Del Mar 2019

alldaycapper

EOG Veteran
I was at opening day yesterday. Been going to Del Mar for years. Crowd was very light for opening day. Employees had no idea what they were doing. PETA out in full force more than usual. People leaving after second race. Never seen that many people getting shut out from betting. I left after 5 races. RIP Cali racing. I won’t be back.

waco

EOG Dedicated
If you have TVG OR XPRESS BET account like I do, you never have to leave your seat and stand in those lines!!

alldaycapper

EOG Veteran
I only stood in those lines when I was leaving. Took 20 minutes to cash out. Lines moved faster at the Kentucky derby when you have experienced tellers working.

Del Mar will be a ghost town like Santa Anita very soon.

alldaycapper

EOG Veteran
Agree blue line. I’m not betting today’s card.

If Del Mar only got 31k for opening day it should be a ghost town today.

Screw Andrews

EOG Dedicated
Clear the Mine nailed Ted W in deep stretch to win Wednesday's third race in a desperate finish.

The favorite beat the second choice by a neck.

Chalk, chalk, chalk in the meet's first three races.

The 50-cent Pick 3 paid $8.50.

Those that follow Gabe had this....easy money right.....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I was at opening day yesterday. Been going to Del Mar for years. Crowd was very light for opening day. Employees had no idea what they were doing. PETA out in full force more than usual. People leaving after second race. Never seen that many people getting shut out from betting. I left after 5 races. RIP Cali racing. I won’t be back.

Uh oh.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I watched the Opening Day replays.

I'm not going to watch Thursday's replays.

Only seven races yesterday.

Looks bad.

And to think I became accustomed to eight-race SoCal cards.

What's next?

Six races?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The three biggest betting pools Thursday at Del Mar predictably were the Early Pick 5, the Late Pick 5 and the Late Pick 4.

All three pools exceeded $500,000.

blueline

EOG Master
I ended up liking yesterdays card and doing well....actually bet and won 2 grass races....you never know

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
yesterdays 1st race provided the clue for the 4th race winner

Love it.

That works in sports handicapping, too.

At times, the most telling information is not revealed until the price is established.

In horse racing, it's the morning-line price where in sports betting, it's the opening number.

Sagarin's math model in college basketball is "connected" meaning when Yale plays Brown on Friday night that Connecticut's power rating is affected before its Saturday game.

waco

EOG Dedicated
Got shut out yesterday and it was a winner!! I always play 5 place all at Del Mar. Yesterday I was putting in my 5th place all at Del Mar and got shut out. I looked up and a horse was going in the gate. So I held on to the numbers just to check. I had the 13 in a race and it come in 3rd and I was happy. Then I check and 7 out of 8 won which would of made me a winner. It paid $2500 for $2 and I had it for a $1. If this ever happens again I will rip up the Numbers that I got shut out!! Its my fault for waiting til the last minute!! Oh well we all got stories like this!!

blueline

EOG Master
Meantime, racetracks promote a Rainbow or Jackpot Pick 6 with an effective daily takeout of 60-70%.

It's the worst bet at the track until mandatory payout day arrives.

Ugh.

LAD jackpot about to go over 300K. It keeps growing little by little because the fields are short and it's a dime bet. Dont know when the mandatory payout days are if any.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
You've gotta be an ass to bet the mules.

I get a kick outta betting the mules.

Or my favorite: I love when my mule wins by a nose, a stubborn nose that is.