Complaining About Officiating a Waste of Time

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
Technology has greatly surpassed the accuracy of human eyesight.

Officials see things in real time. Not super slow motion.

Go to a live game and see how hard it is to avoid contact with players then officiate with only the aid of human eyesight.

Heim

EOG Master
I do know that it's impossible to have a official place a ball down, have a snapper hike the ball and attempt a field goal
in one second. That's the problem....no common sense or knowledge of the rules. Some issues have nothing to do with live
action.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I do know that it's impossible to have a official place a ball down, have a snapper hike the ball and attempt a field goal
in one second. That's the problem....no common sense or knowledge of the rules. Some issues have nothing to do with live
action.

EVERY official worth anything (and whatever you want to say about CFB Refs - they earned/worked their way up to that level) has some clock management skills inside their head. In basketball when I know the clock is my responsibility I pay attention (as much as I can) to the clock until it gets to 10 seconds then I can pretty much count it down from there inside my head. I know how long certain plays take and I know when it has taken more time than the clock had.

O'Royken is also right in that officials sometimes see plays and pass on blowing the whistle. If I am down low and I see Team A push a Team B player out of the way down low to get into rebound position I am not calling a foul unless it is blatant OR the push impacts the play. If the shot goes in or bounces clear in the other direction I am not calling a foul. But if the ball lands where "B" was until "A" pushed him/her out of the way I am calling a foul and where it gets dicey is the push may have happened 3-5 seconds earlier when no one but me was watching and I call a pushing foul when no one but the "A" player is there I will frequently hear it from the stands (not that I care) or even "Coach A" until I quickly explain it to them. I have also had instances where a coach will ask "Didn't you see him (other team) travel?" Sometimes the player did travel but because a player from "A" fouled him and in this case my reply will be along the lines of, "I did. I saw him travel after your player fouled him." That usually shuts up the coach because I just told him I passed on a foul committed by one of his players.

So sometimes just because we think an official missed a call we need to go back and look at the entire play and see they passed on blowing the whistle because of something that happened a few seconds earlier that caused the violation later on.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated
action.

Yeah Bama got screwed on that. In the NFL they would have run 10 secs off the clock, in college they dont

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
With the advent of replay review, the one thing we no longer see with officials in basketball and umpires in baseball is the selling of calls.

Remember when NBA officials would emphatically call a charge or a first-base umpire would exaggerate his "out call" on a bang-bang play.

Now umpires or officials would look foolish if they tried to sell a call and replay reversed the decision.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
With the advent of replay review, the one thing we no longer see with officials in basketball and umpires in baseball is the selling of calls.

Remember when NBA officials would emphatically call a charge or a first-base umpire would exaggerate his "out call" on a bang-bang play.

Now umpires or officials would look foolish if they tried to sell a call and replay reversed the decision.

BINGO! We are told to "Sell the Call."

If there is a Block/Charge and you come out weak with the call you will leave some doubt in people's mind. Sell it STRONG and while you might not eliminate all doubt you get rid of most of it.

Sell the Sizzle - NOT the Steak

It's bad for the game when announcers keep telling us it was a bad call. It shines a negative light on officials. On close calls, half the viewers are going to be mad. It's the announcers that make it a big problem.