Come On Pac-12...You Lose To A 26 Point Dog!?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Texas Southern played the Ducks tough in Eugene last season but lost by a score of 74-68.

Texas Southern beat Baylor, 72-69, to start the season.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
According to Ken Pomeroy, Oregon was the highest-rated Pac-12 team in the country (#21) before the loss.

The Pac-12 went 0-3 in last year's NCAA Tournament.

Checking last season's NIT results (Hehe) right now.

Heim

EOG Master
Oregon is going to have some depth issues going forward. If Wooten (knee) out long they're down to 8 scholarship guys.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
They're not getting 4-5 star guys in bunches like the NC, Duke or Kentucky. It has a lot to do with exposure. Pac 12 Net is garbage if you can even get it.

Oregon just signed a JC player from Florida by way of the Dominican Republic.

You want baseball players from the Dominican, not basketball players.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Oregon dropped 10 places (from 21 to 31) in Pomeroy's rankings after the loss to Texas Southern.

Heim

EOG Master
I loved Altman at Creighton. He coached. Now he has a 7'2" kid shooting 3s while everyone stands around. To get these kids he's had to compromise his coaching and it shows. A Creighton team would never give up 57 in 2H to Southern.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Oregon remains the highest-rated Pac-12 team despite the loss to Texas Southern.

Arizona State sits at #42 on Pomeroy's scale.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I loved Altman at Creighton. He coached. Now he has a 7'2" kid shooting 3s while everyone stands around. To get these kids he's had to compromise his coaching and it shows. A Creighton team would never give up 57 in 2H to Southern.

Happened to Dean Smith and Coach K too.

They knew they had to surrender their defensive principles to recruit McDonald's All-Americans.

I think television is a factor too.

Not many people want to see players slap the floor and play 30 seconds of solid defense.

railbird

EOG Master
Happened to Dean Smith and Coach K too.

They knew they had to surrender their defensive principles to recruit McDonald's All-Americans.

I think television is a factor too.

Not many people want to see players slap the floor and play 30 seconds of solid defense.

wrong, they do want to see it. people pay for that, the people that don't are broke, they are getting free student tickets or watching on tv for free

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I can appreciate good D far more than a 3-point contest as long as its not like the Pistons of the 80’s. Unfortunately the fundamentals are not emphasized at the AAU and high school levels any more, it’s all about me now.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
More college teams should adopt a FIBA-like style to combat the AAU one-on-one play

I appreciate elements of both styles.

And I loved guys like Manu Ginobili who could thrive in any style of game.

Heim

EOG Master
AUB would be in the conversation for national champ if Texas Southern's Trayvon Reed had been able to survive there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heim

EOG Master
You can see why McDee AA go to North Carolina. They can do whatever they want. Once they give up their dribble then they look to pass. No offense...no spacing as long as they get their 20.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
You can see why McDee AA go to North Carolina. They can do whatever they want. Once they give up their dribble then they look to pass. No offense...no spacing as long as they get their 20.

Raw talent underdeveloped.

Basketball academies are desperately needed.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Oregon dropped 10 places (from 21 to 31) in Pomeroy's rankings after the loss to Texas Southern.

Early in the season, ken pom’s rankings are too dependent on preseason rankings. It takes a lot to move a team up and down, all because of the ratings before the season. Leads to teams being very overrated on the point spread.

Miami has lost 4 in a row.. all to teams outside the top 50. They have only moved down from 20 to 40s, despite the obvious that they are not a top 40 team right now

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Ken Pom's rankings are pretty terrible early in the season imo.

LOL at Arizona State at #45

Early in the season, Ink, I like the anti-Ken Pom play, especially when the market supports the play.

Here's my thinking:

Team A is hosting Team B.

Pomeroy says Team A will win, 70-60.

You expect the market to open Team A -10 with a total of 130.

The opening number lists Team A as an 8-point favorite.

The gamblers jump on the underdog (betting against Pomeroy's model) and Team A closes a 6-point choice.

It is my experience in November and December that Team B is a live underdog in this spot.

But I don't think you want to adopt the strategy of betting against Pomeroy's model in February or March.

Valuist

EOG Master
If the San Francisco Dons were in the Pac 12, they would be the team to beat. The 3 best West Coast teams are Gonzaga, Nevada and USF.