Do any of you guys read (like books)?

I have read a lot of fiction lately. Currently reading Catch 22. Good stuff!

Tv show Mash totally stole from this novel.

waco

EOG Dedicated
Re: Do any of you guys read ( like books ) ?

Book was written 50 years ago.

Does that mean it no longer should be read ?

How about shakespeare; which I hate ?

Or the ultimate work of fiction

The bible

Heim

EOG Master

Became what I called a "functional illiterate" while working as a lawyer. Read so much at work and handicapping football that . . .

Since retiring from the day (and night) job, I've read:

G. Vulpetti, L. Johnson & G. Matloff, Solar Sails: A Novel Approach to Interplanetary Travel, (2d ed. 2015)

Yeah, I'm a total Star Trek Forever certified space geek.

But I must confess I glossed over the math bits. Think those were written for Crick (2W2P2S) and ComptrBob, lol.

-- -- --

So you did see the movie Mash didn't you?

A fifty year old textbook is worthless but fiction endures unless so old it is in unreadable language like shakespeare,,,, or the bible.

I like that near fifty year old music just fine too !

What book books do you guys like ?

Sure I saw the Mash movie. However 70 pages into Catch_22, they stole a lot from Joe Heller.

Yeah, I'd have to re-read it to see what you're talking about. Been a long, long time.

The TV Mash got to be so soppy and moralizing that I couldn't stand to watch it. Change the channel every time I see Alan Alda -- in anything -- now.

Pierce is clearly based on Yossarian and his frustration with military life and how it drives him nuts.

These guys keep having to fly more missions to get to their level needed for discharge and they keep raising it when achieved. Mash stole that and called it rotation points or something

Squarepants: if you like sci_fi like me.

I,ll suggest a back in time tale by jack finney. Google for a summary in detail. Basically going from 1970 to 1880 in nyc

Time and again

Sequel

From time to time

railbird

EOG Master

art of war. teaches that 2 is greater than 1 and strike the enemy from behind in the morning.. also fight from top of the hill intead of bottom

railbird

EOG Master

book of proverbs says to be slow to anger

railbird

EOG Master

only so many days in life, only so many hrs in day, so be taskful, thoughtful and thankful. this is my line

railbird

EOG Master

tom seaver art of pitching tells us it is very important to get ahead 0-1

The shit they force you to read in school sucks. I just re_read lord of the flies, almost quit halfway through.

I read a lot of stephen king, he can become rather verbose, as he often gets near a thousand pages, but he writes well and prolifically.

Did a bird turd in mine thread ?

I'll put it on my to read list. The Amazon description includes high praise from Stephen King.

When I was a kid, I read science fiction for like several years nonstop. During that time we lived a year in Danvers, Mass. and they had a public library in an old house there with an extensive science fiction collection. Was awesome.

These days, though, after nine years of almost solid overtime work at a desk in my late 40's and early 50's, I'm trying to get literally off my butt as much as possible -- allowing for the requirements of trying to make a living in the betting and financial markets.

Read the solar sailing book because one of the authors was giving an address over at the Griffith Observatory in Hollywood. So I pushed that up the to do list for that trip over there.

The fiction that I've had a hankering the most to read of late is Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander novels. The movie was so meticulous in getting the sailing and the time period dialogue substantially correct that they look a good read to me. Hopefully to be read on the rolling deck of a sailboat on the way to the next anchorage as in days past.

But, as I say, I'm trying mostly to get off my butt as much as possible while I still have the capacity to do so.

I understand square. I only read Finney because King mentioned his classic work in one his novels,,

I plan to curtail my reading now that the snow has melted.

Enjoy

peach

EOG Veteran

The Journal of Albion Moonlight by Kenneth Patchen
The Air Conditioned Nightmare by Henry Miller

peach

EOG Veteran

Shakespeare never gets old!

It doth to me

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

I read a ton of fiction.
I have read every book that Pahlinuak, Roth and Tom Wolfe have written and enjoy dark humor and dark fiction.
Any recommendations are always appreciated.
I'm currently on a big biography kick and can recommend quite a few good books. I belong to a readers club as well so if you like a genre or a obscure writer let me know and I'll see if any of the people I speak with could recommend anything.
Just read bust which is a very sad story about gambling addiction. Imagine owning Mahoney only in smaller sums of money and in Indiana. Still would recommend as there some pretty good tales of running it up and losing it all.
Thanks, Milk

GameBred

I Trade Therefore I Am

How about shakespeare; which I hate ?

When reading Shakespeare, he is not on trial, the reader is :)

Shakespeare is my favorite but haven't read a non sports investing book in years. I miss it actually, all serious readers suffer from the sins of omission, all the great books we will never get to read. Woe is us.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated
Re: Do any of you guys read (like books)?

Best book I've read this year is Peter Thiel's Zero to One.

waco

EOG Dedicated

READING "WHEN THE BALLS DROP" BY BRAD GARRETT(ROBERT BARRONE OF EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND) GOT IT YETERDAY AND READ 1/2 THE BOOK. CANT PUT IT DOWN. GREAT READ.

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

I Read a lot of novels now. After my wife left I had to reinvent myself.
I'm reading the entire Jack Reacher collection, a little over half way through them (20 in all).
Also reading the King and Maxwell series and over the years have read over 25 James Patterson books.
I've read all of Grisham's. There is more but I'm boring you now.

And yes, on Sundays I read the bible.

Drnkyourmlkshk

EOG Dedicated

I Read a lot of novels now. After my wife left I had to reinvent myself.
I'm reading the entire Jack Reacher collection, a little over half way through them (20 in all).
Also reading the King and Maxwell series and over the years have read over 25 James Patterson books.
I've read all of Grisham's. There is more but I'm boring you now.

And yes, on Sundays I read the bible.
Grisham. Have you read playing for pizza and the painted house? I loved both and he really showed his range as a author with those two!
If you like James Patterson I recommend Lawrence Block he's fantastic and usually writes from the criminal state of mind.

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

Drink, I have not read those two. I read all the others, kept away from those because they were not courtroom based.
But you are not the first person to tell me this...
I'll put them on my list.

waco

EOG Dedicated

ALSO READING "NEVER ENOUGH" BOUT LAWYER GAMBLED HIS CAREER AWAY. THIS COULD BE YOU