Did you see Zion play?

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Going to be fun to watch. He can pass it on the dime from 20 yards. Mark Jackson thinks he should play a 5? For sure strong enough.

What looked the most interesting is when he rebounds - he brings it up himself!!! Starts the offense and sure see a freight train coming if they do anything but sag on him?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I wish him well. His body will not hold up for an entire season at that weight. One game. Great for him. Now do it B2B and a few games in a ow and I will be impressed. Nice first game. Now show me you can repeat this again. And again.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
But, LOL - he doesn't need any practice. Lonzo Ball is great with him. By playing - his turnovers will go down but he has like octopus hands - what a great off hand - no way they will be able to guard him with a big guy except sag and let him have his shots.

What will it take to let him loose? They could have won that game last night if they let him play out the 4th quarter?

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
I don't believe Alvin Gentry will play him B2B given his development and inexperience (or so we thought before yesterday). However his minutes will certainly be increased and Gentry may change his tune but could still keep his minutes modest. Making the postseason could St least benefit early given early round skipping at home and with travel days.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Pelicans are playing it safe after Zion missed the first 13 weeks of the season with a torn meniscus.

Zion played 18 minutes in his NBA debut and 21 minutes tonight.

He scored 22 points against San Antonio and 15 points against the Nuggets.

New Orleans fell to 0-2 straight up and against the spread with Zion in the starting lineup.

The Pelicans closed slight home favorites (-3.5 versus the Spurs and -4 versus the Nuggets at CGT) in both games.

Chi_Archie

EOG Veteran
they need to really play it safe, but more than anything they need nutritionist and strength/exercise coaches to instill in him the habits that will slowly drop his weight, or he'll be facing the problems of a Mid 30 year old high impact player, in year 2 or 3 in the pros.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
I am not sure he would be as successful at 240 pounds. The beauty of his game is he can defend a 5 because of his weight and too quick for a big inside on offense.

His 3 point shot is a set shot and 3 spot guys would certainly take that away by guarding him.

There is no guarantee his meniscus would hold up at 240 or less. Ask Derrick Rose - Brandon Roy - many others.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
27 minutes today.

his second just is something that reminds me of a young Charles Barkley. Not the tallest but his ability to jump and get up again is second to none.

he looks too explosive for his body to handle.

he will be injured before the end of the season if he is allowed to play 30+ minutes per game on a regular basis.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
27 minutes today.

his second just is something that reminds me of a young Charles Barkley. Not the tallest but his ability to jump and get up again is second to none.

he looks too explosive for his body to handle.

he will be injured before the end of the season if he is allowed to play 30+ minutes per game on a regular basis.

Good point, Sporty.

Same situation befell Derrick Rose.

He was too twitchy for his own good.

The violent jump stops finally caught up to him.