DeFilippo Fired....

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
From Super Bowl to Vikings to unemployment line in less than a year.....was the offensive coordinator....

I guess Zimmer or Cousins can’t take any blame....

kane

EOG master
In his career Cousins has started 28 games against teams with a winning record, he's 4-24 in those games, the Vikings needed a scape goat

kane

EOG master
this is an average club .. the defense is not great either.

I don't know Topper, their D is pretty good. In terms of points allowed they're 11th in the league, and going by yards given up they're 5th

MrTop

EOG Master
not good enough to win the big one. When a team is 11th in scoring defense , a team needs to be in the top 5 in offense. Their Defense not punishing enough combined with a average offense.

overall average team at best.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Who will they fire next week if they lose to Miami? Miami did beat NE. A total overreaction, it's pretty clear Zimmer is a hothead who cant take the heat.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Mike Zimmer is an outstanding defensive coordinator disguised as a head coach at a time when creative offenses rule the league.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
I would like to be a bug on the wall when these conversations took place. Norv Turner walked away because of Zimmer complaining about the offense. Somehow, Zimmer coexisted with Shurmur. In my opinion, the OC and DC are more important than the head coach.

Zimmer made a bad, bad mistake again last night by going for it when the Vikes were down 6. They came away with 0. If Down 6-3 - the team can get the ball back and and they are not under the gun to score a touchdown. He was basically putting his defense at risk of letting the game get out of hand with the threat of giving up a field gol and the Vikes would be down two scores. Down 6-3 - they can give up a field goal and still overcome that.

The only way Zimmer knows how to coach is - make this kick or you are fired - team did not score enough points so you are fired. Run the ball more or you are fired. I am ready to say, Zimmer -" figure it out - win the next three games or YOU are fired! "

That statement he made at halftime against the Bears "I am not going to let my own kicker beat me!" Was enough - he should have been fired right there. So, know he makes HS decisions with the kicking game and he is costing the team the best chances to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrTop

EOG Master
talent not there. Whoever picks/signs for the Vikes has to go first. The coach usually gets the blame on most teams cause the owner is the idiot like in the Mets , not getting the best GM available. The GM always points at the coaches to be fired when it could be him more than anything. Now if the coach has the most input in selecting players and loses he must go.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Bucky, I agreed with Zimmer's decision to go for the touchdown on fourth-and-goal from Seattle's one-yard line when trailing 6-0.

The play calls were not ideal but the decision to go for it, I felt, was correct.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Bucky, I agreed with Zimmer's decision to go for the touchdown on fourth-and-goal from Seattle's one-yard line when trailing 6-0.

The play calls were not ideal but the decision to go for it, I felt, was correct.
i didn't have a problem with it either, of course it was basically an admission that they were an inferior team that might not get down there again.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
i didn't have a problem with it either, of course it was basically an admission that they were an inferior team that might not get down there again.

I don't like the idea of playing for a 6-6 tie either (One field goal now and one field goal later).

Could force you to overtime which might hurt your chances the following week.

Small point but a legitimate one.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
All I know is they have not done well going for it on fourth down. There is the psychological letdown of coming away with no points. 4th and 2 - the run would not get a first down 1 in 10 tries for the Vikes-they are that bad. Have to look at the stats as it seems like they are 0 for the last 5. Teams do not respect them on the play action fake. Having to resort to a pass to pick it up because they have a zero chance running for it. Time to come up with some plays you can make 2 yards when you need it instead of the crap they have been running.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Team performance is a critical factor in determining the right strategy.

I was assuming league average when making my decision.

Interestingly, commentators Jason Witten and Booger McFarland had a debate on the right strategy in that spot.

It wasn't surprising the offensive-minded Witten said to go for the touchdown while the former defensive tackle, McFarland, wanted to take the three points.

Witten, I thought, won the argument when he asked rhetorically, "What game are you watching, Booger?"

Valuist

EOG Master
I have no problem with the Vikings going for the TD on 4th down. They failed, so Seattle ends up with the ball on their own 1.5 yard line. I thought the blocked FG on the clear launching by Wagner was the turning point. Vikings just gave up after that.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The 40-yard run down the left sideline by Russell Wilson came two plays after the blocked field goal.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Oh, yes - I agree with these two comments. Some of these decisions are coin flips. When a team is on a roll - they are getting them right. There certainly have been teams that can overcome this type of adversity somehow, some way. Find a way to win the game.

BigDeemer

EOG Dedicated
They should have kicked imo. It wasn’t like Seattle was setting the world on fire on the offensive side, you were gonna have 1-2 possessions left.