Cubs and White Sox World Series

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
Chicago Cubs vs Chicago White Sox +4875

it's very rare that both these teams are good simultaneously, so the potential for an actual world series matchup between the cross town rivals is pretty unprecedented in most of our lifetimes.

what a shame if it were to occur and instead of it being a Red Line series, it would be in freakin Texas.

the atmosphere in Chicago for a Cubs/Sox World Series would be off the charts.

hopefully the Cubs can keep the window open for 1 more year and 2021 All Chicago World Series can still be a possibility

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Dunning has flown under the radar as a little goldmine. The Sox just crush bad pitching. I haven’t seen much good pitching by a single team that can stop them. I think their playing in good weather in October will help the bats. The cubs will have to win with pitching. I’ve come to the realization that the lineup is basically what they are - solo HR’s or nothing.

They say they might allow limited fans at the playoffs. Can you imagine the demand for limited seats in Arlington for a Chicago series?

Valuist

EOG Master
Both are in top 5 in road win pct. Only LAD, Tampa and Miami have better road records.

How about a Sunshine State WS? Perfect for a year where fans aren't allowed.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The last time the Cubs and White Sox qualified for the postseason in the same season was 2008.

No need to research the results.

The Chicago teams combined to go 1-6.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If memory serves, the Cubs were heavily favored (-200 or thereabouts) to defeat the Dodgers in the 2008 NLDS.

Only one problem: the Cubs could not hit Dodger pitching (Derek Lowe, Chad Billingsley and Hiroki Kuroda), getting outscored 20-6 in a three-game sweep.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Do you upgrade or downgrade the White Sox for winning 18 of 20 games this season against AL Central dregs Detroit and Kansas City?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
They did pound the cubs and Twins also. The NL Central isn’t very good either.

the Sox did hit the over on wins this week already.

Valuist

EOG Master
Do you upgrade or downgrade the White Sox for winning 18 of 20 games this season against AL Central dregs Detroit and Kansas City?

You downgrade them when looking to make 2021 RSW totals. They are going to have a huge jump up in win pct, which alone makes them a regression candidate, and they are coming off a 2019 season in which they led MLB in BABIP.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
The last time the Cubs and White Sox qualified for the postseason in the same season was 2008.

If they were to meet in a 2021 all Chicago World Series would you try to attend?

Also, on a different topic, why do you like Erik Spoelstra as a coach, and I'm not implying that you shouldn't?

Interesting to note that he is of Filipino descent and is a native born American.

From Basketball Reference:

Born: November 1, 1970 (Age: 49) in Evanston, Illinois
High School: Jesuit High School in Beaverton, Oregon
College: University of Portland

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If they were to meet in a 2021 all Chicago World Series would you try to attend?

Also, on a different topic, why do you like Erik Spoelstra as a coach, and I'm not implying that you shouldn't?

Interesting to note that he is of Filipino descent and is a native born American.

From Basketball Reference:

Born: November 1, 1970 (Age: 49) in Evanston, Illinois
High School: Jesuit High School in Beaverton, Oregon
College: University of Portland

I remember Spoelstra as the starting point guard for the Portland Pilots in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Little-known fact: Spoelstra was on the court at Gersten Pavilion the day in 1990 when Hank Gathers collapsed and died.

Spoelstra went from video coordinator of the Miami Heat in 1995 to Pat Riley's hand-picked successor in 2008.

Riley claimed Spoelstra was "born to coach."

But my favorite part of Erik Spoelstra's resume: He married a former Miami Heat cheerleader who is 18 years younger than him.

Haha.

1600511201601.png

MrTop

EOG Master
cubs best players are not hitting the ball in 2020.. The cubs got darvish for a reason . Here it is

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Who's better than the WSox in the AL right now?
I think Oakland is a better fundamental team, so is a healthy Yankee team. What will decide these playoffs will be the bullpens. There will be no off days, so the bullpens will take on a bigger role.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sixteen of 30 MLB teams make the playoffs this season.

From a 10-team playoff format to a 16-team crapshoot.

Ridiculous.

Heim

EOG Master
I think Oakland is a better fundamental team, so is a healthy Yankee team. What will decide these playoffs will be the bullpens. There will be no off days, so the bullpens will take on a bigger role.

Oakland has some key injuries too.....not sure they can overcome Chapman gone for the season and Pinder's right
hand bat will be out for a few weeks.