Cubs

Valuist

EOG Master
The Cardinals are like a talented horse who finds ways to lose. The kind of horse that makes a big move to come up to the leaders but doesn't want to go by. They start looking around, not changing leads, and when the finish line hits, someone is in front of them. That's the impression the 2019 Cardinals give.

MrTop

EOG Master
The Cardinals are like a talented horse who finds ways to lose. The kind of horse that makes a big move to come up to the leaders but doesn't want to go by. They start looking around, not changing leads, and when the finish line hits, someone is in front of them. That's the impression the 2019 Cardinals give.

true they have does that all year. Pecota was big on the cardinals this year.

blueline

EOG Master
The Cubs are among the teams showing interest in Nick Castellanos. They probably want to move Jason Heyward to center, add Castellanos RH bat in right. This one has some teeth.
— Chris McCosky (@cmccosky) July 21, 2019

MrTop

EOG Master
Baseball GM said cubs looking to deal swarber. Hard to get rid of heyward contract unless cubs pay or a switch for same bad contract. Sure it could happen heyward not lighting up scoreboard.

Valuist

EOG Master
Baseball GM said cubs looking to deal swarber. Hard to get rid of heyward contract unless cubs pay or a switch for same bad contract. Sure it could happen heyward not lighting up scoreboard.

Heyward actually having a decent year. He's on pace to top 20 HRs for first time since 2012, drive in over 70 and the .823 OPS (best since 2010) and .467 SP is his best since 2012. If he had done this every year, you could live with the big contract. Just can't live with a contract like that with his 2016-2018 production.

MrTop

EOG Master
heyward better but not enough offense out of the whole outfield. They will probably make a deal. Cubs outfield 18th in WAR. Stl Louis only 2 out in the loss. Theo remembers last year's fold and won't let it happen again.

MrTop

EOG Master
theo brings up happ , hitting .233 in minors. Naturally goes 0-3 whiff , swarber hitting .223 pinch hits .. whiff ... maddon leads off the catcher whiffs 24% cubs lose to brewers . …………..Cubs whiff 12x in 30 at bats vs brewers fri night… too many sluggers on the team not enough hitters. .. Relief terrible in last 30 days.

now in 2nd place .

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Cubs are now 55-48 and on pace to win 86 or 87 games.

Regular-season win total opened 89.5 and was bet down to as low as 87.

Is Joe Maddon's job in jeopardy?

Westgate before the season started had a pick 'em price (-110 either way) on the Cubs qualifying for the MLB postseason.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Barring a WS appearance, Maddon will not be back. I know a team 8 miles south that could use him.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Barring a WS appearance, Maddon will not be back. I know a team 8 miles south that could use him.

Sounds like a good move for everyone involved.

One thing's for sure: The press conference to introduce the new White Sox manager would not include a detailed biography.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Sounds like a good move for everyone involved.

One thing's for sure: The press conference to introduce the new White Sox manager would not include a detailed biography.
The feeling from Cub higher-ups is Maddon has entered the Ditka part of his career. It’s not Maddon the manager any more, it’s Maddon the brand. Teams are not paying managers big money any more, they want Yes-Men in the position, like the Dodgers.

MrTop

EOG Master
cubs need toget rid of 2nd baseman garcia . stinks 37% k rate.

cubs struck out 12 times yeasterday 2 days in a row. Hit.167 yesterday.

theo is in a fog.

get rid of swarber, happ & garcia. Look for a left fielder/leadoff hitter and middle relief. Bring russell up to play 2nd.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

theo is in a fog.

get rid of swarber, happ & garcia. Look for a left fielder/leadoff hitter and middle relief. Bring russell up to play 2nd.
I doubt Russell plays for them again. His head is elsewhere. He had an awful series last weekend with a key error and several mental errors. The cubs are reluctant to take on more salary also. One thing that could help is it sounds like Zobrist is coming back.

blueline

EOG Master
Lester struck out a season-high nine, but the lingering effects of a fever forced manager Joe Maddon to pull him after seven innings and 94 pitches.

“I was gassed,” said Lester, who coughed several times during a two-minute interview. “The sixth and seventh inning got to me. I was dead. (Saturday) was my last day on a Z-Pak (an antibiotic), so I had to grind through it. Every pitch matters.

Valuist

EOG Master

theo is in a fog.

I have no problem with Garcia. He's made some nice plays in field and has power. Just hit the longest HR into McCovey Cove last week in nearly ten years.

MrTop

EOG Master
I have no problem with Garcia. He's made some nice plays in field and has power. Just hit the longest HR into McCovey Cove last week in nearly ten years.

i admit very early with Garcia., , the cubs have quite a few players that do not make contact with their AB. They have the same team as last year , maybe worse.

MrTop

EOG Master
Garcia got sent down .Struck out 4x on wednesday. The cubs got kemp from astros who does not strikeout. Better than garcia. Kemp is now the 2nd baseman . The cubs got the top of the batting order straighten out . Zobrist should be available by September. This will be a close race with the cardinals who have better relief than the cubs.

Valuist

EOG Master
Remember how great this team was defensively? Clearly the best defense in defensive runs saved in 2016, slipped a bit to 5th in 2017 and fell way off to 17th in 2018. This year they rank 8th, but my impression in 2016 was the team would likely be top 3 defense the next 5 years. That hasn't happened. Baez is a great defender and Heyward and Rizzo are solid but the rest haven't been as good as I thought. Russell not being with them has hurt defensively.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Remember how great this team was defensively? Clearly the best defense in defensive runs saved in 2016, slipped a bit to 5th in 2017 and fell way off to 17th in 2018. This year they rank 8th, but my impression in 2016 was the team would likely be top 3 defense the next 5 years. That hasn't happened. Baez is a great defender and Heyward and Rizzo are solid but the rest haven't been as good as I thought. Russell not being with them has hurt defensively.
The baserunning is awful also. All of the little things they used to do, they quit doing. It’s a big factor in their poor road record.

MrTop

EOG Master
2016 team hit better along with striking out less . The cubs strikeout 3-4% & more now than in 2016. Cubs relief is 23rd in the 2nd half in 2019. Swarber killing them this year in left. The balls fall in more now then in 2016. Zobrist was a good fielder in 2016. A younger fowler in center. , Heywood was better in right in 2016. This castellos pick up this year can hit but he cannot field. Theo needs to get better players. One good note they turned darvish around. The cubs pitchers were 3rd in strikeouts in 2016...in 2019 they are 22nd

Last edited:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Darvish has pitched much better, agree. The cubs rotation is not built for the way Maddon likes to use the bullpen. It doesn’t do much good to have a rotation pitch 5 innings only to see the middle relief continue to give up runs.

MrTop

EOG Master
Darvish has pitched much better, agree. The cubs rotation is not built for the way Maddon likes to use the bullpen. It doesn’t do much good to have a rotation pitch 5 innings only to see the middle relief continue to give up runs.

Cubs have the oldest starting rotation in MLB. The cubs have to pitch to contact cause they cannot get the strikeouts when they need them. So they leaves the cubs to field the ball. The yankess were not winning championships by pitching to contact. Even the cubs in 2016 were third in pitching whiffs. The cubs need a complete overhaul .

Last edited: