Congrats to Fezzik

QuantumLeap

EOG Member
Nice going, Fezz.

I just noticed at the bottom of that notice that last place finisher, Trading Laces-I, received $25,000 for a last place record of 2-18.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I can't think of anything negative to post so I will post congratulations and wait until I have another opportunity to trash Fezzy and his brother.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
Fezikz must be steaming about the game that cost him $161,000.

Sadly, the $10,000 would be disappointment. I don't think he finds too much excitement with that.

But i am sure he made it up on his bets to cover the disappointment of the game that cost him $161,000

Heim

EOG Master
Contest extraordinaire....

You look at the recent PG history

2-8 NFL sides L10

Pitt Thursday

Wash today.

Props the only unit lifeline.

andyfezzik

EOG Addicted
A good place to mention Steve actually participates in a lot of contests. The myth is that he was some nobody who rose out of nowhere to win two Hilton contests, and never did anything again. The reality is had already moved to Vegas 9 years prior to that, quitting a VP job to make the move, and was already well known enough by 2006 to be featured in the LA Times. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2006-apr-01-na-gambler1-story.html. Years before he won his first big contest.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Narrator: Steve Fezzik walked briskly to the betting window to get his bet in before game time and to get to the bathroom before #2 time.

By Fezzik’s high-rolling standards -- he averages about $60,000 in daily sports wagers -- the day was off to a slumbering start. He was anxious to pick up the pace.

“If you see a guy kicking back, drinking a beer and watching the game after he makes his bet, that guy ... is never going to make serious money. He is a loser,” Fezzik said, walking out of the Palms so briskly he was nearly running. “I’ve been known to sprint to the next betting window.”

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I thought it would be interesting to check what happened to the writer of this fluff piece and you can't make this shit up.

Then:

BY MIGUEL BUSTILLO
APRIL 1, 2006 12 AM PT
TIMES STAFF WRITER

Now:

Miguel Bustillo
@BustilloM
Global Energy and Climate Editor, the Wall Street Journal

Dell Dude

EOG Master

WSJ names Bustillo its global climate and energy editor​

BY CHRIS ROUSH · OCTOBER 25, 2021

Miguel Bustillo
Wall Street Journal editor in chief Matt Murray sent out the following announcement on Monday:
Dear All:
We’re pleased to announce that Miguel Bustillo will become Global Energy and Climate Editor, a move that will strengthen our energy coverage while positioning us to do more ambitious coverage of climate issues.
In addition to overseeing a U.S.-based team of reporters covering the energy industry, Miguel will work with editors and reporters in every coverage area and geography to shape our coverage of climate-related topics, from efforts to mitigate the impacts of global warming to international diplomacy to the increase in financial regulation and role of shareholder pressure.
Reporters and editors covering these areas will continue to report to their current coverage chiefs, but will coordinate with Miguel, who will lead our decision-making on these stories. Miguel will continue to report to Jamie Heller and will work closely with all of the coverage chiefs, as well as with visuals, audio and video.
To ensure that our energy coverage remains dominant as Miguel’s remit expands, we have posted a job opening for a Texas-based deputy energy editor, reporting to Miguel.
Miguel joined the Journal in 2008 to cover Wal-Mart and other retailers. As an editor, he oversaw U.S. News coverage of the western U.S., before becoming U.S. energy editor in 2016. In that role, he helped to lead the Journal’s agenda-setting coverage of the fracking boom, the deadly California wildfires sparked by PG&E and this year’s Texas freeze. The PG&E coverage won a Loeb and numerous other awards and was a Pulitzer finalist.
Prior to joining the Journal, Miguel spent 15 years at the Los Angeles Times, where he was a national correspondent, environmental writer and state political reporter, among other assignments. He lives in Houston with his wife, daughter, two dogs, two cats, and pet frog, and is known to be a tortured and intolerable Philadelphia sports fan.
Please join us in wishing Miguel every success in this role.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
So a lefty interviewing a lefty to promote his gambling tout brand with outlandish quotes and fake stories.

QuantumLeap

EOG Member
A good place to mention Steve actually participates in a lot of contests. The myth is that he was some nobody who rose out of nowhere to win two Hilton contests, and never did anything again. The reality is had already moved to Vegas 9 years prior to that, quitting a VP job to make the move, and was already well known enough by 2006 to be featured in the LA Times. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2006-apr-01-na-gambler1-story.html. Years before he won his first big contest.
I met Steve back in 2005, at one of theRX bashes at the Golden Nugget in Vegas. He and Winkyduck and me were sitting at a table during the buffet. I could tell he really knew his stuff back then.

Here's a picture of him (second from right) from that day with Marty, the owner of theRX at the time, at the far right.

Attachments

• P1010066.JPG
    P1010066.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 20

Heim

EOG Master
I met Fezzik at 'The M'.

Nice guy. Showed me his poker numbers
on one of the sites.

Adamant about a revenge cbb game at Boise. I won, he lost.

The feud with Boston was legendary.

Good times.

Darius Rucker went country

Fezzik went tout.

Nothing's been the same

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Many years ago, I also met Fezzik at the 'M' (just after it opened) in conjunction with a dinner of sports cappers organized by Tim Patterson of EOG fame and big fan of the SF Giants.

I sat with JK and the now deceased, Barry Holthaus to my left and Erin Rynning to my right. Fezzik picked up the tab except I insisted on paying my share to avoid any hint of future bias. Railbird crashed the dinner (as I remember) and had the lobster.

The next day Fez invited me to sit in the VIP front row next to his cubicle for SNF. Krackman made a short appearance to hedge his bets .. LOL. I was filmed in the background (just standing at the window) of the Lee Amatis/Lara Logan interview for the 60 minutes show about BW,

Great weekend.

MrTop

EOG Master
the M was a #1 draft pick. Met Fez there. I got scolded by mike C. for walking around the sports book??? Maybe a year later he calls me up and wants me to sign up. LOL

Heim

EOG Master
Why did they give Fezzik 2 units for a Ram teaser when he announced off all Ram teasers due to Covid issues?

I know 0-7 run, but come on.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
There was a story about Fezzik after he won the Hilton and was celebrating with his punter friends at an expensive restaurant and he refused to pick up the tabby and he said something smartalic. Or perhaps a different context. Does anybody remember?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
There was a story about Fezzik after he won the Hilton and was celebrating with his punter friends at an expensive restaurant and he refused to pick up the tabby and he said something smartalic. Or perhaps a different context. Does anybody remember?

I remember.

Coming soon.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I'm going to guess it was the opposite. Fezzik picked up the tabby and someone asked if he was going to share some of his winnings and Fezzik said he just did.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The year was 2009.

A group of Las Vegas sports bettors met every Tuesday afternoon at a bar on the southwest side of town to discuss the upcoming week's NFL action.

The size of the group ranged from 12 to 15 per week and the meetings featured public handicappers like Ted Sevransky, Bryan Leonard, Alf Musketa and Charlie Jack.

Defending Las Vegas Hilton SuperContest champion FEZZIK was the star of the handicapping sessions and he too would offer his NFL commentary.

FEZZ could be seen jotting down notes while other handicappers talked about injuries, weather, team morale and more.

Late in the 2009 NFL season, it looked as though FEZZIK had a chance to win a second straight SuperContest title.

With the help of some collective wisdom from the "Tuesday Group," FEZZIK nabbed the victory in Week 17 to take home the top prize of more than $196,000.

In newspaper articles featuring Fezzik's back-to-back SuperContest victories, FEZZ credited "tireless research" as the key to his victory.

No mention of the "Tuesday Group."

After the NFL season was complete, the handicappers who met every Tuesday gathered for one final week for NFL playoff handicapping.

FEZZIK graciously picked up the tab at the final meeting as many people ordered off the bar menu and toasted the first-ever back-to-back champion of the Las Vegas Hilton SuperContest.

It was a generous offer by FEZZIK despite the slight in the newspapers.

One jealous member of the "Tuesday Group" could not contain himself and after FEZZ thanked everyone for their contributions, someone from the back of the room hollered out what others were obviously thinking.

"WHERE'S OUR CUT OF THE $200,000?"

To which FEZZIK replied without hesitation, "You're eating it."

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
0-9-1 (-21.37) L10

How bad has it been lately? They're combining the 2020 record with 2021.

No worries. A 10 unit play on no OT in
SB is right around the corner.

andyfezzik

EOG Addicted
Steve's usually quick to pick up the tab at dinner. Have to be really fast to keep his hands off the check, and if you get it first he'll challenge you to a round of poker with a dollar bill to try to take it away from you. That's a rigged game as he keeps bills in his wallet with large numbers of the same digit in the serial number.

andyfezzik

EOG Addicted
Dell Dude, first time I've ever seen Steve called a "lefty". I'd characterize him as right leaning in his overall views with a near total indifference to politics. He supports vaccines but that's neither left nor right. That's just common sense.

Heim

EOG Master
Nope....not going to mention Fezzik giving out DEN +3....then going over the top with CIN +3.

Wife: Honey where are you going?

Husband: Shit, have to put in another parlay card with Cincinnati b4 kickoff 😐

😅