Coach fired after not apologizing for 100-0 win

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Re: Coach fired after not apologizing for 100-0 win

What if i made the point that you would be disrespecting them MORE to NOT bring your A game?

Rememer the movie color of money? Tom Cruise's character felt sorry for the old man (Paul Newman) so he took it easy on him. When Newman found out that Cruise dumped he got mad and said i want your A game, don't take it easy on me.
LOL. Remember the same movie when Forrest Whitacre's character beat Newman's ass? I bet Paul wished that Whitacre had given him his B Game then. Off the subject,do you remember Forest Whitacre in Fast Times at Ridgemont High? That was classic.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

I skipped most of this thread, but what are you supposed to do once you are up 20-0? If you do not want to run the score, do you just stand there and dribble the ball until the shot clock runs out and play defense the rest of the game? I agree with the point that this game should never have been scheduled, but shouldnt the one team have just forfeited at the half? Or did their coach give them the pep talk and make them think they had a chance?
20 to ZIP, no. 50 to ZIP? Yes. And a forfeit may have kept the teams from playing down the road, so I think they could have found a way to not be so cruel running up the score, don't you?

20 to ZIP, no. 50 to ZIP? Yes. And a forfeit may have kept the teams from playing down the road, so I think they could have found a way to not be so cruel running up the score, don't you?
I do, but they had over 50 points by half time. I would just like to know what you do for the entire 2nd half of the game?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I skipped most of this thread, but what are you supposed to do once you are up 20-0? If you do not want to run the score, do you just stand there and dribble the ball until the shot clock runs out and play defense the rest of the game? I agree with the point that this game should never have been scheduled, but shouldnt the one team have just forfeited at the half? Or did their coach give them the pep talk and make them think they had a chance?

If you schedule a game like this, its going to end up 100-0. Athletes are trained to play hard. If my coach told me before the game, "dont play hard, just jerk around" i would want to question why i'm even at this school in the first place.

its not fair to the kids on the winning team that the school scheduled such a ridiculous mismatch. All these kids know is one thing...play your heart out.

Its not up to the coach or the kids to determine when they need to not try as hard.

Remember, its not about winning, its how you play the game.

If this team stopped playing with the big lead and they were just soft tossing the ball trying to run out the clock, that behavior says "winning is the most important thing and since we've 'won' the game, lets change how we were playing"

its all so ridiculous.

I think the people who are arguing that the team should have not run up the score have not come up with a solution as to what should have been done instead. I'm defending the coach and saying the school and the head of the school need to man the fuck up and take some responsibility here. The head of this school is just as responsible for this 100-0 game as the coach.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

I think the people who are arguing that the team should have not run up the score have not come up with a solution as to what should have been done instead. I'm defending the coach and saying the school and the head of the school need to man the fuck up and take some responsibility here. The head of this school is just as responsible for this 100-0 game as the coach.

man i'm shocked you still don't get it... the biggest problem most people have in this case is the coach running a full court press up by 80. i already gave you a comparable situation... no way a mlb baseball team is stealing bases up 25-0 in the eighth inning, you just don't do it!

once again, the score is not what should bring ridicule on the coach, it's the manner in which the score was achieved... show some gd respect for yourself and the other team and play the second half with some class. empty your bench and run your halfcourt offense and defense, there really should be no question about this.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

man i'm shocked you still don't get it... the biggest problem most people have in this case is the coach running a full court press up by 80. i already gave you a comparable situation... no way a mlb baseball team is stealing bases up 25-0 in the eighth inning, you just don't do it!

once again, the score is not what should bring ridicule on the coach, it's the manner in which the score was achieved... show some gd respect for yourself and the other team and play the second half with some class. empty your bench and run your halfcourt offense and defense, there really should be no question about this.

Ditto.

Okay, from someone that coached youth sports for years. If you are playing your normal game and you have a 50-0 lead and you aren't down to the end of your bench, you are a shit. You should have been playing the deep part of your bench alot earlier than that. If you are playing deep and the kids are playing within the normal framework of your offense to run clock and you happen to score 100 using alot of clock and no 3's then it is up to the other team to stop your team.

But this clown put a press on until there were less than 4 minutes left and had his girls bombing away from 3pt range. That is a joke, he is a joke, and I am disappointed that no girl stood up to him and said come on coach enough is enough.

He should have been fired and banned from coaching HS for a minimum of a year with classes on coaching mandatory as well as probation.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

Okay, from someone that coached youth sports for years. If you are playing your normal game and you have a 50-0 lead and you aren't down to the end of your bench, you are a shit. You should have been playing the deep part of your bench alot earlier than that. If you are playing deep and the kids are playing within the normal framework of your offense to run clock and you happen to score 100 using alot of clock and no 3's then it is up to the other team to stop your team.

But this clown put a press on until there were less than 4 minutes left and had his girls bombing away from 3pt range. That is a joke, he is a joke, and I am disappointed that no girl stood up to him and said come on coach enough is enough.

He should have been fired and banned from coaching HS for a minimum of a year with classes on coaching mandatory as well as probation.

:cheers

I just checked in and have not read this thread. I believe he was fired for logging onto the school's website--where the administration had already posted an apology--and stating that he did not agree with the apology. So, in essence, he was fired for insubordination, not a refusal to apologize. In any event, I see a lawsuit being filed, though I don't think the coach can win. . .

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

I had to finally respond to this thread but have never been a coach before only a fan of sports for years.

There are a couple things wrong here in my opinion.

1) The athletic director of this shitty team should not be scheduling this game nor I assume most of the others played over the last 4 years. I'm all for providing the girls an avenue to compete but not having a win in 4 years tells me there a little in over their heads. So, there's strike 1 before the game even starts.

2) After the first quarter it was obvious this wasn't going to go well. I say we start bringing in the bench and working the offensive sets a little. No press or traps or anything like that.

3) At halftime it's time to completely empty the bench. I might even ask the coach of the other team if he wants to call it a game. This is dangerous as he might take offense but who cares.

4) The girls are going to compete. All you can do as a coach is give strict guidance not to press or shoot from long range. What they do on the court is what they do but if they do it I would bench them immediately.

5) There was a quote from a mother of a player talking about pressing and 3 pointers. Take that quote and shove it. It's a mom not a fan and she might not know what the hell she was talking about. Maybe there wasn't a press or maybe some girl shot a 3 when she wasn't supposed to but to base your decision on this matter from a mother is ridiculous.

Bottom line, I would not want to forfeit either if and only if you did everything possible not to pour it on and make a mockery of your opponent. If you can look in the mirror and say you did everything you could then I wouldn't want to forfeit or apologize either. If you were being an ass then you should be unemployed.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

I had to finally respond to this thread but have never been a coach before only a fan of sports for years.

There are a couple things wrong here in my opinion.

1) The athletic director of this shitty team should not be scheduling this game nor I assume most of the others played over the last 4 years. I'm all for providing the girls an avenue to compete but not having a win in 4 years tells me there a little in over their heads. So, there's strike 1 before the game even starts.

2) After the first quarter it was obvious this wasn't going to go well. I say we start bringing in the bench and working the offensive sets a little. No press or traps or anything like that.

3) At halftime it's time to completely empty the bench. I might even ask the coach of the other team if he wants to call it a game. This is dangerous as he might take offense but who cares.

4) The girls are going to compete. All you can do as a coach is give strict guidance not to press or shoot from long range. What they do on the court is what they do but if they do it I would bench them immediately.

5) There was a quote from a mother of a player talking about pressing and 3 pointers. Take that quote and shove it. It's a mom not a fan and she might not know what the hell she was talking about. Maybe there wasn't a press or maybe some girl shot a 3 when she wasn't supposed to but to base your decision on this matter from a mother is ridiculous.

Bottom line, I would not want to forfeit either if and only if you did everything possible not to pour it on and make a mockery of your opponent. If you can look in the mirror and say you did everything you could then I wouldn't want to forfeit or apologize either. If you were being an ass then you should be unemployed.

The only point I disagree with is #3. Learning is a process and whether you are up or down by a large margin there is no reason to give up and forfeit.
Albeit the coach of the winning team needs to empty his bench early and I am sure that his least talented player was better than the other teams best player. The winning coach should have apologized and would still have his job.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Remember, its not about winning, its how you play the game.

If this team stopped playing with the big lead and they were just soft tossing the ball trying to run out the clock, that behavior says "winning is the most important thing and since we've 'won' the game, lets change how we were playing"

its all so ridiculous.

I disagree. Sports is ultimately about life. There are always exceptions to the norm. Any team up 20 to ZIP early can see the direction of a game here. I am not a dictator so I will not pretend to dictate to others who are as qualified or more qualified to judge the situation than I am. But, (and this is a big but), being that they are qualified in coaching sports AND life, these coaches have to use common sense. If that means telling your players to slow the game down or to not take wide open threes, so be it. In life, we have to assess the situation and remember the Golden Rule. To do unto others as we would have done unto us. I would not be a part of any game, or have my child participate in any game where one side is so obviously beaten and still, pour on the misery. Once again, what kind of example are we setting when we endorse negative behavior like this. Conversely, the coach that shows empathy for his/her opponent and shows compassion in victory is the kind of man or woman I want teaching my kid(s). Spout all the platitudes you want, we all know what the right thing to do is, just that sometimes, hell, most of the time, the right thing is often the hardest thing to do. And Lord knows, anyone associated with coaching nowadays knows that dealing with parents is like a quagmire that tries to suck you down. I tell parents every week that we need to set a good example and show your children and all of the children, including the opposition's children, that doing the right thing and acting right are not mutually exclusive. Love the kids and support the coaches without being oppressively judgmental. In summation, it is much better to do the right thing and show compassion and love in setting an example than it is to maybe be 'somehow correct' and being completely wrong by setting a terrible example.

Bugman

EOG Dedicated

Ok, I read the whole thread. I have coached youth my entire life & I most agree with this reply. :cheers

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

The only point I disagree with is #3. Learning is a process and whether you are up or down by a large margin there is no reason to give up and forfeit.
Albeit the coach of the winning team needs to empty his bench early and I am sure that his least talented player was better than the other teams best player. The winning coach should have apologized and would still have his job.

Kid, you're missing my point in that the only way he should have apologized is if he didn't do everything in his power not to run up the score against his opponent.

If he didn't do everything possible then yes an apology is necessary here but unless I was at that game I can't judge here.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

You people are sick.

And twisted.

I feel sorry for some of you, i really do.

I'll pray for you at night.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Kid, you're missing my point in that the only way he should have apologized is if he didn't do everything in his power not to run up the score against his opponent.

If he didn't do everything possible then yes an apology is necessary here but unless I was at that game I can't judge here.

What about a full court press up 80-0? Thats where my problem is.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

What about a full court press up 80-0? Thats where my problem is.

I agree with you but if and only if this even happened. Like I said earlier, the quotes I read were from a mom of the losing team so what does that tell me? If they were pressing up 25-0 I'd have a problem with it.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The problem is not the coach or the players on the winning team playing 'too hard'. The problem stems from carding such an incredible mismatch in the first place.

Why wasn't this losing team playing someone in their stratosphere?

And, if the winning team's president is so concerned about good sportsmanship and not embarrassing the losing team, why did they put two teams on the floor that were 100 points apart?

Where was the common sense?

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

He's a coach, not a scheduler. As a coach, he's paid to coach. He's paid to get his players to play hard for the entire game. Its not his responsibility that the other team's coach didn't know how to defend his team or score points. Seems like the other guy should be fired for incompetence.

This is one of the problems in society, too many pussies out there who want to take it easy on the other guys.

People getting fired for doing their job TOO WELL is absolutely insane.

What's this world coming to.

Cmon Falmingo. The guy is up 80-0 and still pressing? You call this being a pussy by not understanding it? If you were coaching against me and up 80-0 and still pressing i would have had a fan run out and buy me a Flamingo suit. Walked over and kicked u in the nuts ,put the costume on u, and taking a bat and chase u all around the gym.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Cmon Falmingo. The guy is up 80-0 and still pressing? You call this being a pussy by not understanding it? If you were coaching against me and up 80-0 and still pressing i would have had a fan run out and buy me a Flamingo suit. Walked over and kicked u in the nuts ,put the costume on u, and taking a bat and chase u all around the gym.
Now that's funny and true.:+textinb3:+textinb3:+textinb3:+textinb3:+textinb3:+textinb3

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

After the media gets finished with these girls who lost, they might end up thanking this fired coach. Heck i can see them all on Ellen pretty soon with their new laptop computers. Did i get that right? Ellen?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

LOL

If you don't want to get 'run out of town' by 100 pts, play better.

If you don't want to lose by 100, play better.

But there does become a point where you are 'running up the score' and disrespecting the other team you just beat up and down the court, so that they will wait for you outside in the parking lot after the game with big dudes who are their family/posse and kick the shit out of you....just sayin'

Like I said; it all depends on how you look at respect. I would find it more disrespectful for a team to say: "You're not worth our full effort." Now, if the winning team was playing dirty and taunting the other team, then they should get their asses kicked in the parking lot. Could the coach have eased up a little? Sure...but what does that teach his kids. He's spent all year telling them to leave it all out on the court, now he's supposed to add a "unless it might hurt the other team's feelings" clause? Sorry, I don't agree. I don't think he should have been fired and I don't think he has anything to apologize for.

Sports ethicists have spoken and they say "when a game gets out of hand, it's the winning coach's job to adjust."

The trick, Westbury coach Reed Sutton says, is to find games within the game to keep your players involved without running up the score. "The challenge is how you can keep the score down and make your kids feel like they're getting better and not make the other team think that you're being condescending,"