Can the Indiana Pacers win a title now?

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
We were a nice shot last year although I think Miller was to slow and before the brawl. Anyhow, now that we don't have the old man and the guys are back and likely not going to prison, do we have a shot?

Bettor days

EOG Dedicated
i think this is the team i fear the most in the east. certainly have a great shot of taking out my heat with artest in there... i hate ron artest. but the boy could ball.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Pacers given probation, fines

Pacers given probation, fines

indystar.com

ROCHESTER HILLS, MI -- District court judge Julie Nicholson sentenced Indiana Pacers Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson to a year of probation, 60 hours of community service and fined them $250 each after they pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery charges Friday.

The charges stem from the brawl with Detroit Pistons fans at the Palace of Auburn Hills last November.

O'Neal and Jackson also must undergo anger management counseling. Artest met that requirement earlier as part of his reinstatement to the NBA.

"Like it or not, you are considered a role model," Nicholson told the players. "You have an obligation to behave appropriately."

A no-contest plea is not an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing.

"I was satisfied with the decision," Oakland County assistant prosecutor John Pietrofesa said. "They wanted to move forward and put the incident behind them. Hopefully they'll do the community service with children."

The community service will be split between Michigan and Indiana.

Before leaving with teammates in a stretch limousine, O'Neal said he doesn't mind doing community service.

"I really get into it," he said. "I've lived the life that many of those kids live. I guess community service just comes easy for me."

He called the brawl "a regrettable situation."

Charlie Haddad, Burt, Mich., attended Friday's hearing and sentencing. Haddad was one of the Pistons fans who ran onto the court and was involved in the fight with Pacers players. In March, he was sentenced to two years of probation and 100 hours of community service for his role in the brawl.

He asked the court why his sentence was more severe than the players and added that his life has "been horrible" since the brawl.

"I thought I was the victim," he said.

<!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR -->

Indy will be tough, but they will not get past Miami in the East. However it should be a great Eastern Conference Finals.

SB