Colin Powelll Opposed The Surge

Powell Opposed The Surge

How's this for "impeccable credentials":

-- Opposed finishing off Saddam in 1991.

-- Went to the UN and told the world Saddam had WMD.

-- After Iraq turned into a disaster, opposed the surge.

Did Powell call for Iraq to be divided into three countries like his good buddy Joe Biden did?

::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::

If we had listened to clowns like Biden, Powell and Obama and had it not been for the heroic courage of Gen Petraeus and John McCain, Iraq would have turned into an al-Qaida bloodbath.

Folks, the only guy with a worse FP record than Colin Powell is Joe Biden!

This endorsement will not only fade quickly, it's ALREADY faded.

As if you didn't know already...

DEMOCRATS CANNOT BE TRUSTED WITH NATIONAL SECURITY!!

Spytheweb

EOG Addicted
Re: Colin Powelll Opposed The Surge

Phuck the surge and John McCain. McCain has been in congress for 26 years and now he wants change? Why? His lobbyist checks aren't big enough? It's hard to change when you're 72. For 26 years things have been fine, but now it's all about change?

Osan AB, Korea 1976-1977, 1980-1983.

mr merlin

EOG Master

Wasn't it Powell who convinced Bush the elder to end the first gulf war after that slaughter on the road out of kuwait city? If we had continued the war just a couple more days we would have weakened Saddam enough that the uprisings afterward might have succeeded - perhaps the dimwit Powell is responsible for the current Iraq war in more ways than one?

Powell has demonstrated by his telling grasp of strategy--as well as his grasp of mideast political reality--that he has more competence in one of his little fingers than all of the sycophantic yes-men gofers who currently kow-tow to the buffoon and his regent Cheney, combined. . .I welcome his testimony before the grand jury. . .

Spin it righty's... Colin was your boy until he decided to tell John McCain...:finger007-1

I truly LOVE this... First McCain picks an absolute JOKE of a VP candidate and then gets told to go to hell by one of the most respected men in this nation... It doesn't get any better than this...

mr merlin

EOG Master

Please explain why Powell is "one of the most respected men"? Other than being a light skinned black who defies typical black stereotypes of course.

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

Wasn't it Powell who convinced Bush the elder to end the first gulf war after that slaughter on the road out of kuwait city? If we had continued the war just a couple more days we would have weakened Saddam enough that the uprisings afterward might have succeeded - perhaps the dimwit Powell is responsible for the current Iraq war in more ways than one?

i always thought it was dick cheney (secretary of defense 89-93) that convinced bush not to change the iraqi government. i think he used the phrase "quagmire" in describing what the results of such a change would bring.

mr merlin

EOG Master

i always thought it was dick cheney (secretary of defense 89-93) that convinced bush not to change the iraqi government. i think he used the phrase "quagmire" in describing what the results of such a change would bring.
It wasn't up to us at that time, if we had continued the war for a few more days we would have destroyed most of the republican guard that managed to escape. Without them Hussein might not have been able to put down the northern and southern uprisings - hence my statement the Colin Powell might possibly be responsible for the current situation.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

Phuck the surge and John McCain. McCain has been in congress for 26 years and now he wants change? Why? His lobbyist checks aren't big enough? It's hard to change when you're 72. For 26 years things have been fine, but now it's all about change?

Osan AB, Korea 1976-1977, 1980-1983.
Spytheweb: I I missed you by a wee bit at Osan, I was Skivvy-Nine, the 6903rd ESG, 1985-1986. Many hot women over there!:cheers

roscoe

EOG Veteran

It wasn't up to us at that time, if we had continued the war for a few more days we would have destroyed most of the republican guard that managed to escape. Without them Hussein might not have been able to put down the northern and southern uprisings - hence my statement the Colin Powell might possibly be responsible for the current situation.

On January 12, 1991 the United States Congress authorized the use of military force to drive Iraq out of Kuwait. The votes were 52-47 in the U.S. Senate and 250-183 in the U.S. House of Representatives. These were the closest margins in authorizing force by the Congress since the War of 1812. Soon after, the other states in the coalition also followed suit. colin powell did all he was authorized to do!

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

i still think it was powell's boss at the time, dick cheney, secretary of defense then, vp now, that was responsible of the decision for not supporting the uprisings at that time because he felt that a "quagmire"
would take place. i doubt powell had carte blanche in any of the decisions after the iraqi army was defeated, and i doubt powell had little if any influence over cheney's decisions.

Military medals and ribbons

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD><TD>Defense Distinguished Service Medal (with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters)</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD><TD>Distinguished Service Medal, Army (with Oak Leaf Cluster)</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Defense Superior Service Medal</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD><TD>Legion of Merit (with Oak Leaf Cluster)</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Soldier's Medal</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Bronze Star</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Purple Heart</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Air Medal</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Joint Service Commendation Medal</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD><TD>Army Commendation Medal (with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters)</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Presidential Medal of Freedom (order of precedence, if worn)</TD></TR><TR><TD>no image</TD><TD>Presidential Citizens Medal (order of precedence, if worn)</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD><TD>National Defense Service Medal (with 1 Bronze Service Star)</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD><TD>Vietnam Service Medal (with 1 Silver Service Star)</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Army Service Ribbon</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Army Overseas Service Ribbon (with numeral 3)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

But of course Joe with his extensive military service knows better.

One thing needs to be understood. Colin Powell, as chairman of the JCS, had ZERO strategic or tactical input into the course of the American action in Desert Storm.

Desert Storm was conducted under UN Security Council Resolution 678. This resolution placed a deadline on Iraq to withdraw from Kuwait by 15 January 1991 and authorized members of the United Nations in cooperation with the Government of Kuwait to use "all necessary means to uphold and implement" United Nations Security Council Resolution 660.

That was it, nothing more... Expel Iraqi forces from Kuwait and then stop.

These ludicrous attempts by the right to smear Colin Powell are simply insane. Face the reality. Your stupid politics and policies drove off the best hope your party ever had.

I can't say I have very much respect for Colin Powell. For him to lie (or at least give completely incorrect information) to the entire world about Iraq shows that he is somewhat incompetent at best or a weak follower of Bush at worst.

I will give him credit for leaving the Bush adminstration and also for publicly opposing the Republicans later on. But the damage was done when he presented the case to the public/world that led to a totally unnecessary war based on all lies and false information. Nobody forced him to do that.

I give the man this: He didn't run and hide from the blame. I agree with Dawg too, If he backed McCain, he would still be the Greatest Ever to the Right.

Powell Opposed The Surge

How's this for "impeccable credentials":

-- Opposed finishing off Saddam in 1991.

-- Went to the UN and told the world Saddam had WMD.

-- After Iraq turned into a disaster, opposed the surge.

Did Powell call for Iraq to be divided into three countries like his good buddy Joe Biden did?

::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::::LMAO::

If we had listened to clowns like Biden, Powell and Obama and had it not been for the heroic courage of Gen Petraeus and John McCain, Iraq would have turned into an al-Qaida bloodbath.

Folks, the only guy with a worse FP record than Colin Powell is Joe Biden!

This endorsement will not only fade quickly, it's ALREADY faded.

As if you didn't know already...

DEMOCRATS CANNOT BE TRUSTED WITH NATIONAL SECURITY!!

Ah -- I see you figured out who Colon Powell really is. A political appointment advanced and used strickly because of his skin color. Other than that, he had no redeeming quality in life.

I can't say I have very much respect for Colin Powell. For him to lie (or at least give completely incorrect information) to the entire world about Iraq shows that he is somewhat incompetent at best or a weak follower of Bush at worst.

I will give him credit for leaving the Bush adminstration and also for publicly opposing the Republicans later on. But the damage was done when he presented the case to the public/world that led to a totally unnecessary war based on all lies and false information. Nobody forced him to do that.

I've read quite a few of the books written by the disillusioned of the Bushites. Powell was adamant about not including the yellowcake reference in his Feb. 4 speech before the U.N. unless CIA could virtually promise him that the intel was good. What CIA didn't tell Powell was that they cherry-picked the Nigeria intel and that most of the analyst at CIA did not think the report was credible. Once Powell found out the buffoon and Cheney had used him because of his impecable internation reputation, he kicked them to the curb. I welcome his testimony before the grand jury. . .

I've read quite a few of the books written by the disillusioned of the Bushites. Powell was adamant about not including the yellowcake reference in his Feb. 4 speech before the U.N. unless CIA could virtually promise him that the intel was good. What CIA didn't tell Powell was that they cherry-picked the Nigeria intel and that most of the analyst at CIA did not think the report was credible. Once Powell found out the buffoon and Cheney had used him because of his impecable internation reputation, he kicked them to the curb. I welcome his testimony before the grand jury. . .

I think that if he is going to put his reputation (and that of his country) on the line and tell the whole world that there needs to be this war, he is responsible for doing his own research on the situation. If there were so many in the CIA who opposed this, there should have been an opportunity for Powell to discover the problems with the intelligence. This is not a decision to take lightly with just the limited evidence of a few of the superiors. As Secretary of State, I think he should be held to very high standards and that he is fully responsible for whatever he winds up saying.

Again, I do give him credit for going against the administration since then, but I don't think he did a good job at all as Secretary of State. For me, he still lost a lot of trust and credibility since he is the one who built the whole case for the war. Even if he improved afterwards, I still don't know that I would trust him in future political positions (if that's what he wants). He seems too submissive and/or incompetent for me at least in the role he had. Maybe he would be better in a military strategy position.

mr merlin

EOG Master

One thing needs to be understood. Colin Powell, as chairman of the JCS, had ZERO strategic or tactical input into the course of the American action in Desert Storm.

Desert Storm was conducted under UN Security Council Resolution 678. This resolution placed a deadline on Iraq to withdraw from Kuwait by 15 January 1991 and authorized members of the United Nations in cooperation with the Government of Kuwait to use "all necessary means to uphold and implement" United Nations Security Council Resolution 660.

That was it, nothing more... Expel Iraqi forces from Kuwait and then stop.

These ludicrous attempts by the right to smear Colin Powell are simply insane. Face the reality. Your stupid politics and policies drove off the best hope your party ever had.
An absurd comment dawg, our forces were deep into iraq for much of the 100 hour ground war - the fact is that the decision to stop at the 100 hour mark was made because Powell(and perhaps others) thought the carnage on the road out of kuwait city was excessive and looked bad, we allowed several republican guard divisions and their equipment to survive mostly intact(and they were used to put down the uprisings that followed).
If we had continued the war for another couple days it's likely that hussein would not have been able to put them down with or without our support. Admittedly our decision to allow the iraqis to continue flying helicopters played a role as well.

An absurd comment dawg, our forces were deep into iraq for much of the 100 hour ground war - the fact is that the decision to stop at the 100 hour mark was made because Powell(and perhaps others) thought the carnage on the road out of kuwait city was excessive and looked bad, we allowed several republican guard divisions and their equipment to survive mostly intact(and they were used to put down the uprisings that followed).

An absurd comment merlin (grand wizard, perhaps). The decision to STOP the ground war was totally at the command of the, then, commander in chief, President George H. W. Bush. He made the decision because Iraq, and Saddam Hussein, had to remain in place as a buffer to Iran.

Here is Brent Scrowcroft when asked about the reason America didn't continue further:

Brent Scowcroft: We were trying to set a pattern for behavior in the post-Cold War world. We were operating under a UN mandate. If we said, "Okay, we've fulfilled the mandate but now we want to go on and do some more," that's a bad precedent to set for people relying on the United States to do what the UN mandates and not further.

The uprisings that follwed after Desert Storm were put down because, much like the Bay of Pigs, the untrustworthy American GOVERNMENT issued empty promises.

You, and the rest of the Republicrat sycophants, can try and lay this at the feet of Colin Powell, but it just won't stick. Keep spinning it, though. It provides a great laugh.