Coaching 101 Question???

It happened last night during the Air Force & Colorado State Football game.

With just under a minute to go before halftime, Air Force led Colorado State 9-7.

Then, Colorado State scores a TOUCHDOWN with 19 seconds remaining to go up by 4, 13-9...

Rather than kicking the EXTRA POINT to virtually assure themselves a 5 point (14-9) lead, Colorado State goes for the 2 point conversion (which obviously would have put them up by 6), but misses...

The outcome really isn't relevant because they could have made the 2 point conversion as well...

However, If YOU were the COACH, what would YOU have done in the exact same situation and more importanty WHY?

Although I am no Coach, I believe I have the RIGHT ANSWER to this situation but will wait to hear from some of our prodigies before chiming in...

Thanks,

THE SHRINK

Sam Odom

EOG Master
4 is virtually the same as 5, 2 FGs will still beat you besides, most coaches have a chart telling when to go for 2 or 1 depending on the score, its automatic.

dirty

EOG Master
I was trying to pick Lubbick's Brain last night on this decision.....I honestly Belive he went for 2 believing that Air Force Couldn't score a TD against his Defense and even if they did Not more than one....he figured they would score and AF would have to make 2 FG's to even Tie the Game.

Like Sam Said no Difference in 4 or 5 point lead at any point in the game.

The Chances of AF making 2 more FG's without a Mishap was lessening as well the way they were having Trouble with the snaps and Holds

Just my redneck opinion

Hitman26

EOG Veteran
I don't go for it. I would go up by five. Yes, 2 fg's beat you but, if A F were to score a TD and go up by one, then they would, more times than not, go for 2 to try to get up by 3. If they miss it, a fg would win the game for you, if not then a fg ties. If it was 4th quarter, I would for sure kick the extra point becasue the chances are greatly diminished that AF will kick 2 fgs to win the game.

You only want to go for it when it actually matter. At that time it doesn't really matter. I don't hold much to those charts. But as soon as you miss one you are forcing yourself into having to score an extra time usually.

If they go up 5 instead of six, WHEN they are down 8 THEN go for it. Why take a proactive stance with 30 minutes of football left? Doesn't make sense to me, and never will. Obviously if you have money riding on it you want them to do anything to get the cover. Like when Holgrem went for it one time when it didn't make sense only to the spread (they missed it of course) but in terms of the game it didn't matter, just the spread.

On a side note you noticed how many teams have done very well in the first half only to meltdown in the second half in these ESPN games?