but I am tired of the racial angle being played up at every opportunity. I don't think of athletes or coaches as black, white, etc. unless it is brought up in the context of discrimination. I don't advocate for white athletes in football even though they are a minority or against Hispanics in baseball, although they are represented disproportionately.

I honestly believe that ballclubs hire the players and coaches that give them the best opportunity to win, period. There are no racial quotas or biases that I am aware of, and I am no longer interested in reliving the ugly past, such as when blacks were excluded from baseball. I remember it, have read about it, and am appalled by it, but it no longer exists. I feel that we marginalize accomplishments when we resort to mentioning his or her race.

A first-time thing, like Doug Williams or Tony Dungy, or Barack Obama, is to be noted and celebrated as a sign that racism has been overcome. But, if you want to say that Tomlin is the second black coach to win the Super Bowl, then must we also make note that should the Colts win next year, that Jim Caldwell is the THIRD black coach to win the Super Bowl? I just don't see where it ends, and I don't see discrimination being a factor in hiring for major league coaching positions any longer.

:thumbsup

its all good!

tripp

EOG Master

i think racial barriers will really be broken when people stop mentioning this stuff. people scream racial equality but racial equality would mean there is no reason to bring up the color of someone's skin, regardless of what happened. a coach won the super bowl, who cares if he is white or black, or Asian or Hispanic.

it will really be a great thing when we dont have to hear about this shit, when people can just be people and thats it.

i think racial barriers will really be broken when people stop mentioning this stuff. people scream racial equality but racial equality would mean there is no reason to bring up the color of someone's skin, regardless of what happened. a coach won the super bowl, who cares if he is white or black, or Asian or Hispanic.

it will really be a great thing when we dont have to hear about this shit, when people can just be people and thats it.
Sharp post. :cheers

What about auburn head coaching job?

i think it can go both ways...not everybody can accept change w/o hearing it and saying it themselves...yeah it would be a really great thing when we dont have to hear it b/c we as a country will have crossed this racism barrier...but i also think its a great thing to make stuff like this public to let the less fortunate people who may have certain racist thoughts and ideals know that these things are happening and that society is accepting and embracing it...i know there are those that have had their minds made up from day 1, but hopefully things like this could turn some people away from racism of any race...

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

FWIW:

Times being what they were in 1945 the citizen of Memphis, Tennessee didn’t get a chance to see the film Brewster’s Millions.

The local censorship board rejected the friendly relationship between the character Jefferson and his employer.

The Censors’ decreed that there was too much social equality between a white man and his black servant and therefore could cause racial strife in Memphis banning the film from being shown to citizens there.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Prophet: thats funny

I was flipping thru cable last nite and I saw on a commercial break the listing
for that movie and went to the frig and got a beer expecting to see
Richard Pryor as I thought he did a movie called that exact title?

:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

I agree, Munson. How is everyone supposed to feel like we're all one coutry if we keep pointing out: "Hey, look what the black guy did!" Are we suprised? Dungy and Tomlin aren't just "black guys", they're great coaches. Everytime someone brings something like us, it sounds to me like: "Pretty good!.....For a black dude."

No offense to Quebbler. I know that's not why you started the thread. Just elaborating on Munson's post.

for the first time ever...would you just be writing it off if america was a african american dominated country and the first white coach ever won a super bowl 2 years ago...the first white president was elected...and a second (and youngest) coach won a super bowl this year? its nice to see other races prosper in this "melting pot" of a country

I get it Queb. It's just that some of us feel that to point something like this out and to make a big deal out of it says that previous coaches were able to win the SB because they were white. No one has been stopping African American coaches from winning Super Bowls...they just haven't. That's not to say there haven't been great African American coaches, just that they never won the big game. It's happens to the best of em'.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Correct Doc....

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#e5e5b2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 24px; PADDING-LEFT: 17px; PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=center width=328>Overview for Brewster's Millions (1945) </TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 28px; PADDING-LEFT: 17px; PADDING-TOP: 8px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>Brief Synopsis:
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 28px; PADDING-LEFT: 17px" vAlign=top colSpan=2 height=39>A veteran has to spend $1 million in two months to inherit a fortune.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

....remade in 1985 with Richard Pryor and John Candy...

<SMALL>Plot summary for
</SMALL>Brewster's Millions (1985) More at IMDbPro ?

<!-- begin TOP_RHS --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> ad_utils.ad_queue.push({tile:'4',slot:'top_rhs'});</SCRIPT><IFRAME class=yesScript id=top_rhs name=top_rhs marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="/images/a/ifb/doubleclick/expand.html#imdb2.consumer.title/;tile=4;sz=300x250,300x600,160x600,171x600,11x1;p=tr;r=afc;k=p;g=brc;g=co;tt=f;coo=usa;k=c;id=tt0088850;ord=[CLIENT_SIDE_ORD]?" frameBorder=0 width=300 scrolling=no onload=ad_utils.resize_iframe(this) height=250 allowTransparency></IFRAME><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
<!-- End TOP_RHS -->advertisement

Brewster is a minor league baseball player. Unknown to him, he had a (recently deceased) rich relative. In order to test if Brewster knows the value of money, he is given the task of disposing of $30m in 30 days. Brewster isn't allowed to have any assets to show for the $30m or waste the money in any way. If successful, Brewster gets to inherit $300m. The biggest problem of all however, is that Brewster can't tell anyone what he's doing, so everyone thinks he's crazy. Add to this the fact that if he fails, two scheming trustees will get their hands on the money, Brewster's task is not an easy one. Written by Rob Hartill
Montgomery "Monty" Brewster is a baseball player who has going back and forth from the minors to the majors for nearly 15 years. After getting into a brawl in a bar, he and his friend end up in jail, his team has not only decided not bail him out but to cut him. At his hearing Monty doesn't know what to do but a man who has been following him for sometime appears in court and offers to pay his bail. Monty assumes that it's a baseball scout but when they arrive at where they were going, Monty is taken to a law office and informed that he is the sole heir of a man who is one of the richest men in the country, who is also his long lost uncle. His uncle's last will and testament is that Monty must spend 30 millions dollars in 30 days, if which he accomplishes, he will get 300 million. But at the end of 30 days he must not own anything. He also must not give the money away and must not destroy anything valuable and he also cannot tell anyone why he is spending all this money. He thinks that he's on his way to doing that but Spike unwittingly invests some of the money and recoups everything that Monty has spent. And he also doesn't exactly have the support of the lawyers, cause is he fails they take control of the estate and give themselves a healthy fee for ahndling it. And also a lot of people especially the woman he is attracted to, thinks he is jerk.

:cheers:cheers

I couldn't agree more....in all aspects of life.

i think it can go both ways...not everybody can accept change w/o hearing it and saying it themselves...yeah it would be a really great thing when we dont have to hear it b/c we as a country will have crossed this racism barrier...but i also think its a great thing to make stuff like this public to let the less fortunate people who may have certain racist thoughts and ideals know that these things are happening and that society is accepting and embracing it...i know there are those that have had their minds made up from day 1, but hopefully things like this could turn some people away from racism of any race...

I doin't know, Queb. IMO, the truly racist will be racist no matter what. Throwing the accomplishments of their "enemies" in their face just adds fuel to the fire. I say, those of us who really want equality for all just stat ignoring the extremes (on both sides) and just living what we preach. Lead by example and all that.

munson15

I want winners...

:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

I agree, Munson. How is everyone supposed to feel like we're all one coutry if we keep pointing out: "Hey, look what the black guy did!" Are we suprised? Dungy and Tomlin aren't just "black guys", they're great coaches. Everytime someone brings something like us, it sounds to me like: "Pretty good!.....For a black dude."

No offense to Quebbler. I know that's not why you started the thread. Just elaborating on Munson's post.
You certainly got the gist of what I was trying to say, and I appreciate you for that. It does seem a putdown sometimes, I hear it like you said, "pretty good....for a black dude." It's difficult to talk race and not be misunderstood, thanks. I think Quebb got it, too, we were just looking at it from a different angle than he was. Like he said, it's all good.:cheers

benny0420

EOG Dedicated

Tell that to the media. They are the organization that makes the biggest deal out of it.

You certainly got the gist of what I was trying to say, and I appreciate you for that. It does seem a putdown sometimes, I hear it like you said, "pretty good....for a black dude." It's difficult to talk race and not be misunderstood, thanks. I think Quebb got it, too, we were just looking at it from a different angle than he was. Like he said, it's all good.:cheers

Isn't it a beautiful thing when you can see things differently than someone without calling them a "fucking idiot"? :+textinb3

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

If it ain't the color of skin its Religion that will keep this world in a "peaceful
rhythm"

If someone doesn't want to be judged on their religious beliefs, they don't have to tell people about them. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for race. Sad.

munson15

I want winners...

Isn't it a beautiful thing when you can see things differently than someone without calling them a "fucking idiot"? :+textinb3
Absolutely, as long as a question is posed with an ounce of respect, most people will respond appropriately. I was reluctant to throw my .02 into this discussion, but Quebb was good about it, and I'm glad I got it off my chest. :cheers

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Americans today are a prime example of how fucked up the world is

Americans think they are sooooo much better than an Iranian or Iraqi

Bullshit: one was born here and the other over there .... both raised
in difft cultures with difft value systems

We saw in the 08 Presidential Election why it was so easy for Hitler to
manipulate a segment of the German society ... find an enemy and spread
lies daily and soon that lie becomes believable to the Non Thinking Masses
of Society

You don't even hear that TOMLIN is a black guy. They only talked about his age.

DOC RIVER'S coaches is Boston with the same results.

AS IT SHOULD BE!

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

You don't even hear that TOMLIN is a black guy. They only talked about his age.

DOC RIVER'S coaches is Boston with the same results.

AS IT SHOULD BE!

No Tony, you shouldn't even hear that TOMLIN is a black guy, and I agree that even the liberal media didn't obsess over the fact that TOMLIN is black, but the topic of the thread and the first post in this thread by QUEBB DIESEL does just that, thus the appropriate replies in this thread.

And since I am busting Munson's balls in the other thread, let me commend him on some fine replies in this thread!