Chargers Have A Tough Call (Re: Phillip Rivers)

Heim

EOG Master
He was admittedly horrible last night. An unrestricted FA next season. It's really a tough call.

IMO I don't think you can afford to let him go. He is the face of the franchise plus moving into a new venue.

There is already lukewarm support for the team. How many seat licenses are you going to sell
with Tyrod Taylor at Qb?

Last edited by a moderator:

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
Sign him to a team friendly deal, got 2 more decent O-linemen and they will be competing for the Super Bowl.

Team is stacked.

4-6 could be 7-3 with a less bad luck

Heim

EOG Master
I thought it was primed for a FG win by LAC. Then Rivers went 0/8 on that final drive...

In defense of Rivers.....the play calling was atrocious. Those were tough passes to complete with guys hanging all over him all night. The middle
of the field was open yet new OC preferred 20-25 yard sideline patterns.

In defense of Rivers.....the play calling was atrocious. Those were tough passes to complete with guys hanging all over him all night. The middle
of the field was open yet new OC preferred 20-25 yard sideline patterns.
True but I'd expect a vet QB to checkdown if it wasn't wide open to the under routes with 3 timeouts in his pocket. That drive was bad all around

Valuist

EOG Master
He was awful yesterday. Three INTs that counted, two more wiped out by penalties, and a possible 6th just flat out dropped by the Raider DB.

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
Sign him to a team friendly deal, got 2 more decent O-linemen and they will be competing for the Super Bowl.

Team is stacked.

4-6 could be 7-3 with a less bad luck

Chargers seem to always have bad luck. It got worse when they left SD. Team needs new start, new city. St. Louis maybe.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
My lasting memory of Philip Rivers: Chargers trail by more than a field goal and less than a touchdown late in the fourth quarter and he's throwing sidearm passes off his back foot while under heavy pressure.

Happened in a lot of games from 2004 to 2019.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
says he moved to be closer to family. i love these bs excuses. you are a pro athlete with 9 kids. suddenly when your career is over you move closer to your parents/in laws (not sure which in this case) to make it look like you are a family man.

is there a team in florida playing in the xfl?

kane

EOG master
says he moved to be closer to family. i love these bs excuses. you are a pro athlete with 9 kids. suddenly when your career is over you move closer to your parents/in laws (not sure which in this case) to make it look like you are a family man.

is there a team in florida playing in the xfl?

The Tampa Bay Vipers

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Philip Rivers is the answer to a tough trivia question.

Name the only college football player to win an MVP award in five bowl games.

Rivers won the MVP at the Senior Bowl in 2004.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
He only needs the money if his wife spends it all. Smart to have 9 kids to keep the old lady at home taking care of them and not at social functions spending a fortune on outfits and accessories.

Probably half the highly paid pro athletes make their official residences in FL or TX to avoid paying income tax. Its not just tax on salaries, those are unavoidable and depend on where your games are played, but these guys with serious money make a lot off of investments, dividends and such. Those are what really add up on the tax bill and can be 100% avoided as long as you properly set yourself up as a resident of these states.

cheapseats

EOG Master
He can put 185 days in Florida as a resident and play in CA and be considered a Florida resident thereby circumventing many CA liberal taxes. Texas, Hawaii, Nevada, same concept.

Heim

EOG Master
Jeremy Fowler of ESPN shared that NFL executives believe the Colts will explore the idea of signing Rivers this offseason, per
Locked on Colts Podcast, which noted the connection Rivers has with Colts head coach Frank Reich and his coordinator, Nick Sirianni.

Biff41

EOG Dedicated
Rivers is likely in with the Scripps Ranch scene. Luxery houses going up 10% a year. Agree with other posters that Rivers isnt the main problem....coaching and play calling seems an issue although Rivers is at retirement age and Chargers need to look in new directions...thats just reality. 49ers are showing teams can still win with running and good defense but really; how long is that going to last..? One other note, per Cheapseats, Rivers moving to Miami...https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news/chargers-philip-rivers-moves-family-from-san-diego

Last edited:

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
IMO the Colts are worth a long shot flier to win the next SB

If they snagged either Brees, Brady or Rivers they would move toward the top of the list of contenders.

I believe they still have a top of cap space, can still improve the roster other than QB