Bushay's 2018-19 NHL thread

Bushay

NHL Expert
New year....time for a new thread.

Will post anything NHL-related here as the season progresses. Hopefully, I can be a bit more active this year.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: Bushay's 2018-19 NHL thread

Thanks for sharing, Bushay.

The 2018 NHL Entry Draft is a great place to start to prep for the upcoming season.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thirty-one teams in the NHL.

When are they going to expand to one more city?

Las Vegas was the first new team since 2000.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Looking at the history of NHL expansion, I was surprised to learn the "Original Six" teams in the NHL played for more than a quarter-century (1942-1967) before another six teams were added to the league, the largest expansion in professional sports history.

Original Six teams: Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Next Six: California Seals, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota North Stars, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins and St. Louis Blues.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Looks like the NHL was never concerned about symmetry when it came to the number of teams in the league.

From 6 to 12 to 14 to 16 to 18 to 17 to 21 (with the addition of four WHA teams) to 22 to 24 to 26 to 27 to 28 to 30 to 31.

Bushay

NHL Expert

Thirty-one teams in the NHL.

When are they going to expand to one more city?

Las Vegas was the first new team since 2000.

These are not my words but heres what I read.

The announcement will come as soon as everything is finalized and permits received. If things are on time and there isn't any EIS challenges it'll be september.

Will be the 2020 season. Thats what their shooting for. Anyone looking to follow further, this is a good thread. These guys were bang on about the Vegas situation too. If something new breaks, these guys are on top of it.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nhl-to-seattle-volume-xv-moving-the-expansion-needle.2476403/page-13

Bushay

NHL Expert

Looks like the NHL was never concerned about symmetry when it came to the number of teams in the league.

From 6 to 12 to 14 to 16 to 18 to 17 to 21 (with the addition of four WHA teams) to 22 to 24 to 26 to 27 to 28 to 30 to 31.
It's funny what you read from the casual observers sometimes. "They don't want to add a team in the West without adding one to the East" bullshit. If Bettman can add a team and it doesn't disrupt the league, all that talk is but pure speculation.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Vegas paid $500 in expansion fees.

Seattle is being asked to pay $650 million.

Bushay

NHL Expert

And Taveras is a Leaf.

seven-year, $77 million contract with Toronto

MrTop

EOG Master

i want to see then NHL to put in chips in uniforms so better stats could be put in and it would be easier to see who is on the ice.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

i want to see then NHL to put in chips in uniforms so better stats could be put in and it would be easier to see who is on the ice.

It makes too much sense which is why they won't do is. Commish Dumb Fuck is too stupid to enact this. How he got into the HOF is beyond me and countless others.

Bushay

NHL Expert

It makes too much sense which is why they won't do is. Commish Dumb Fuck is too stupid to enact this. How he got into the HOF is beyond me and countless others.
Might just be because of your low IQ's. No other explanation.

DrunkenGoon

EOG Dedicated

James Neal to Calgary 5 years at 5.75AAV

Poor signing for the Flames, they will regret this by the 2nd year

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I saw prices at William Hill on the Vegas Golden Knights at odds of 4/1 to repeat as Western Conference champs and 17/2 to capture the Cup.

MrTop

EOG Master

Might just be because of your low IQ's. No other explanation.

plus i don't want any more hard names to remember. Easy names like smith and johnson along with ruth or rose. NHL has names that don't even fit on the shirt.

sad

Bushay

NHL Expert

James Neal to Calgary 5 years at 5.75AAV

Poor signing for the Flames, they will regret this by the 2nd year
Why so negative?

Neal is a prolific goal scorer still and still only 30. And going to a team badly in need of someone who can find the back of the net. If he doesn't work out it's not like they cant trade him for the same type of value they signed him for. This should be an excellent fit on paper anyways. Much like when he went to Nashville, a team in need of a proven goal scorer. He'll be asked to play better defensively though. He more than likely will end up on a line with Johnny Hockey. If that happens his numbers could skyrocket.

Not following your reasoning here. Please explain.

Bushay

NHL Expert

Leafs are now favored to win the Cup. He's that big of a difference maker in hockey?
He's a pretty damn important player. Most of all I'd say he's pretty clutch.

But with Babcock at the help and the team finally on the right track. He's more than likely that big key piece every winning team needs. His pedigree is as good as anyone's in the league. They've had some other roster moves though so it may be a bit before they gell. He's definitely the real deal.

25+ years of no team from Canada winning a cup, there's going to be a lot of Canada behind this team come playoff time.

puckhandler

EOG Dedicated

He's a pretty damn important player. Most of all I'd say he's pretty clutch.

But with Babcock at the help and the team finally on the right track. He's more than likely that big key piece every winning team needs. His pedigree is as good as anyone's in the league. They've had some other roster moves though so it may be a bit before they gell. He's definitely the real deal.

25+ years of no team from Canada winning a cup, there's going to be a lot of Canada behind this team come playoff time.
Nobody outside Ontario will be pulling for the Maple Leafs in the playoffs.

Bushay

NHL Expert

Hard to find a team who shit on their fans worse than the Isles. First Long Island losses their team to Brooklyn and now lose their big draw to The hockey capitol of the world. Charles Wang would be on a dartboard in my room if I was a kid the last 20 years. And Mike Milbury certainly didn’t help either.

MrTop

EOG Master

Hard to find a team who shit on their fans worse than the Isles. First Long Island losses their team to Brooklyn and now lose their big draw to The hockey capitol of the world. Charles Wang would be on a dartboard in my room if I was a kid the last 20 years. And Mike Milbury certainly didn’t help either.

it all starts with the new stadium & sweet louie

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I have schlepped to Brooklyn the last three years while the Coliseum is five minutes from my office. Louie, Trotz and a great draft in addition to a partial return from Brooklyn and then Tavares lowers the boom. I'm paying for those four Cups in the 80's. At least I'm old enough to remember them.

Does anyone have William Hill's Stanley Cup odds for 18-19? Thanks!

Heim

EOG Master

So if TB gets Karlsson...Toronto would have gone from Stanley Cup favorite to dog to win their own division in a week.

Bushay

NHL Expert

So if TB gets Karlsson...Toronto would have gone from Stanley Cup favorite to dog to win their own division in a week.
I’d have to agree with that before hearing what TB gave up in getting Karlsson. Karlsson a bigger get than the Leafs picking up Tavares. Though Toronto didn’t give up anything and TB did.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

He barely played last year in Toronto, but was very effective playing with Clutterbuck and Cizikas as their fourth line in NY. Greater person than player. When he left for Toronto two years ago he continued his charitable foundation work on Long Island. He didn't have to do that. Could have tweeted us his Maple Leaf bedsheets and said goodbye.

VegasVic

EOG Addicted

Does anyone have William Hill's Stanley Cup odds for 18-19? Thanks!

I don’t have a William Hill app but I can tell you Stations has them at 40/1 and Westgate at 80/1. I’m guessing WH will be closer to Westgate’s opinion.

Sorry these numbers are for the Islanders. I misread your post.

VegasVic

EOG Addicted

Westgate:

Tampa Bay........7/1
Vegas...............10/1
Nashville...........10/1
Pittsburgh..........12/1
Winnipeg............10/1
Boston................12/1
Toronto..............8/1
Washington .......10/1
Columbus...........25/1
Edmonton ..........20/1
Philadelphia........25/1
San Jose............20/1
Dallas................25/1
Anaheim............25/1
Calgary .............30/1
Florida................30/1
Los Angeles.........25/1
Minnesota...........30/1
Chicago..............30/1
St Louis..............30/1
Colorado.............40/1
New Jersey..........40/1
NY Islanders........80/1
Carolina..............80/1
Vancouver...........80/1
Montreal.............100/1
NY Rangers..........80/1
Buffalo...............100/1
Phoenix...............100/1
Ottawa...............200/1
Detroit................200/1

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

Thanks Vic. Edmonton and Calgary seem low, like some guy from Alberta came with cash. The East is loaded so I would probably look at the best of the West... Winnipeg. I think they will have a better shot of getting to the Finals. Tremendous firepower.

VegasVic

EOG Addicted

Somewhat hockey related....Phil Kessel, playing a PLO bounty tourney, makes a staring role in Daniel Negreanu’s WSOP vlog. Start at the 5:55 mark.