Celtic Great Bill Russell Dead at 88

boston massacre

EOG Master
I've only seen video of him in action, but you are spot on. Who would he guard back then? Mel Counts, Walt Bellamy? Yes compared
to them, he was a man amongst boys.

One of the greatest centers ever. Not even top three, plus give me Wilt any day in that era.

P.S. Russell was a complete dick to the press and would never sign autographs.

plus give me Wilt any day in that era.

Strange Comment.

You Like The Loser Over The Winner.

Can't Remember The Song.

But The Lyrics Were, Strange Days Indeed.

13 Seasons/11 Championships.

This Guy Likes The 16 Seasons/2 Championships.

Yes.

Strange Days Indeed.

MrTop

EOG Master
Played Against Other Countries In All Olympics.

Impossible To Miss.

you had the blacks in your own country in baseball and you did not let them play.

you did not let latin players play . they were always there

many players do not play in Olympics.

olajawan did not play baskets till 15. He was in soccer.

boston massacre

EOG Master
Name me one guy on the Sixers that played with Wilt? How he won one was amazing.

When he got on a team it didn't take long with that 71-72 Laker squad.

Name me one guy on the Sixers that played with Wilt? How he won one was amazing.

You Serious ?

Thought You Knew Hoops.

WoW !

I'll Tell You Who Wilt Played With On His 1967 Championship Team.

Hal Greer 22.1 ppg

Chet Walker 19.3 ppg

Billy Cunningham 18.5 ppg

Here's A Couple More.

Wali Jones 13.2 ppg

Luke Jackson 12.0 ppg

Last edited:

boston massacre

EOG Master
you had the blacks in your own country in baseball and you did not let them play.

baseball

I'm Talking Basketball

boston massacre

EOG Master

Chance To Showcase Your Talent Against U.S.A. On International Stage.

If You Want To Play Against The Best, You Have To Show You Can Compete Against The Best.

If You're Good Enough, Doesn't Matter Where You Play, They'll Find You.

Impossible To Miss Talent, Regardless Where They Play.

boston massacre

EOG Master
akeem played baskets

No Shit Sherlock.

He Started Playing Baskets At 15 . It Has Absolutely Nothing To Do With The United States Of America.

What Are You Doing Adding Baseball.

Bill Russell Played Basketball.

MrTop

EOG Master
No Shit Sherlock.

He Started Playing Baskets At 15 . It Has Absolutely Nothing To Do With The United States Of America.

What Are You Doing Adding Baseball.

Bill Russell Played Basketball.

so you are wrong again and you don't want to admit it

Heim

EOG Master
plus give me Wilt any day in that era.

Strange Comment.

You Like The Loser Over The Winner.

Can't Remember The Song.

But The Lyrics Were, Strange Days Indeed.

13 Seasons/11 Championships.

This Guy Likes The 16 Seasons/2 Championships.

Yes.

Strange Days Indeed.

I see what your saying those rings.....then give me Robert Horry over Barkley any
day and night. lol

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Robert Horry literally and figuratively was in the right place at the right time.

He won championships with the Spurs, Lakers and Rockets.

"Big Shot Bob" was one of the first "3-and-D" guys that I remember, though Michael Cooper may have been the first.

Horry has seven NBA rings.

But I see your point, HEIM.

boston massacre

EOG Master
I see what your saying those rings.....then give me Robert Horry over Barkley any
day and night. lol

Played On 3 Different Teams To Get Them.

Russell Couldn't Move.

Had To Stay Put With Celtics.

Couldn't Shop Around For Best Opportunity To Win Ring.

Today's Superstars Can Shop Around, Team Up, To Win Ring.

With All That Said, None Of Today's Super Stars Have Been Able To Reach The Championship Success That Bill Russell Had.

Karl Malone.

19 Seasons.

Zero Rings.

Great Player.

boston massacre

EOG Master
day and night. lol

I see what your saying those rings..

You Want The All Star, Who Puts Up The Dominating Big Numbers Every Night , Regardless Of Team Success.

As Opposed To The All Star , Whose Team Is A Top Contender Every Year To Win The Championship.

boston massacre

EOG Master
day and night. lol

LeBron James.

Going Into Season Number 20.

Has Shopped Himself Around, In Addition To Recruiting The Top Talent To Join Him, So That His Season Ends With A Championship, And Still, Cannot Come Close To Russell's Championship Numbers, During His 13 Seasons In The League.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
anyone here ever seen him play?

couldn't have been too hard to win a ring in a playoff system with 4 teams

anyone know how many Hall of Famers were on celtics when Russell was a rookie?

talk about super teams

boston massacre

EOG Master
again, it was really is hard for a league to win against a team of 5-7 hall of famers
5-7 hall of famers

And How Many Do They Win Without Russell ?

I'll Show You How Those Hall of Famers Did While They Were Playing For The Championship In 1958 WITHOUT Russell.

1659488662523.png

Playoff Series: 1958 NBA Finals vs St. Louis Hawks

Injury: Ankle sprain in Game 3

He has more rings than anyone in the history of the sport, winning 11 titles for the Boston Celtics. What's even crazier is he could have had one more championship added to his collection during the 1957-58 season. It was a rematch of the 1957 finals between the St. Louis Hawks and Boston Celtics. The series was tied 1-1 when Russell rolled on his ankle in Game 3. He would miss the next two games and when he did come back, he wasn’t the same player. The Hawks would win the NBA Finals in six games and it would be their only championship to date.

5-7 Hall Of Famers Couldn't Win The Championship, Because They Didn't Have Russell.

kane

EOG master
The NBA is retiring the number 6 in honor of Bill Russell, what an incredible and well deserved honor for an amazing player and person

kane

EOG master
In addition, every player will wear a #6 patch on their jersey, good job by the league and Adam Silver

kane

EOG master
Players already wearing # 6, like LeBron, will be grandfathered in, which makes sense, but how cool would it be if the players currently wearing that number all decided to stop this year and change their number, that would be a really cool thing to see happen, and it could all start with LeBron, if he came out and said out of respect for Bill Russell he would no longer wear 6, pretty good chance the others would follow his lead, and he might even get applause when he plays in Boston, okay probably not, but it would be a great thing if it happened

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Horrible idea.
Too many numbers are retired already-Yankees may need three digits soon. But the notion of retiring a number from somebody from a RIVAL team is not right. You can pay tribute to Russell (or Dr. J) by wearing six, but rivals having to honor Russell, who had a lot of dickhead in him, for perpetuity, sucks.
Baseball did that with Jackie Robinson- that was a horrible idea too.
Both players have pluses and minuses. Jackie, as a player , was very comparable to Pete Rose. Retire Pete’s # for all teams?! Hell, he’s banned!
💯 if they were white they wouldn’t do the league-wide number retirement. Nor should they. It’s a horrible idea.
As Bill Russell said once doing his CBS in-game ‘analysis’;
“Mnta blmph anyo tryx asbello”
Russell was always praised for his keen analysis, but it was extremely hard to understand him. In his last few years, Russell was Joe Biden’s speech coach.

kane

EOG master
if they were white they wouldn’t do the league-wide number retirement.
No shit, the reason for Jackie's number being retired is due to him being the first black player, so yes you're correct, if he was white his number isn't retired by MLB, brilliant observation. As far as Russell goes, I won't even comment on your smearing of him, I'm just glad the league is honoring him the way they are

railbird

EOG Master
high school and college hofs are the worst, total morons voting and nothing matters what you did in school, its who donates the most